Rhapsody compared to Ecstasy

I wanted to get peoples opinions who have been on both the Rhapsody and the Ecstasy on the differences in them. I would like to take my parents (early 60’s) on a cruise since they have never been. I’m thinking on the short side since I’m not sure how well my father will like it (not a water person).

Are there any major differences in the ships other than the decorating themes? Anything in particular that you liked about one over the other? Anything you think people in their 60’s wouldn’t like about Ecstasy? Food quality about the same?

Thank you for sharing your opinions.

I have never cruised with Carnival, but can tell you that I am in my 50's and we loved the Rhapsody. She is absolutely beautiful and has been much celebrated for her beauty and her food. We thought both couldn't be beat.

You can't go wrong with Rhapsody and you should absolutely book her before she relocates this year to another port.

They are both older ships...the Rhapsody has very neutral decorations with some Texas influence, the Ecstasy is a little more flashy (neon lighting in some places). I love both ships, I feel they are very similar in what they have to offer and are very easy to get around. Both have renovated recently with bedding and the Ecstasy has added flat screen tv's to all staterooms. You will have fun on either one. I would only give the edge to the Rhapsody due to the 7 day sailing vs. 4/5 day sailings :)

2 years ago, gave a Carnivore cruise out of Galveston to our son and new daughter-in-law as a wedding gift. He is a recent graduate of one of the world's great party schools...Texas Tech.

Obviously, upon their return, we asked the inevitable question...how was it?

His reply, " I have never seen so many sloppy drunks in one place at one time"

But that is only one party animal's opinion.

I have been on both the Elation (a twin to the Ecstasy) and the Rhapsody. I give the advantage to the Rhapsody. I, for one, did not find the Elation easy to navigate. You keep hitting dead ends on the lower floors and have to travel up to 8 or 9 to be able to tranverse the full length of the ship. I liked the layout of the rooms on the Rhapsody better. The Carnival ocean views may be a little larger, but they seemed darker. You could only sit on the beds for a comfy spot. Otherwise, there was just a straight chair and a little table. The Rhapsody rooms all have a little sitting area. I have no complaints about the Carnival food and the waitstaff. (They were great!) I thought the decor to be a little on the garish side and like the more tranquil (and a tad more elegant) Rhapsody decor. DH and I are, for the record, in our mid-50's. I also felt more welcomed by the Rhapsody staff in general.

Iv been on both ships and hands down the Rhapsody is much prettier. I think Id give the edge on food to Ecstasy, but their water looked like something was floating in it. Of course the Rhapsody is more expensive, being a 7 day cruise, its more comparable to the Conquest to me?

The Conquest also goes out of Galveston. The Ecstasy is lower rated of the three ships.

Here is a good link I got from someone else here, both the Conquest and the Rhapsody (both 7 day cruises) are rated 99. The Ecstasy is rated 90, which is quite a bit lower.

http://www.7blueseas.com/about/ShipShopperIndex.asp

There are things on both cruiselines that I think one does better than the other. But hands down the Rhapsody wins over the Ecstasy, and Im not a RCI cheerleader I do both cruiselines.

I haven't been on Ecstacy or Rhapsody, but have been on Imagination (Ecstasy's sistership) and on 7 Royal Caribbean cruises, 2 on older ships that would be comparable to Ecstasy.

I hate to be a downer, but I really didn't enjoy the Carnival cruise. That was partially due to our cabin flood, non functioning air conditioning, and miserable guest relations crew. Besides our cabin troubles, the ship was alright. Nowhere near as elegant as any of the Royal Caribbean ships, very flash and gaudy, but it was fine for a short cruise.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you do the Ecstasy, don't go into it with high expectations or you are going to be disappointed, same goes for most short cruises on any cruise line. If you pick this cruise, just go and have fun, but don't have very high expectations.

Thanks for all the input everyone has given me. I have been on the Rhapsody, and I think they would prefer the decor of the Rhapsody, but my dad is not big on the idea of cruising since he doesn't like the water much, so that's why I have been considering the Ecstasy since it is a shorter cruise for their first time just in case he hated it. I know there won't be a RC short cruise out of galveston for a while, otherwise that's what I would probably be looking at.

Thanks again!

Well, my mom and I just took my 78yr old Grandma on her first cruise - on the Ecstasy. She had a blast! Nothing about the decor bothered her and she had nothing but positive comments regarding the food and service as well. It was a 4 day cruise, so I was initially worried about it being too much of a party crowd for her but it was fine. I would recommend going while kids are still in school Sept - May.

Thanks for all the input everyone has given me. I have been on the Rhapsody, and I think they would prefer the decor of the Rhapsody, but my dad is not big on the idea of cruising since he doesn't like the water much, so that's why I have been considering the Ecstasy since it is a shorter cruise for their first time just in case he hated it. I know there won't be a RC short cruise out of galveston for a while, otherwise that's what I would probably be looking at.

Thanks again!

I have been on both, the Rhapsody is more attractive, the Ecstacy may have had sligtly larger staterooms, food quality was about the same in the dining room but the dining room on the Rhapsody is much more attractive. The Ecstacy was very diffacult to navigate you often woul dhave to go up or down a deck or two to get fom end to end of the ship. Also give the nod to itinerary to Rhapsody. and finally you won't have the Rhapsody in Galveston much longer so you should take advantage.

http://family.webshots.com/slideshow/558771325pfEckj

We had great fun! It is an older ship but you can't beat the price.

For example we went on a 5 days cruise with an ocean view window cabin for less than $340 per person in April. It was a great getaway cruise. Not much hassle. Have fun either way. I have also been on the Carnival Conquest and it was a beautiful ship. The Conquest, you will pay an arm and a leg for :eek: .

http://family.webshots.com/slideshow/558771325pfEckj

We had great fun! It is an older ship but you can't beat the price.

For example we went on a 5 days cruise with an ocean view window cabin for less than $340 per person in April. It was a great getaway cruise. Not much hassle. Have fun either way. I have also been on the Carnival Conquest and it was a beautiful ship. The Conquest, you will pay an arm and a leg for :eek: .

Thanks for sharing the pictures, that helps make the decsion easier.

Whatever line you choose, just remember what you were thinking after your first short cruise, if it was anything like ours, it was "Too little time!" Never again, nothing but 7 or longer for us.....like maybe a month or so LOL:D

Sailed on both. We felt Rhapsody was so much nicer, more elegant looking IMHO. I remember there was a terrible smell on the Lido deck in the eating area on Ectasy, that never went away. The Ectasy was my DH first cruise, (he was afraid he would hate cruising, so shorter cruise) and he thought it was wonderful. We went on Rhapsody and he was blown away on how much nicer it was.

Archived