Passport Clarification - driving to Vancouver

buckeye7

I thought I had this figured out, now I'm not so sure...

We are flying to Seattle, then driving to Vancouver to board the ship. Will we need passports, since we are not flying into Canada?? I was thinking we'd be safe with just birth certificates (and I hope I was right.)

We did apply for passports 12 weeks before our trip, but the way things are going, who knows if they'll come.

Anyone know?

You do not currently need a passport to cross into Canada by automobile. If you do not have a passport, I would also carry a photo ID along with the birth certificate.

Lew

Lew is correct. You will not need passports to enter Canada by vehicle, only if you were flying. Actually, you can still get into Canada without a passport flying, it would be your country requiring you to have one for your re-entry into the U.S.

Thank you for the quick responses.

:) Huge sigh of relief...

Now if you or anyone in your party have a criminal record, Canada may deny you entry into their country. I am no kidding. Do the search on this topic. Because if anyone with a record (including a DUI) wants to go to Canada, there is a possibility of a sort of a pardon by applying for one months in advance.

Now if you or anyone in your party have a criminal record, Canada may deny you entry into their country. I am no kidding. Do the search on this topic. Because if anyone with a record (including a DUI) wants to go to Canada, there is a possibility of a sort of a pardon by applying for one months in advance.

...and the same goes for Canadians going to the US

...and the same goes for Canadians going to the US

Well, not 100% true. A dui conviction (unless it is a felony) will not prevent you from entering the US. Conviction for possession of marijuana for personal use, a misdemeanor, no problem to come to the US. I believe not to be the same with Canada. Since you live in Canada, maybe you can set the record straight. It is my observation that Canada has become stricter with their immigration enforcement. I wish the US would do the same.

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: All persons entering Canada by air are required to present a valid U.S. Passport when entering or re-entering the United States. Land and sea travelers are also encouraged to have a valid U.S. passport. If they do not have a passport, they should be prepared to provide a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver's License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth or naturalization certificate..

U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid U.S. passport. A visa is not required for U.S. citizens to visit Canada of up to 180 days. Anyone seeking to enter Canada for any purpose besides a visit, (e.g. to work, study or immigrate) should contact the Canadian Embassy or nearest consulate prior to travel. Anyone with a criminal record (including some misdemeanors such as Driving While Impaired (DWI) charges) may be excluded or removed from Canada, and should contact the Canadian Embassy or nearest Canadian consulate well in advance of any planned travel for further processing, which may take some time.

Well, not 100% true. A dui conviction (unless it is a felony) will not prevent you from entering the US. Conviction for possession of marijuana for personal use, a misdemeanor, no problem to come to the US.

I agree.....

As I said in a previous heated thread on this, I seriously doubt that either computer system of either country is that up to date and accessible. :)

I would not worry much with other then felony convictions. :)

TAKE A PASSPORT! I live in Detroit and we cross the Windsor - Detroit border all the time. While they say you do not need a passpport it really depends on the border partol officer that you get. We have been held up and questioned more than a few times because someone did not have their passport with them. Mind you they were all American citizens born and living in the US. If you are travelling during a heightened security time you will have even more trouble. My advice to you as someone who has been through this many times is -

BRING A PASSPORT

TAKE A PASSPORT! I live in Detroit and we cross the Windsor - Detroit border all the time. While they say you do not need a passpport it really depends on the border partol officer that you get. We have been held up and questioned more than a few times because someone did not have their passport with them. Mind you they were all American citizens born and living in the US. If you are travelling during a heightened security time you will have even more trouble. My advice to you as someone who has been through this many times is -

BRING A PASSPORT

...a passport does not help at all, in the eighties I lived in Plymouth and worked in Windsor at the GM Hydramatic plant for two years on a special assignment, I had a passport and even then, occasionally your number would come up and I would have my car THOROUGHLY searched and would be delayed and questioned. I went across that border 5 times a week for two years. A passport had no effect on their random searches, stop trying to put some false fear into someone that they will be targeted without a passport - they won't!!!

...a passport does not help at all, in the eighties I lived in Plymouth and worked in Windsor at the GM Hydramatic plant for two years on a special assignment, I had a passport and even then, occasionally your number would come up and I would have my car THOROUGHLY searched and would be delayed and questioned. I went across that border 5 times a week for two years. A passport had no effect on their random searches, stop trying to put some false fear into someone that they will be targeted without a passport - they won't!!!

