Parkwest Takes Over Rotterdam's Crow's Nest - Denies Passengers Access

I'm not sure the person quoted understood the situation. The Oak Room and Queen's Lounge aren't "public rooms" as the Crow's Nest is. I've never seen the Piano Bar serving during the daytime.

If there actually were equivalent public rooms, it wouldn't be such a problem, but the Crow's Nest is unique (as HAL loves to point out).

Exactly! This is typical of responses to questions I have submitted through the HAL website. I have gotten either no information or misinformation. That is why I will call ship services.

- Steve

( dangerous thing in my case)

Given all the HAL ships and all the sails in a year, there are a relatively few posts about so-called public areas of the ship being closed off , especially for the duration of the cruise. Sure it's happening, but some of this makes it sound like it's happening on every ship, every sail. And this is most definitely not the case.

I take this to mean that HAL has no intention of telling you whether or not they have sold off any of the public areas of the ship. But that they have the right to do so and if you don't like it too bad, go somewhere else where maybe you will be allowed in. Take it or leave it.

Take it or leave it? Ummm...I do believe I'd leave it! However, too bad HAL doesn't tell customers up front about this...and then let the customer decide if missing out on the Crow's Nest (or whatever area) will work for them.

How would everyone feel if you took a trip to Disneyland and found that half the park (or even certain rides) were closed because a special group paid extra to have exclusive use of these rides?

So everything goes to the highest bidder? And of course, it's all secret. You don't find out until you put your money on the counter. Then it's too late.

HAL has the right to do whatever they want...but they also have to understand that people don't have to agree with their decision, nor put up with it. I suppose this is another example of their..."we-can-do-want" clause that we enter into once we contract for a cruise. And how convienient for them that we don't find this out until we are on the ship.

Given all the HAL ships and all the sails in a year, there are a relatively few posts about so-called public areas of the ship being closed off , especially for the duration of the cruise. Sure it's happening, but some of this makes it sound like it's happening on every ship, every sail. And this is most definitely not the case.

So what if it's not on every cruise and every ship. But it matters to the people whose cruise is affected. Someday it might be me or you. Therefore we all should care.

It usually Hans Dernison's ship (but you already knew that, didn't ya?);)

What I would really like to know in all this controversy is what Park West employees are actually using the Crow's Nest for from ??? in the morning (still hasn't been disclosed) 'till 10 PM at night. Are they consuming their own meals in there three times a day, hold their own auctions and consume volumes of champagne, do they have lectures, dance to the tunes of the Halcats? I'm not getting much sleep at night since this story broke

Copper I am so sorry that you are losing all your night sleep since this story broke. I too am losing most of my nights sleep but for an entirely different sailing reason. I am taking meself off to Valencia nightly at around midnight for about four hours. This is much more exciting as I lie listening to the groans and creaks of real boats :D

Q. Who's it gonna be BMW Oracle or Emirates Team Kiwi ? Both skippers being from the Land of the Long White Cloud, a win win situation for Us :-)

Now thats gonna be a breaking story :D

Hammybee -

This is true, but it's the possibility that it can happen and they can be blindsided that gets people worried. If I know beforehand, I can make a decision and deal with it. But if I get on the ship and hear, "Welcome aboard. Oh, by the way....." my reaction will be much different.

....and thinking is not dangerous. If more people did it, we'd all be better off! ;)

- Steve

So what if it's not on every cruise and every ship. But it matters to the people whose cruise is affected. Someday it might be me or you. Therefore we all should care.

We should all care...but we live in a world where so many people only care about themselves...and when something happens to them, they scream! I call it karma.

And this is exactly what is so wrong with the world we're in...If it doesn't happen to me, why should I care?

Sad, isn't it?

And for those that think this is acceptable...let's leave the ship for a moment. How would you feel if you took your family to Disneyland only to find half the rides, or the best rides, were off limits to you because a special group paid more and have the rides to themselves?

The big thing, other than I think this is wrong, is that paying customers should be told upfront if there is going to be limitations when it comes to access to public spaces.

We should all care...but we live in a world where so many people only care about themselves...and when something happens to them, they scream! I call it karma.

And this is exactly what is so wrong with the world we're in...If it doesn't happen to me, why should I care?

Sad, isn't it?

Very, very sad :(

hammybee - nothing on here, to me, sounds like anyone is saying it is happening on all ships all the time - far from it. But it appears that someone somewhere in HALs hierarchy is seeing just how far the envelope can be pushed without a lot of their loyal customers expressing their dismay that it has happened at all for a whole cruise. And by voicing their concerns here they are hoping that the same someone will pay attention.

I note that your original defense of HAL was it was just one person and you referred to it as hearsay. Now your position is well, it is not all the ships all the time. Not one poster here has even inferred that to be the case. HAL is a cruise line that built a well-deserved reputation for keeping its loyal repeaters. This sort of publicity is not what HAL needs to maintain that base, and the more of its loyal cruisers who voice their concern, the better, IMHO:)

snip

How many times is acceptable?

This is bothersome to me and I would personally make a fuss.

Sounds like some functionary somewhere made an unwise decision.

Cheers

Mark

How would everyone feel if you took a trip to Disneyland and found that half the park (or even certain rides) were closed because a special group paid extra to have exclusive use of these rides?

I think you are getting the hang of it.

Disney, Universal Studios and 6 Flags do this. They call it VIP, or soemthing like this, ticketing. Those guests willing to pay a premium go to the head of the line, usually a long, long line with wait times well in excess of an hour.

These parks sometimes close all or part of their facilities for private functions.

Those willing to pay for privledge, get it.

Of course it matters to some of the pax impacted by a closed venue. And most likely someday it will indeed be me. And if it does not happen on HAL, it will on another cruise line. And when it does, I'll deal with it. No different than the OP is doing at the moment.

