Parkwest Takes Over Rotterdam's Crow's Nest - Denies Passengers Access

I'd like to add that I'm very disturbed about the Crow's Nest being closed to paid passengers for the length of the cruise.

GN

GN, I hear you and this is where I seem to be at odds with some of the others posting on this thread. I am uncomfortable reacting to this news as fact, without more information. That it is reportedly reserved for employees of ParkWest @ Sea seems bizzare. That it is vacant and remains closed is even more bizzare.

Assuming it is HAL's intent to keep the CrowsNest closed for the entire 12 day cruise, I am having a devil of the time trying to figure out why there is not an onboard pax revolt. One would think this would be the talk of the cruise and pax would be steamed enough to get to the bottom of it.

Here we are trying to put together a puzzle and some key pieces seem to be missing. To take action, based upon the limited information we have, seems premature.

Celebrity was the old Greek line Chandris when it sailed in the 80's.

I don't know if it had art auctions then or not.

I'd like to add that I'm very disturbed about the Crow's Nest being closed to paid passengers for the length of the cruise.

We can gripe all we want but nothing will do any good unless HAL realizes that many loyal HAL cruisers seriously disagree with this tactic. The chances that will listen I think depends on what we ask them to do. We can't just demand that they will not in the future partition or close the area to private gatherings. I object to the area being closed and remain off limits to paying "guests" for the length of any cruise.

I hope someone is willing to take on this project, collect signatures of Mariners along with their days on board history, and compose and send a letter to Mr. Kruse. Numbers speak. I think it needs to be someone with a long term strong relationship with HAL.

GN

How interesting I did not realise that Celebrity was born out of Chandris! Now that was the biggest load of crap ever put on the seven seas, believe me, a really shocking experience by DH and myself, Southhampton to Auckland on the Austalis in November 69. Could not get DH back to sea for another 30 years. I do trust that Celebrity has improved with age? Chandris sailed this route though the sixties!

Talking about the Crows Nest, even the crew enjoy working in that lounge as I was told by my friend and actually heard her excitement when she was telling us that for the next cruise out of Auckland she was in the Crows Nest and would be able to fully enjoy the sailaway from the best advantage point on the ship.

GN, I hear you and this is where I seem to be at odds with some of the others posting on this thread. I am uncomfortable reacting to this news as fact, without more information. That it is reportedly reserved for employees of ParkWest @ Sea seems bizzare. That it is vacant and remains closed is even more bizzare.

Assuming it is HAL's intent to keep the CrowsNest closed for the entire 12 day cruise, I am having a devil of the time trying to figure out why there is not an onboard pax revolt. One would think this would be the talk of the cruise and pax would be steamed enough to get to the bottom of it.

Here we are trying to put together a puzzle and some key pieces seem to be missing. To take action, based upon the limited information we have, seems premature.

Hammy I hear what you are saying. I agree with you, its all too much hearsay does not quite make sense to me. :confused: Take a break from cyberspace and go get yourself a nice glass of wine :D

OK...maybe I'm missing something here. The OP posted that the Crow's Nest is reserved for Park West's employees for the week. Just how many employees could they POSSIBLY have to take up the entire Crow's Nest for a week?:confused: And if all the Park West employees are there, who's running the art auctions on all the OTHER ships this week?:rolleyes: Or are there NO auctions on other ships and we will be seeing RAVE reviews from pax next week who loved not being bothered by those pesky art auctions?:p

I agree there are some details that need to be explained before we all cancel out HAL trips and book Motel 6 for our next vacation. Hopefully the OP will come back soon or several CC'ers on board post their reviews when they come home and tell all!

Of course the OP is giving us a first hand account. And I have no doubt that what the OP is sharing is their perception of the situation.The heresay (thank you dakrewser :) ) comes into play with references to other pax, a crew member and an officer. That to me is onboard village gossip. If indeed the CrowsNest is not available to pax, an explanation from a Senior Officer is the only thing that is acceptable in my book.

Perception ??? Hearsay ??? When the OP was TOLD by an officer it is closed for the entire cruise (except maybe after 10:00) by an officer how is this perception ?

Sab400 reported it happen on their cruise

"This happened to us on Noordam last December, but it was for Park West "big spenders". The Crow's Nest is a favorite spot for sailaway leaving the big apple and it was not available then or anytime during the cruise except late evening. It wasn't a cruise buster, but it was very annoying."

