Can I do whale watching with a baby ?

Manish

We are going on our first Alaska tour on Sept. 5th. Can we take our 16 month old baby on a whale watching excursion (Capt. Larry ?). Or do we (myself and my wife) need to take turns if baby cannot go onboard ? How long does tha tour last for ? We do have a backpack for the baby so the baby won't be bouncing around on the deck.

We are going to take turns on the glacier helicopter landing tours. Also, are there glacier helicopter tours from Skagway ? Are they equally good as the ones from Juneau ?

Thanks

Manish

Frankly- I wouldn't consider it. A child that age is too unpredictable and can be very disruptive. The whale watch is about 3 hours and you have NO WAY out- I wouldn't consider any tour over an hour. My opinion only.

Manish..... I also would not recommend bringing a baby.

On our whalewatching boat, there were at least a dozen seasick passengers. If your baby got seasick...that would be really, really hard.

Also, the top deck...where you do want to go for the best views....was very cold and both hands were needed to hold on. Even though the baby would be in a backpack....if Mom or Dad (whoever was holding the pack) happened to loose their balance....it could be quite dangerous for Junior.

We had a 2 year old on one of ours - when we went with Capt Larry. She just basically slept on our trip which worked out well for the parents. As long as she doesn't get sea sick, I don't think there would be a problem.

Personally I wouldn't attempt it. Ours was approx 3 hours long, extremely rough, it was the whaling trip from the "Perfect Storm". When we set out it was a quiet calm day, but where they took us was W I L D !!!

My husband has a stomach of steel, and he was very sick.

At times it was very precarious on top deck even for an adult hanging on for dear life....... but if you're going to try it...... keep the baby inside, and on your lap with her face protected from the bench infront of you incase of the boat lurching forward.... don't let her creep around, and I wouldn't feed her before the tour !

Could I babysit your lovely Weim? Mine needs company !!!

Archived