The big thing, other than I think this is wrong, is that paying customers should be told upfront if there is going to be limitations when it comes to access to public spaces.

How can anyone disagree with this?

Those willing to pay for privledge, get it.

Which doesn't make it right.

It may make it a financially beneficial business practice---at least in the short run. But it is morally reprehensible to offer public rooms on a cruise, for a given price, then fail to deliver the promised goods based on conditions within HAL's control.

It may make it a financially beneficial business practice---at least in the short run. But it is morally reprehensible to offer public rooms on a cruise, for a given price, then fail to deliver the promised goods based on conditions within HAL's control.

No, it doesn't. And it's wrong.

I note that your original defense of HAL was it was just one person and you referred to it as hearsay. Now your position is well, it is not all the ships all the time. Not one poster here has even inferred that to be the case. HAL is a cruise line that built a well-deserved reputation for keeping its loyal repeaters. This sort of publicity is not what HAL needs to maintain that base, and the more of its loyal cruisers who voice their concern, the better, IMHO:)

I am not aware of defending HAL. My preference was to suspend judgement until I knew more instead of relying upon hearsay. I do not think I have changed my mind because I still do not know any more about the situation that I did yesterday.

That I am not willing to condem HAL for closing the CrowsNest does not mean I don't feel badly for those pax who are being denied its use. I think I have been consistent about this all along. HAL should have minimally made all pax aware of this upon boarding. I said so early on and am saying it again.

There are 3 active posts that are related, dedication of former public space to special interests, charters 9 months into the future and group cruises. There are a few posters ( # 120 on this thread, for instance) who are expressing concern that their cruise is going to be ruined because this is being blown all out of proportion- thus my post that closing venues for the entire cruise is not common to all ships and all sailings.

I have no problems with charters, ParkWest@sea, groups or the occasional closed venue if this is what it takes to keep cruising affordable. Take this revenue source away from a cruise line and the cost of cruising will escalate.

It's a balancing act in my book.

Oh, I am getting the hang of it...lol

Okay...so you think it's fine to be denied access for a long period of time to a specific area, even though we all paid for the use of this area, just because someone droped extra $$$ into the deal, so be it. Whatever trips your trigger.

Hammybee -

This is true, but it's the possibility that it can happen and they can be blindsided that gets people worried. If I know beforehand, I can make a decision and deal with it. But if I get on the ship and hear, "Welcome aboard. Oh, by the way....." my reaction will be much different.

....and thinking is not dangerous. If more people did it, we'd all be better off! ;) - Steve

All along I have said, HAL should minimally tell pax once onboard. This does not mean I am not in favor of telling pax before hand but I do not think it particularily feasible or practical to do so. That's just my opinion and it's OK to disagree.

All along I have said, HAL should minimally tell pax once onboard. This does not mean I am not in favor of telling pax before hand but I do not think it particularily feasible or practical to do so. That's just my opinion and it's OK to disagree.

I think they need to do this prior to our final payment being made. And they should give us the option of getting out without a penalty. Instead, they are sneaky about it. I'm sure many of these groups book before the final payment date, and even if they don't...HAL should give people the option of going elsewhere.

Get on...find out...what are you going to do? Not much. Deal with it and probably never step foot on a HAL cruise again....would be what we'd do.

Oh, I am getting the hang of it...lol

Okay...so you think it's fine to be denied access for a long period of time to a specific area, even though we all paid for the use of this area, just because someone droped extra $$$ into the deal, so be it. Whatever trips your trigger.

You are using my words out of context. My reply was to your question about Disneyland. And yeah, those willing to pay more get more privledges. This is certainly not limited to cruising or amusement parks.

RuthC,

Failing to deliver some public rooms, some of the time, on some sails, to some of its pax, for reasons within the control of a cruise line, does not register on my scale of moral reprehensibility.

To tell you the truth, I feel morally reprehensible when I choose to spend my vacation time and income on something like cruising, when I could use my time and money to make a difference, some place it really matters. I deal with it and cruise because I love everything about cruising from the way the business has and will continue to evolve to the way the room steward makes my bed and everything in between.

That HAL, or any cruise line, must continually compromize and compete to fill each cabin is the nature of the beast, as far as I am concerned. None of us want to wake up tomorrow and discover the price of the cruise we have been eying has doubled in price. And for that reason, I tend to defer to the people that run the business to know how continue to make cruising such an affordable vacation for so many. And cruising requires a compromize on everyone's part, as far as I am concerned.

Maybe it's only a matter of time until the Deck Plans show "Private Function Facility" instead of "Crow's Nest" in that space. Then we won't be upset when it's unavailable to the rest of us -- it'll be a bonus when it is!:rolleyes:

I am not aware of defending HAL. My preference was to suspend judgement until I knew more instead of relying upon hearsay. I do not think I have changed my mind because I still do not know any more about the situation that I did yesterday.

What "hearsay"?? The OP was told DIRECTLY by a HAL employee he was NOT allowed in the Crow's Nest, told why and told who had taken this priviledge from him. NOT HEARSAY!!!

That I am not willing to condem HAL for closing the CrowsNest does not mean I don't feel badly for those pax who are being denied its use. I think I have been consistent about this all along. HAL should have minimally made all pax aware of this upon boarding. I said so early on and am saying it again.

HAL should have made this info available LONG BEFORE boarding. To say to someone "Welcome to your ship, enjoy the pool, your cabin and buffet but you must stay out of the Crow's Nest as you aren't welcome there this week" is PATHETIC!!! You paid for the ENTIRE ship experience....is HAL willing to refund it when THEY take away a major part of that??

read above

Archived