I am not trying to put a false fear I am trying to simply help someone get across a border quickly and efficiently. A passport will help do that. If you were crossing the border that many times red flags go up. It is a matter of fact. You did not need to make me feel like I was trying to care people. This passport question comes up so often and so many times people are given the advice to travel without a passport. We traveled this March from LA to Detroit through Chicago and in LAX we were asked for our passports four times before we even reached security. the people without passports were detained in very long lines. We were told that it was because of the country going to code red. So my advice stays the same Bring a passport. It is a much easier way to travel. Random searches not withstanding

By having a Passport with you, it makes it so much easier for you. We took out our Passports 4 years ago, not to enter Canada but to return to the USA. We left our airport and upon checking in, offered to show our PP. It was scanned and we were set.

I am not trying to put a false fear I am trying to simply help someone get across a border quickly and efficiently. A passport will help do that. If you were crossing the border that many times red flags go up. It is a matter of fact. You did not need to make me feel like I was trying to care people. This passport question comes up so often and so many times people are given the advice to travel without a passport. We traveled this March from LA to Detroit through Chicago and in LAX we were asked for our passports four times before we even reached security. the people without passports were detained in very long lines. We were told that it was because of the country going to code red. So my advice stays the same Bring a passport. It is a much easier way to travel. Random searches not withstanding

On a cruise - which is the whole point of this site, having a passport will not get you through any line any quicker or easier than not. You all get in the same lines on embarkation and debarkation, everyone says "easier" when in fact, there is truly no difference with the current configuration on cruises, you will be in a line behind many that have, and many that do not have them.

...your example on the Canadian border, absolutely never mattered whether you had a passport or not, if they wanted to hold you up they did - period, passport or not - and you are right, it absolutely depended on the person, not the documents - random searches are certainly part of that and they have a quota that they must meet - passports or not...

By having a Passport with you, it makes it so much easier for you. We took out our Passports 4 years ago, not to enter Canada but to return to the USA. We left our airport and upon checking in, offered to show our PP. It was scanned and we were set.

...and the people in the line ahead of you without passports, it was "difficult" for them :rolleyes:

...I am not arguing against passports, I am on my 4th, it is this "easier" comment, it just does not hold water...

On a cruise - which is the whole point of this site, having a passport will not get you through any line any quicker or easier than not. You all get in the same lines on embarkation and debarkation, everyone says "easier" when in fact, there is truly no difference with the current configuration on cruises, you will be in a line behind many that have, and many that do not have them.

...your example on the Canadian border, absolutely never mattered whether you had a passport or not, if they wanted to hold you up they did - period, passport or not - and you are right, it absolutely depended on the person, not the documents - random searches are certainly part of that and they have a quota that they must meet - passports or not...

The OP was talking about the Canadian border which had to be passed through in order to reach the cruise ship. As Americans we are not asked to show ID upon entering Canada only when returning to the US. I am speaking about my personal experience only which I have alot of since I live in Detroit which shares its border with Canada. I am only speaking about getting across the border when you are asked for identification, not when the Border Patrol decides to do a random search. A random search is something completely different and you are right, it won't matter what your documents are. if it is your turn to be searched you will be searched. That was never a part of this discussion. I am talking about when the Border Patrol askes for ID and a passport is handed to them versus a birth certificate or other form of ID. It is easier and quicker. I never said that having a passport woould make you jump lines on the way to the ship. That would be silly. I was simply trying to answer the OP's question with the experience that I had. I did not want to scare anyone or make anyone feel bad or mislead anyone. What would be my point in doing that

...and the people in the line ahead of you without passports, it was "difficult" for them :rolleyes:

...I am not arguing against passports, I am on my 4th, it is this "easier" comment, it just does not hold water...

Actually it is true that having a passport lessons the likelyhood of being questioned more thorougly and investigated more often. We have experienced this first hand. We're on our first passports (got them two years ago) and travel about 3 to 4 times a year into the U.S. or Mexico. Much quicker getting through US and Canadian customs now with passports. You have to remember, with a passport you have provided alot of information to the government in order to be issued one vs simply having been born to get a birth certificate.

I thought I had this figured out, now I'm not so sure...

We are flying to Seattle, then driving to Vancouver to board the ship. Will we need passports, since we are not flying into Canada?? I was thinking we'd be safe with just birth certificates (and I hope I was right.)

We did apply for passports 12 weeks before our trip, but the way things are going, who knows if they'll come.

Anyone know?

.......you better check to see if you need a passport to re enter the US.....either on your cruise ..........or a flight back.......;)

Archived