alaska

sau3734

has anybody done an alaska cruise in late may or early june. or in september. was wondering what the weather was like...I went in august and it was beautiful but i hear that it is foggy and nasty in may ....

We are doing our 4th Alaska cruise next week -- the 4th time in May. Excellent weather. Too early for Salmon, but the weather has been great for us. Once year, 2003 I think, it was warmer in Juneau than back home in Michigan. Have rain in Ketchikan more times than not, but Vancouver to Anchorage very nice.

has anybody done an alaska cruise in late may or early june. or in september. was wondering what the weather was like...I went in august and it was beautiful but i hear that it is foggy and nasty in may ....

I usually go in late May or early June because that's the driest part of the year. Early May can still be rather nasty some years.

Our first Alaskan cruise was in mid-May. The weather was wonderful. It was 70 in Juneau. Our 2nd trip was in mid-September. Weather was a bit cooler but, still very nice. It was a bit rainy on the September cruise but still beautiful.

Past the first week of Sept, has the worse potential for foul weather. Also dusk by 7pm, northern lights possible, however most people still don't see them. :)

May is an excellent time for Alaska, I was on the first sailing, and indeed terrible weather and some stuff not open. My preference is definately mid May and later, to first week in Sept. and before. Nice BIG range.

I have actually have gone the most mid August into Sept.. Just wonderful experiences, didn't go last year in the timeframe, and some horrific weather interior Alaska.

We have cruised Alaska pretty much every month of the year, and the only answer is that weather in Alaska is chancy at best! We have seen bright sunny days in September, and have cruised in July when it was overcast, windy and rainy all week.

The thing to do is to be prepared, dress in layers, and realize that Alaska is NOT the Caribbean! The weather really does not make a lot of difference. One of the most beautiful days we have spent in Alaska was cruising Tracy Arm with misty clouds floating by and a light drizzle falling. Rainy days are great days for wildlife. Probably we saw more whales, seals and dolphins from the ship that day than we ever have.

Have a GREAT cruise!

::
:knock on wood::
five of six Alaska cruises havebeen in late May/early June and all with excellent weather and the other one in Mid- June had one afternoon of rain... not enough to bother anything. Dunno who told you that May was "nasty".. yes, it's unpredictable up there but as others have said, mid-late May is usually one of the drier times to cruise.

::Hoping luck holds out just one more time:::
;)

I have been warned that it will be cold on the water - especially at night. So keep a warm jacket handy if you plan on spending time on deck. Layers are totally worth it - a warm fleece with a rainproof wind proof outer jacked is pretty much the standard dress code for most of the year. Layers and convertible clothing is important. Especially if you are doing any of the excursions that go onto glaciers or change elevation. Glaciers can have their own climate zones, and mountain tops can be significantly cooler than sea level. My husband learnt how important when we went on a glacier tour on of the Athabasca Glacier a few years ago. At the center it was 30 C and on the ice it was only 5 C. He was more than a little chilling in his shorts and t-shirt, but it sure made for a funny picture.

::
: Dunno who told you that May was "nasty".. yes, it's unpredictable up there but as others have said, mid-late May is usually one of the drier times to cruise.

[

The "nasty" reference is for the first week, of which the last 2 years have fallen under that description.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the Mercury May 11th Cruise to Alaska: The weather was fantastic.

Yukon: I have a lovely picture of your house. I knew it by the flag flying. I took it from across the bridge. The General Store had just opened. As a matter of fact We were the first visitors to purchase. We rented a truck from Sourdough in Skagway, and drove just because of your posts. I had to see Emerald Lake. Wish the directions to Emerald Lake were posted better. I asked at the store how to get there otherwise may not have found it. We actually thought we missed it, and should have turned on the Alaskan Hwy, but I said lets keep going another couple miles. As soon as we started pulling that hill, and I saw the color of the lake I knew that was Emerald Lake. It is a must see.

My brother went in May and had very chilly weather and went in Sept and had a warm and dry visit. So, you never know. We are going in Sept but only because that time fits with our schedule. Looking forward to it! Starting to buy stuff for it now..I need more layers for sure! :D

Have done the last cruise of the year, late September and one of the first cruises of the year, late May. Have had VERY good weather in each. Only a little rain both times we were in Ketchikan...but if you don't get a little rain in Ketchikan, you haven't really been to Alaska, right???:rolleyes: I loved all of the fall colors in September, especially up in the Yukon, but I really loved the snow on everthing and the abundance of wildlife in May.

Happy Cruising!

Have done the last cruise of the year, late September and one of the first cruises of the year, late May. Have had VERY good weather in each. Only a little rain both times we were in Ketchikan...but if you don't get a little rain in Ketchikan, you haven't really been to Alaska, right???:rolleyes: I loved all of the fall colors in September, especially up in the Yukon, but I really loved the snow on everthing and the abundance of wildlife in May.

Happy Cruising!

We ar going the first week of September ... any chance there will be snow?

We ar going the first week of September ... any chance there will be snow?

If you're doing a round trip out of Vancouver or Seattle, I'd say having it snow, no, seeing snow on mountain tops, possibility.

Now if you're doing any land tours into Denali, it could possibly snow in the Park, though it probably wouldn't stick.

Susan in Anchorage :)

last sept, in glacier bay..there was snow on the mountain tops. didn't see any on the regular mountains. none where the tourists were.

you can check out my pictures (link in signature) to see what snow there was. too much rain during last august, plus we got rain.

Just back from the Mercury May 11th Cruise to Alaska: The weather was fantastic.

