Magic Powder-'delicate' question

missyal

Hi again,

Sure you can use Nair "down under" :), but with any depilitory, they recommend test patches. Some people are very sensitive, and would be even MORE sensitive in this area.

It's fine for me, unless I leave it on too long, in which case, the skin gets a tad irritated, but is fine the next day. Even still, it's nothing compared to razor burn!

good luck with it,

melissa :)

Yep, the Magic Cream can be used EVERYWHERE. My advice is to apply in the front and about 2 minutes later, apply to the rest of the desired bare area. If you have any craft sticks (popsicle-type sticks) around the house, they work great for scraping. I get into the shower, scrape away until it's all gone. Don't use soap or lotion afterwards. If you want to take another shower a few hours later it would be better because soap burns a little immediately after the Magic Cream. I don't get crazy with exfoliating or anything, something about the way the MC works prevents razor bumps.

I buy Magic Powder at Walmart. It's marketed as a facial depilitory for African American men, so you'll find it with the other shaving products. NOT (at my Walmart at least) with the neet & Nair & waxing products for women.

It's cheap, mostly effective, but I prefer waxing. Working on laser but I have to find a new place to go--last place I went (which I liked) is just too far away....

Hi, just a comment on laser hair removal...Several of my friends have tried this and most grew back no matter how many sessions they went for. While some had the hair come back thinner but no 100% successes. I just wanted to throw that out there. Good luck to you!!!:)

I have used both Magic powder and the pre-mixed cream. It works great. I first read about it on this forum years ago. It may have the same ingredients as Nair but it works much more efficiently. I think the powder is stronger than the pre-mix but both work well. The pre-mix cream is much more convenient and easy to use. I have used it on the bikini area and entire leg and found the hair to grow back very slowly and thinner. I accidently got the cream on a dime sized area in "sensitive area" and I had an irritation for a week or two. I would not recommend getting that close. I think the suggestion of using vaseline as a barrier is a good idea.

I wear gloves when applying the cream as I found my fingertips were sensitive and peeled after I applied the cream without gloves. I found this strange as the mixture didnt bother the skin in the bikini area.

I know you all said that when you first used it there was no itch and no bumps, but what about later when the hair started to grow, any itch then? How long was it before you saw growth again? Sorry to be so nosy, but if not here where else can a girl get such great advice.:D

I know you all said that when you first used it there was no itch and no bumps, but what about later when the hair started to grow, any itch then? How long was it before you saw growth again? Sorry to be so nosy, but if not here where else can a girl get such great advice.:D

For me, I almost ALWAYS have itchy re-growth, no matter what type of hair removal I've done, from shaving to waxing to magic powder. It's the combo of the curly hair and my skin type or something, I guess. So if you normally have some itching with hair re-growth, using magic powder won't change that. That has been my personal experience. I hope yours is better:D

PS I use baby exczema cream (by aveeno) the first two days after hair removal in the bikini line--my aesthetician suggested I try that years ago, and it works great!

For me, I almost ALWAYS have itchy re-growth, no matter what type of hair removal I've done, from shaving to waxing to magic powder. It's the combo of the curly hair and my skin type or something, I guess. So if you normally have some itching with hair re-growth, using magic powder won't change that. That has been my personal experience. I hope yours is better:D

PS I use baby exczema cream (by aveeno) the first two days after hair removal in the bikini line--my aesthetician suggested I try that years ago, and it works great!

and those nasty little ingrown hairs too! but it is necessary to look decent in our suits.

I bought some bikini area creme from Veet that did not smell like the Nair and worked better. Nair still leaves about half the hair.

Thanks for the heads up on the itch factor. My bikini line is maintained year round, razor. But I have been known to accidentally come in closer than intended and that is where sometimes it can irritate me. So I am thinking if I use it on just the area, and have no accidents, that I maintain all year it might not bother me, hmmmm.:)

I am going to try some of this!:D I hate shaving the bikini area! I wonder if it would work on the underarms...there would probably be irrritation with anti-persperants and some natural deoderants!

Again, Magic Powder was designed to be used on faces (It was designed for african-american men, to lessen the chance of ingrown hairs & bumps) so I'm sure it's safe enough to be used on your underarms--mine are less sensitive than my bikini line:p

Ok, after reading this thread I thought I'd give it a shot. Today I went to CVS and I bought the silver can. It said it has aloe and vitamin E and i figured maybe that would mean less irritation. Guess we'll find out!

Well, well, well! I posted about the Carefree Hair Remover that I used on my legs and armpits. However, it's not recommended for use in the other areas and I can see why considering the applicator is as wide as a stick of solid deodorant.

Now I'm going to get some of this Magic Powder and try it out. The bikini area (and a bit more) is the only place I've still been razoring! :) The Carefree kit came with a bladeless razor. Would it work for the "scraping" part of removal of the Magic Powder?

Reviews .........

This stuff works really well. But make sure you follow the directions, and don't mix it up too thickly. I made it too thick, and it seriously clogged my drain for about a year afterward because I did both my legs, and scrapped all the stuff off into the bathtub. Unlike Nair, it didn't just wash down and that was that! It turned into a huge clumpy mess that took forever to go away. But that's because I didn't read the directions, and used WAY too much powder. Read the directions, use an old [not scratchy] credit card, or a washcloth to get the hair all off.

-- Anonymous on April 26, 2007

I am a 37 year old black man having used Magic Shave for the past 17 years with satisfaction. Using Magic Shave is quick, simple, efficient, and cost-effective. Keep it coming!!!

-- Anonymous on September 15, 2006

I am a 27 year old Caucasian woman. I use Magic Shaving Powder to get a completely bare bikini area. The first time I used it I had a hard time mixing the powder with water, but since then I have been putting the powder and water in a small jar with a lid and shaking it for a creamy, even mixture. I use a plastic spoon to spread the cream over my skin and to keep patting on water as it dries (you're not supposed to let it dry). Then I use the same plastic spoon to gently scrape off the hair and cream. It makes my skin smooth and silky for two days. On the third day, I use the powder again or else just live with the stubble until I decide to remove it. I tried it on my upper lip once and though I only left it on for 3 minutes, I ended up with a "burn" on my upper lip. I won't use it on my face again, but I have never gotten better results "down there" with anything else. I used to use the Mach 3 razor but will never switch back now that I've found Magic Powder. Highly recommended.

-- Anonymous on February 22, 2006

I'm a woman and I use this to get a completely bare bikini area, and it works wonders! Just don't leave it on too long or you will burn your skin.

-- Anonymous on September 21, 2005

Great product! Very inexpensive. I use it to remove excess facial hair. It does a super job with no sensitivity or redness. I highly recommend it.

-- Debbe, Fairfield, FL on June 20, 2005

I bought this product to use on my head. Works great. Magic Smooth caused bumps on my neck even after trying to be careful. This product works great applied every 3 days.

-- Marion on August 11, 2004

This product is a well-kept secret apparently. It is a depilatory that comes as a powder that you mix with water. I'm a woman, and I use this product on my legs and bikini line. It really does prevent those red bumps. I have very sensitive skin, and had no irritation at all from the product. Best of all, it's a fraction of the price of other depilatories, and even cheaper than razor blades.

-- Jennifer C, Seattle, WA on August 5, 2003

Archived