SakeDAd,

You question "employees". Why not ? It doesn't necessarily mean all those that run the auctions. Park West also runs auctions that are on land. They have employees in their home office. When a company does something for employees it doesn't always include everyone.

It doesn't make any difference if it is employees, or not. Park West has exclusive use of the Crows Nest.

I wonder how these things really work. My DSIL is going on a business marketing cruise next weekend on NCL out of NYC. He leaves Thursday and comes back Sat. or Sun. He says it doesn't really go anyplace...just sails around NY. How can that be? What does it do to the ship's schedule?

I answered my own question. Seems NCL has 2 day weekend sails out of NYC from Friday to Sunday. Looked it up and came back here and was able to edit my original post.

The whole ship can't posibly be an advertising event? Can it?

Just to update you all. We had a great day in Istanbul, the Rotterdam is lovely.

But the Crow's Nest is still blocked off. They are,we see from the schedule, having a DJ at 10pm in there, so passengers do have some access. But I can tell you that after walking the streets of Istanbul for 9 hours with Ekol tours, I will not be up there tonight!

ParkWest does have the place blocked out all cruise. We DID check with our TA beforehand to find out about any groups - none were mentioned.

We have had no response to our comment card. Maybe I should print out your responses and lay them on the Hotel Manager's desk????

Happy to hear you had a great day in Istanbul and think the Rotterdam lovely. We do too. I think her a 'real flagship'.

Who is the Hotel Manager currently on Rotterdam?

ParkWest does have the place blocked out all cruise. We DID check with our TA beforehand to find out about any groups - none were mentioned.

We have had no response to our comment card. Maybe I should print out your responses and lay them on the Hotel Manager's desk????

Couldn't hurt - but might be a tad expensive! ;)

I too am happy to hear that you enjoyed Istanbul and are loving the Rotterdam.

It appears clear that the use of the Crow's Nest has tipped in favor of a special interest group and this is not right.

Given the port intensity of your cruise, the inaccessibility of the CrowsNest may not be apparent or perhaps of particular value to the majority of cruisers, onboard. Afterall, how many pax have the time, energy or perhaps inclination to fight city hall when the majority of their day is being spent in so many special ports? And don't get me wrong, who wants to spend their vacation time confronting onboard management?

Sounds to me like HAL is betting that most pax will either not notice or if they do, not care too much. They might be inclined to address the few who take issue with it and persist, after the fact.

I did notice on HAL's web site, the promotion of public rooms for special functions, at no additional cost, with the ability to accommodate up to 970, at one time. Again, what really matters is the duration. A one time special event is not the same thing as all day x 12 days.

Hope the rest of your cruise is as enjoyable as your first few days. Thank you for taking the time and spending your money to come back to this board.

Hammybee, glad the posts yesterday were removed .Can anyone tell me how you alert the hosts to these posts that violate the rules so they can be removed? I posted a reply, but didn't know how to alert the hosts. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me how you alert the hosts to these posts that violate the rules so they can be removed?
In the upper right-hand corner of the box containing the post is a triangle sign with an exclamation point in it. Click on it to report a bad post.

Hammybee, glad the posts yesterday were removed .Can anyone tell me how you alert the hosts to these posts that violate the rules so they can be removed? I posted a reply, but didn't know how to alert the hosts. Thanks!

I'm not Hammy, but...

If you click on the triangle holding the exclamation mark in the upper right hand corner of each post, it will take you to an email reporting system with the post attached, where you can request the moderator "look" at it....

Paul

OK...we will be seeing RAVE reviews from pax next week who loved not being bothered by those pesky art auctions?:p

There is a way that you can look at the "art" auctions in a different sense - a free comedy show with free champagne. Watching people overspending on crap "art" and listening to the art expert auctionier (sp?) who probably sold used cars in his previous life is frequently funnier than the comedian in the evening show.

DON

Thanks for the info on how to report a not so nice post. As, far as the art auctions go, you really need to attend one to get the full flavor of it. People get so riled up by that auctioneer and really spend way too much because they don't really know what they should be spending. On my first cruise, I did buy a framed carry off the ship piece which is in my hallway and does receive loads of great comments. I'm sure I overpaid, and carrying this thing through the Ft. lauderdale airport and then on to the plane(we're not talking little here) was a royal pain. Never would I fall for that again. But, it really looks great in my house.

