Tell us about shore excursions in Barbados

DFD1

We are sailing on the 11/26 cruise on the Volendam. One of the ports is Barbados. It has been 15 years since we were there, and never with HAL. How about some recommendations about the shore excursions. Thanks, DFD1

When we were there a couple of years ago, we arranged for a private tour. We had a great time at our own pace - it wasn't cheap (I think about $200 for the two of us), but we toured all day. Our guide was very informative and that added to our pleasure. We started out by touring a plantation, and then drove mostly along the Atlantic coast, stopping at different beaches and points of interest - we both like photography, so the scenery was the attraction for us. Our guide would stop where we asked him to and we spent as much time as we wanted to before moving on. We ended at the Green Monkey Reserve, making sure we were there at feeding time to see the most animals. Afterwards, we drove back to town along the Caribbean side. Frankly, we liked the more rugged Atlantic coast better. This was one of the best shore excursion experiences we've had in our five+ years of cruising.

It has been a long time since we been to Barbados but we did Harrison's Cave, and enjoyed it. We lucked out with the driver, since he also took us to the coast to see those big bolders.

Hi,

We were in Barbados last Feb. and decided not to take a planned excursion. I had a copy of a Barbados tourist guide from someone who had visited there earlier in the season. Boy, what a mistake! The places we had the cab take us to hadn't been built yet! He thought we were crazy when we showed him where we wanted to go. But we love Malibu rum, and ended our day at their factory & beach. We had Barbados' famous flying fish sandwich and plenty of rum drinks. The beach was beautiful. The tour of the factory was interesting, too!

Happy sailing...........

I think the most breathtaking place on the island, or perhaps the entire Caribbean, is Crane Beach and the Crane Beach Hotel. I understand you have to pay $5 or so for admission, but believe me, it's worth it. The sand is peachy pink colored and the rock cliffs and walkway are quite walkable. You can have lunch or a drink at the restaurant overlooking the beach.

It's a bit of a taxi drive from the pier, but if you share it with another couple it's pretty affordable.

The water is choppy and somewhat rough, so if you're looking for perfectly calm waters, this isn't where you want to go. But for sheer beauty, I think this is the best place on the island.

If you do a google for Crane Beach Hotel or Crane Beach, a lot of information will come up on the search. Check it out!!

Must agree with Melianne on Crane Beach. Went twice and it is the most beautiful spot in the Caribbean. It's a half hour to fourty minute drive depending on the driver. Our last driver was very informative and answered all of our questions as well as giving us a great tour. You can get lunch and drinks at the seaside bar and the view is fantastic. There is a web site that shows you how spectacular it is. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

Archived