I Got BANNED from RCCL!!!!!!

I don't have one in front of me but I remember one of the travel magazines - I think it's National Geographic Traveler - has a section where readers send in their travel issues and the editor tries to contact the "offending" company to get some information and / or correct the issue. The more outrageous the story, the more likely they are to tackle it. Yours sounds like it ranks up there. Companies don't like negative press, so a lot of the stories end with some sort of apology / compensation to the "wronged" traveler.

Recently I noted a site on the boards which may be of some help to you. If a problem occurs on a ship, sometimes the Federal Maritime Commission (complaints@fmc.gov) may be able to mediate for you.

Sandy

I think what bothers me about this worse than anything is the fact that RCI is not giving him the reason that he was banned other than he allegedly broke some sort of rule. A person has a right to know regardless. Just doesn't seem fair to me.

My temptation is to say, that lawyers are involved on thier end, but this thread and has a couple of stand up lawyers giving advice, so I would look as ignorant as I am ;)

I assume you Texas guys can't help him?

This is going to be the hottest thread in this section in awhile.

How awful! Also if the room steward or purser made something up than something should have been documented and GIVEN to YOU while ONBOARD!!! It seems ridiculous to me that you can be banned without a reason or a prior warning! You would think if you did something that they considered a violation of guest policy than they would have had you disembarked while on the cruise. Seems absurd to me that they can come back 4 months later and not even give you an explanation as to why.

Good luck to you and I hope that you get the answers.

Sandie

I have to say that I think that this is strange situation! I hate not knowing the end of the story; so I cannot even imagine how frustrating this is for you! Believing you, that you are not able to think of any other reason why this would happen, it really seems so wrong. I am very impressed that you rolled with the punches so well, and booked on another cruise! I hope that vacation is a great distraction from all this craziness! Please, let us know what happens!

I don't have one in front of me but I remember one of the travel magazines - I think it's National Geographic Traveler - has a section where readers send in their travel issues and the editor tries to contact the "offending" company to get some information and / or correct the issue. The more outrageous the story, the more likely they are to tackle it. Yours sounds like it ranks up there. Companies don't like negative press, so a lot of the stories end with some sort of apology / compensation to the "wronged" traveler.

TV stations and newspapers do this too. If you live in/near a decent sized city, give them a call.

If I am a Cruise Line Executive and I have a choice between believing an off the shelf cabin steward and desk receptionist or a young Platinum Cruiser with a Family that is also Platinum cruisers, I go with the Platinum cruisers all the time, send them an apology for the poor service they recived on their last cruise, and tell the cabin stewad and desk receptionist that unless they have video tape to back up their claim, to shut up, do their jobs, or get off the ship and start looking for new jobs.

From the reviews I read on the OPs Review thread, he was matter of factly and not abusive in his reviews, while the others posting their reviews stated they had good service and he must have had a bad steward. I see those types of reviews frequently on here...normal thing. Speak with your wallet!

Wow, sorry to hear you're going through this. I can't even imagine how bad a transgression they think you committed to get you BANNED! We've witnessed (or had friends on same cruise that did) some pretty wretched behavior on past cruises...kids throwing beverages onto guests passing by/sunbathing on lower decks, littering, drunken diatribes against crew members that included profanity (usually by members of the "Don't you KNOW you I AM?!" :rolleyes: crowd). Those folks didn't even get tossed off at the next ports, as they were all still present days later, so I'm actually a little horrified at what the cruise line might eventually accuse you of... :eek:

You didn't get to know the captain's wife better than you should have where it might have been recorded by a security camera, did you? ;) J/K, but do really hope you get the situation straightened out. Can't imagine how frustrating this whole thing must be for you. :(

I just read a story thae other day on the Carnival forum where some dude jumped off the back of the ship and swam to the front of the ship at the doc. They arrested him this time. This was his third time or something and now the cruise line was talking about banning him. I don't think it good business to ban someone when you haven't heard their side of the story.

Imagine if it was like that at your place of work where you get fired at the drop of a hat and they won't even let you tell your side of things....

I am thinking it's along that line. Either he made something up because I kept talking to his supervisor, or it was the chief purser who didn't seem to like me much. I was never told to lower my voice or to "go away", and never swore at the guy so the abusive language part is not there - but if I was annoying him I am sure he decided to do some creative writing in the computer system or somthing.

This is what keeps coming to mind... when you said I was never told to lower my voice or to "go away". Did you visit the purser's office often during that cruise? Were you using a loud voice or being demanding? I am grasping at straws to see if there is something that they might be focusing on here. I too am baffled. Since you are a Diamond (maybe Diamond Plus) member, I have to wonder why they wouldn't offer you some sort of explanation.

I can't wait to hear what you find out. Please keep us posted.

I have been on the phone with RCCL all day, and yes it's true. NO ONE is talking!

They will give out NO other information besides 1) I am no longer allowed on any RCCL or Celebrity Ship, and 2) it is because something that occured on the 1/2007 Brilliance of the Seas sailing. Anything else is "Privleged information" And I guess I'm not special.....

I am guessing that your room steward made something up in defense of his or her keeping a job. :confused: It must have been one doosey of a story too:eek:

You must be going insane. Good luck getting it solved. Last year my brother and his family were asked to leave Disney World and NEVER return. They did and they won't. His daughter was 11 at the time and she is mentally retarded (might be angleman's but they are not sure) anyways, she was having a fit in the middle of the park and my brother was trying to pick her up and she kept screaming and hitting and scratching him - his face was all red from the nail marks. Disney said that Disney is the happiest place on earth and his family was ruining it for the rest of the visitors.

Please keep us posted.