Yukon: I have a lovely picture of your house. I knew it by the flag flying. I took it from across the bridge. The General Store had just opened. As a matter of fact We were the first visitors to purchase. We rented a truck from Sourdough in Skagway, and drove just because of your posts. I had to see Emerald Lake. Wish the directions to Emerald Lake were posted better. I asked at the store how to get there otherwise may not have found it. We actually thought we missed it, and should have turned on the Alaskan Hwy, but I said lets keep going another couple miles. As soon as we started pulling that hill, and I saw the color of the lake I knew that was Emerald Lake. It is a must see.

Hi,

How was your experience with Sourdough? Everything o.k.? Was the truck in good condition? We're on Infinity in late September and, since Avis is already closed for the season, Sourdough would be our only choice. We're still deliberating since they don't offer any insurance on their vehicles. Our european car insurance does not cover rental cars and our gold visa has a pretty high self-deductible. Thanks for the info.

How was your experience with Sourdough? Everything o.k.? Was the truck in good condition?

We rented the Ford F-150, and we had no problems. The Ck engine light was on, but he said no worries about that. He did say coming down the pass to put it in 2nd as the brakes were a little touchy. My husband didn't seem to be too concerned, and I think he would know. I really liked Carey I spoke with him several times on the phone, and since it was still during the winter hours he gave me their home ph#. I don't think he would give you something that wasn't reliable. Definitely used, but roadworthy, and clean. I will use him again when we go back. Actually compared to a lot of the vehicles on the road it was really nice. I think they had a really rough winter, and so a lot of the personal cars we saw had dents, and taillights smashed. In Juneau we rented a car from Rent a Wreck, and I really liked those girls also, and also had no problem with the vehicle. It was well worth it to see the countryside, and stop to see what we wanted to see. Emerald Lake is 73.5 miles from Skagway, and I printed out the suggested day excursion on his website. It gives points of interest. There was no snow on the road, but was very deep on both sides up around the summit of White Pass. Absolutely Beautiful. We did have to stop for some Caribou to cross. I was so excited when I remembered I had my Camera, and snapped the picture they were already over the side, and blended in with the underbrush.:(

We did see other Soughdough cars. All the cars, and trucks have a logo on the side. There is only one gas station in Skagway, and we pd 3.87 gallon to gas it back up. I think it cost about 52.00. Car would be a lot cheaper, but since we kept looking at the pictures on the web, and still a lot of snow we wanted the 4X4. We had family that took the tour up to Carcross on the bus, and stopped at a Sled dog puppy farm, and then back on the Train. We didn't stop at the Puppy Farm, but we did pass it on the way to Emerald Lake. The tour didn't take in Emerald lake even though they were very close, That is a beautiful lake. Let me know if you need anymore info. Pam

How was your experience with Sourdough? Everything o.k.? Was the truck in good condition?

We rented the Ford F-150, and we had no problems. The Ck engine light was on, but he said no worries about that. He did say coming down the pass to put it in 2nd as the brakes were a little touchy.

Sorry, flame away, but in NO circumstance, do I find this even remotely acceptable having the breaks a little "touchy"??????

This condition of your car, continues to have me, finding this operator poorly running his business, which in my experience is NOTHING new.

Hi...There are 7 in our party and we are leaving Vancouver Sept. 1st. Part of the group really wants to do the rail/bus White Pass...another wants to do the dog-sledding and a couple want to drive and see Emerald Lake. Question to those who have been....are there the same opportunities for drivers to enjoy vs. taking the train/bus?? Can we stop in alot of the same spots? I'm just worried a train ride is too long, as we like to 'do' things. Driving I felt we could get out and explore. Any comments or suggestions??? We also want to do a Salmon bake and I'm figuring since Skagway is the Salmon capitol of the world this would be a better place than Juneau.....thoughts??? we are there from 7AM to 8:30 PM.

Hi...There are 7 in our party and we are leaving Vancouver Sept. 1st. Part of the group really wants to do the rail/bus White Pass...another wants to do the dog-sledding and a couple want to drive and see Emerald Lake. Question to those who have been....are there the same opportunities for drivers to enjoy vs. taking the train/bus?? Can we stop in alot of the same spots? I'm just worried a train ride is too long, as we like to 'do' things. Driving I felt we could get out and explore. Any comments or suggestions??? We also want to do a Salmon bake and I'm figuring since Skagway is the Salmon capitol of the world this would be a better place than Juneau.....thoughts??? we are there from 7AM to 8:30 PM.

Depending on your tastes, there is a company out of Skagway called southeasttours.com who can drive all of you to Emerald Lake, some can horseback ride with Joni and some can just sightsee - Check out their website. I have booked the Yukon Horseback Riding adventure for September 9th - but read the site - there are options for all of your group. Dave (the guy I have spoken with) is very nice and helpful. I've also spoken with Joni - who has informed me that the rail tour is really more for those "less-adventurous". You would still see the beautiful scenery by going with the tour I have mentioned.

Whatever you do - enjoy!

For clairfication- Skagway is not the salmon capital of the world, Ketchikan is. There is a good salmon bake at Liarsville.

The train and self driving are two different experiences, The rail is loaded with history and superior scenery.

You have plenty of places to stop and go on your own and excellent for everyone, including the driver.

I suggest everyone go their own way and make your own tour choices. However if flightseeing- I suggest that be booked now. These tours always sell out.

Budget Queen is entitled to her opinion, however my husband is a pretty good mechanic, and in his opinion the truck was just fine. We had no problems, nor did I see any signs of neglect to the truck. I was just trying to give an honest answer to your question. I do not feel there was any danger driving it. We would not hesitate to rent from Sourdough again. So I would say make up your own mind. I wonder if Budget Queen has ever rented from Sourdough?

Archived