Montreal -

jazzsea

We are sailing on Maasdam, September 1 from Boston to Montreal. We would like to take the Amtrak train from Montreal to Albany, NY and then pick up a rental car. The train leaves at 9:50 AM from Montreal. The station is very near the port, but I know this is a tad early to guarantee. We'll need to be at the train station at 9:15 PM at the latest.

We've looked at rental cars from Montreal and they are so pricey. Any suggestions? We have a week long road trip planned and will depart Hartford, CT for home in Florida on September 15.

I STRONGLY advise against you planning to be at a train station in Montreal at 9:15. Way too early to count on being there. (I assume you mean 9:15 A.M. ....not P.M.)

Reconfirm arrival time in Montreal. there have been long delays with these trains at customs from time to time.

Book with Avis car rentals.

Quote discount #A039400. You should get a car for $45/day unlimited Km per day.

I agree with sail. There's a chance you could be at the station by 9:15---especially if you can do express disembarkation---but my nerves would be shot attempting it.

Is there a later train? Can you stay overnight in Montreal and take the train the next day?

We took the train from Montreal to Albany, while you might make it- I agree with others it is risky to try to make a 9:15 train. It is not so much the distance from the port to train station as it is trying to get off in such a tight time frame. We spent the night in Montreal and picked up the train the next morning.

We are sailing on Maasdam, September 1 from Boston to Montreal. We would like to take the Amtrak train from Montreal to Albany, NY and then pick up a rental car. The train leaves at 9:50 AM from Montreal. The station is very near the port, but I know this is a tad early to guarantee. We'll need to be at the train station at 9:15 PM at the latest.

We've looked at rental cars from Montreal and they are so pricey. Any suggestions? We have a week long road trip planned and will depart Hartford, CT for home in Florida on September 15.

When is the next train?

Hi Jazzsea,

We have a reservation for that cruise. I had posted a roll call, but haven't looked at it lately. Did you find it?

My husband has never been to Montreal, so we are planning to spend a couple or three nights in Montreal in the Old City.

All of this is contingent on my bad back behaving itself.

I hope to see you on board and your thoughts on the roll call.

Roberta

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input. We are going to leave the ship in Quebec City and take the train from Quebec City to Montreal. We'll stay over night in Montreal and catch the train to Albany on September 8 at 9:50 AM. It's the only way to guarantee being in Albany by dinner time.

Looking forward to another great Holland America Line cruise. DH is looking forward to a dinner in Cooperstown, New York, at the National Baseball Hall of Fame. See. Compromise works.

Do not even think about that 9+ train. You will never make it.

then again, the last mega-millionaire lottery winner was probably told not to "waste" the $1 for the ticket:D

must, however, agree with kk and the rest of the posters .. just too close for comfort .. also you need is "1" customs official in the "wrong mood" and that's it for everyone

if it's the only train out to Albany all day and this is really important for you, stay overnight, enjoy the city and the great food; then take the train the next day

Archived