Harbormaster - I'm very sorry the Crows Nest is still closed to you. That is my favorite location on any ship, and its closure would bother me a lot, as we tend to be there as often as we can (especially when we don't have a balcony). No other space on any ship is quite like it, and we now tend to avoid ships that don't have that forward space as a public lounge. Nancy

There is a way that you can look at the "art" auctions in a different sense - a free comedy show with free champagne. Watching people overspending on crap "art" and listening to the art expert auctionier (sp?) who probably sold used cars in his previous life is frequently funnier than the comedian in the evening show.

DON

Hmmm...think I need a glass of champagne:rolleyes: I always laugh that people spend $$$ on the "art" and say how much they saved. But they also paid thousands of dollars for the cruise to GET the art!:p Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids!:D I'll go just to laugh as you say....great suggestion.

I asked HAL (via their website) if there are any groups on our 12/1 Noordam cruise that would be reserving the Crow's Nest. Here is their response:

"Currently we do not access to group information regarding any reservations of the Crows Nest or any other public areas of the ship. If after boarding you find this area has been reserved, rest assured that many of our other fine public areas will be available for your use.

The Noordam's Oak Room, Piano Bar, and Queen Lounge are only a few examples of the many public room options you will have access to."

Huh? :confused: Does this mean there are no groups? Or maybe she just doesn't have access to that information? Or she knows, but isn't allowed to tell me? :rolleyes:

I will call ship services closer to the cruise. I can usually get a straight answer from them.

- Steve

Just to update you all. We had a great day in Istanbul, the Rotterdam is lovely.

But the Crow's Nest is still blocked off. They are,we see from the schedule, having a DJ at 10pm in there, so passengers do have some access. But I can tell you that after walking the streets of Istanbul for 9 hours with Ekol tours, I will not be up there tonight!

I think it's terrible that they closed the Crow's Nest for a special group...for the entire cruise. This is something that we'd certainly take into consideration prior to booking another HAL cruise.

This is not good, nor is it acceptable.

This is totally unacceptable! I have booked the next cruise (May, 14) and I am very concerned about it!

From the sounds of things, I hope you don't have one of these "special" groups on your cruise. It's sounds like HAL is selling off areas on the ship to the highest bidder. Forget the fact that everyone on the ship paid to have access to all venuse.

I am really surpised that HAL is doing this. They are going to shoot themselves in the foot in quick order.

"Currently we do not access to group information regarding any reservations of the Crows Nest or any other public areas of the ship. If after boarding you find this area has been reserved, rest assured that many of our other fine public areas will be available for your use.

The Noordam's Oak Room, Piano Bar, and Queen Lounge are only a few examples of the many public room options you will have access to."

I take this to mean that HAL has no intention of telling you whether or not they have sold off any of the public areas of the ship. But that they have the right to do so and if you don't like it too bad, go somewhere else where maybe you will be allowed in. Take it or leave it.

Happy to hear you had a great day in Istanbul and think the Rotterdam lovely. We do too. I think her a 'real flagship'.

Who is the Hotel Manager currently on Rotterdam?

It usually Hans Dernison's ship (but you already knew that, didn't ya?);)

What I would really like to know in all this controversy is what Park West employees are actually using the Crow's Nest for from ??? in the morning (still hasn't been disclosed) 'till 10 PM at night. Are they consuming their own meals in there three times a day, hold their own auctions and consume volumes of champagne, do they have lectures, dance to the tunes of the Halcats? I'm not getting much sleep at night since this story broke

What I would really like to know in all this controversy is what Park West employees are actually using the Crow's Nest for from ??? in the morning (still hasn't been disclosed) 'till 10 PM at night. Are they consuming their own meals in there three times a day, hold their own auctions and consume volumes of champagne, do they have lectures, dance to the tunes of the Halcats? I'm not getting much sleep at night since this story broke

Dear Copper,

You have a gift and use it well. I am still laughing.

I asked HAL (via their website) if there are any groups on our 12/1 Noordam cruise that would be reserving the Crow's Nest. Here is their response:

Huh? :confused: Does this mean there are no groups? Or maybe she just doesn't have access to that information? Or she knows, but isn't allowed to tell me? :rolleyes:

I will call ship services closer to the cruise. I can usually get a straight answer from them.

- Steve

I'm not sure the person quoted understood the situation. The Oak Room and Queen's Lounge aren't "public rooms" as the Crow's Nest is. I've never seen the Piano Bar serving during the daytime.

If there actually were equivalent public rooms, it wouldn't be such a problem, but the Crow's Nest is unique (as HAL loves to point out).

Archived