Kathy

Hoop...go enjoy your cruise on Carnival, and worry about this situation when you come back....it is a shame you were not notified sooner with an explanation so you could defend yourself...even if it is resolved now you can't get your money back from C.....so forget about it until you return.

Enjoy

I can't imagine being in your position! You are being WAY cooler than I would be, Firefighterhoop. I join the list of people who really want to know how this ends. I wish you a swift resolution to this, with a FULL explaination. Scarey situation!

This is what keeps coming to mind... when you said I was never told to lower my voice or to "go away". Did you visit the purser's office often during that cruise? Were you using a loud voice or being demanding? I am grasping at straws to see if there is something that they might be focusing on here. I too am baffled. Since you are a Diamond (maybe Diamond Plus) member, I have to wonder why they wouldn't offer you some sort of explanation.

I can't wait to hear what you find out. Please keep us posted.

THats one of the few things it would have had to have been. I must hae not realized it and raised my voice a little, and he noted that. Yes I had to visit the pursers desk often to 1) Fix the broken sofa bed, 2) Pool towels, shower towels, etc.

It was always the same supervisor, who kept telling me to be more patient, and he was "Sure" the attendant would eventually bring more towels, and eventually get to the bed - 3 nights later the bed problem was finally resolved!

If RCI did not publish the alleged defamation or utter a slanderous comment about you to a third party, they have not committed libel, slander or defamation. It appears that the only person to "publish" the private conversation is the OP. I can call you on the phone and call you every vile name in the book, but I have not defamed you unless I tell someone else. No blood, no foul.

Also, contrary to what some people have asserted here, you cannot just "write a subpoena". You must file a civil action against RCI (probably it would have to be for breach of contract, since I don't see how a defamation suit would get past a motion for summary judgment.) After filing, your attorney sends them interrogatories and requests for documents and admissions to which they must respond under oath. This is where you get your answers.

By the way, this decision by RCI does not appear to fall under any ticket contract, and you might be able to sue in your local State or Federal District court. I'm not sure about that, but it's worth a shot.

If OP is serious about your innocence, you need a good lawyer. Just be prepared for whatever they have in their "naughty file". You might be shocked.

Good luck.

LL

More points while it might not be the tort of libel or slander to tell you what they banned you for it may be another tort(intentional infliction of mental distress). In order to sue in your local court you must have jurisdiction over RC(minimum state contacts under a case called international shoe), whether this would meet that requirements would be interesting also to sue in Federal court besides the jurisdiction issue, the amount in controversy must be over a certain amount unless you can find a separate federal law that gives you a right to sue in Federal court without a specific amount. If it was that you name appeared on watch list they might tell you. You can check the watch list names at the Federal office of foreign asset control(as the same names that are on the watch list are listed so financial institutions won't do business with someone who is a known terrorist).

Some of the press may pick up on this especially if you have a press contact locally.

Good luck,

BTW it is always better not to give the specific reason if you can get away with it. Ambiguity doesn't get you successfully sued specifics may especially in employment situations. ie. he/she was terminated during probation a factual comment that won't get you successfully sued but compare it with she/he was terminated during probation for stealing/being absent without calling in/poor preformance may get you successfully sued.

This is why you may want to consider hiring an attorney. I am not sure if this falls under defamation of character, but to me it sure would. If you truly did nothing wrong, I would go all out.

Just wanted to add that this is not defamation of character. If they had taken an add, or told other people what he was acused of, that could be defamation of character. But if they do not tell, it is not.

I really hope you get this resolved and I think that all of us will be waiting with baited breath to find out what happened. Sounds like a case or mistaken identity to me. Good luck!!!!!

This is going to be the hottest thread in this section in awhile.

If it doesn't get poofed...remember last year when the thread about the "mystery cabin" kept getting poofed over and over again? A TA wanted a specific cabin for one of her customers, a cabin which one of our CC members had already reserved and paid for...and there was a deal worked out between the TA, RCI and the CC member on giving up her cabin?

Really seemed like no big deal, but that thread and every subsequent thread about it went away, lickety split.

Are you telling us that you already had your DOCS and that 10 days out they decide you can't go?

Something definitely stinks here; I know if I were in your position I could not rest until I knew what I could possibly have done to warrant this. I am with the other posters; it must be a case of mistaken identity.

I can tell you that on one Celebrity cruise my husband lost it a couple of times at the pursers desk and we're still cruising.

Please keep us posted and I certainly hope for your sake that you can get this resolved. As far as ever wanting to cruise with RCL again; BS not in this lifetime!!!

Try to relax and have fun on your upcoming cruise and hopefully you will have some answers before you leave.

By any chance did you happen to throw a beer during a NASCAR race while watching TV in the ship sports bar? ;)

Seriously though. I am sorry you are in this predicament, I can't begin to imagine what this is about. For them to deny you any information IMO is puzzling.

Get their refusal to allow you to board any RCCL ships in writing first then if indeed you know without a doubt that there is no room for error and that you have done absolutely nothing wrong follow it up with a legal inquiry as to their reason for refusing you service.

If it were me I would make certain the allegations were declared unfounded, corrected in writing and removed from your reservation records.

Then I would never cruise with them again. But I would want that satisfaction for sure.

Good luck

No New news tonight:( It's 11 their time, so I think its sleepy time for them.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT! IT MEANS A LOT TO ME!

Hopefully I have positive news to report tomorrow, but even if it's not positive, hopefully I will have some news to report at all!!!!!!!!!

But they do (as well as all buisnesses) have the right to refuse service for any reason to any person at any time, (as long as its not based on sex, race, creed, religion, preferance etc) So... HMM

Archived