Island Princess Review 4/26/07

sassystyxfan

Well thank you my friend, but as I say, I could just use the last review I did on Island Princess and change the dates. The trip was as spectacular as I described it in that review.

You and Fabian were missed... ;)

Trust me, I'm sure I missed being there with you guys much more than you could possibly have missed us. We don't even have any vacation plans at the moment let alone a cruise booked......:eek:

Somebody - rewind! I wanna go back! I miss my new friends, our ship, our staff - EVERYTHING!

244 days until our next cruise for my 50th birthday. I almost can't stand it!

Thanks for listening...

the 2 bad things about cruising

1. leaving the ship

2. the wait till the next cruise

We had the same experience - even with the memorized card number. So I should know you - I was in there every nite too!

I was on the cruise right before you (Apr 11th). I'm still seasick--I NEED TO GET BACK TO SEA! This cruise was just the best. I've kept in contact with some new friends that I met in Crooner's. I've also received an email from Brendan Jones-we'll keep in contact. He's a real funny guy--I hope he was able to "cut loose" a bit with your crowd. It's a shame that ISLAND PRINCESS will soon be taking the Panama Canal trips--I'd love to cruise IP again; but, i've got chronic asthma and the hot & humid weather in that part of the world really scares me--I just have a real hard time breathing in those conditions. I wonder if the middle of winter would be less oppressive?

I was on the cruise right before you (Apr 11th). I'm still seasick--I NEED TO GET BACK TO SEA! This cruise was just the best. I've kept in contact with some new friends that I met in Crooner's. I've also received an email from Brendan Jones-we'll keep in contact. He's a real funny guy--I hope he was able to "cut loose" a bit with your crowd. It's a shame that ISLAND PRINCESS will soon be taking the Panama Canal trips--I'd love to cruise IP again; but, i've got chronic asthma and the hot & humid weather in that part of the world really scares me--I just have a real hard time breathing in those conditions. I wonder if the middle of winter would be less oppressive?

I loved Brendan Jones - FUNNY! We played Name that Tune with him and he was kidding with us about our "singing".

We booked a Princess cruise onboard and we have 4 years to decide where we wanna go. Maybe Panama Canal on IP!

Ahhh... yes, a wonderful cruise it was.

Our friend Brian added some valid points to the initial thorough review.

This was our 3rd time on this 15-day Hawaii cruise and we'll do it again. The down time during the many sea days causes a total lack of connection with the real world and, seemingly, time itself.

Lastly, I'd like to add to the chorus of appreciation for the services of Joseph up in Crooners. He's got Martinis down flat - both in presentation and substance. We also turned in kudos on his behalf to management.

Nori & Hunter

Just want to mention a few "cruise highlights" that my dinner table companions left out.:D The ladies at our table would start off every evening by fighting over who would sit next to Brian. I would say that Nori won out most evenings;) . Luckily none of us have jealous husbands.

I really enjoyed decorating Hunter with the party streamers on Island night. He was a very good sport and looked quite festive.

We had quite a few late evenings in Explorer's Lounge. I can still see Phil in the DJ's box shaking his head and saying, "I shouldn't be playing all this hard core stuff.". I think it's the first time that the "disco" became a "mosh pit". BTW, he has 83,000 songs available.

We had quite an exciting ride in the Thrifty car rental shuttle. You know, it's not that bad riding on the floor under the luggage racks.:rolleyes: And that really was CherryDarling's swimsuit you saw, not like the time in the theatre. Oh, I better not go there.

Hearing the ship blowing the horn for us in Ensenado brings back fond memories of our mad dash back to the ship.:rolleyes: Bruce and I didn't mean to leave you all behind, but I had to stop and buy tequila for our housesitter and we did make the ship wait for you. Later that evening, several of the ship's bar staff informed us that they had heard our group paged over the loudspeaker and were glad to see that we made it back on board.

Of course we made it back. We had to go to the American Idol finals and see our friend Richie perform in his hula skirt and coconut bra.:eek:

This was a very fun cruise for us and we already have the next one planned with our friend CherryDarling and her DH for her Birthday. Please come visit us on our roll call, 11/25/07 Dawn Princess Mex Riv.

Ciao for now!

Hearing the ship blowing the horn for us in Ensenado brings back fond memories of our mad dash back to the ship.:rolleyes: Bruce and I didn't mean to leave you all behind, but I had to stop and buy tequila for our housesitter and we did make the ship wait for you. Later that evening, several of the ship's bar staff informed us that they had heard our group paged over the loudspeaker and were glad to see that we made it back on board.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm so glad that I was in the shower and didn't hear the page...talk about reason for an anxiety attack - and glad that by the time I heard the ship's whistle and poked my head out, the majority of you were hoofing it across the parking lot within sight of the ship...that's the last time I let you all go out in Mexico without a chaperone...fourteen days without incident and you guys get lost in Ensenada...! :D

And remember, none of your husbands have a thing to be jealous about ;)

And remember, none of your husbands have a thing to be jealous about ;)

I know. I am just being a cheeky monkey;) .

I forgot to mention all the "stuff the black card gets you" that isn't on the Princess website. I received grilled onions on my chicken sandwich at the poolside grill (that was after the cook told my friend that he had too many orders that day and couldn't grill any onions). I was seated next to a very handsome Italian man, Guieseppe, the Staff Engineer, at the Captain's luncheon. I got to keep my bottle of tequila in Ensenada (and the 5 bottles of pineapple wine in Hawaii). But best of all, on the second day of the cruise, I introduced myself to Mark and Billy, who told me whatever they could do to make me happy, just ask. Hence leading to Phil playing Disturbed, Papa Roach, Seether, Nine Inch Nails, etc. for us in the new Explorer's Mosh Pit. And Mark is just the sweetest, nicest man out of all the cruise staff and a wonderful dancer.

I know. I am just being a cheeky monkey;) .

I forgot to mention all the "stuff the black card gets you" that isn't on the Princess website. I received grilled onions on my chicken sandwich at the poolside grill (that was after the cook told my friend that he had too many orders that day and couldn't grill any onions). I was seated next to a very handsome Italian man, Guieseppe, the Staff Engineer, at the Captain's luncheon. I got to keep my bottle of tequila in Ensenada (and the 5 bottles of pineapple wine in Hawaii). But best of all, on the second day of the cruise, I introduced myself to Mark and Billy, who told me whatever they could do to make me happy, just ask. Hence leading to Phil playing Disturbed, Papa Roach, Seether, Nine Inch Nails, etc. for us in the new Explorer's Mosh Pit. And Mark is just the sweetest, nicest man out of all the cruise staff and a wonderful dancer.

Ah yes...sometimes when one tries to explain to the crew that they are "Elite" it doesn't quite register...depends on the language, I guess. But say "Black Card" and eyes light up! And grilled onions go on chicken sandwiches. And they stop trying to sell you tickets to wine tasting... :D

Ah yes...sometimes when one tries to explain to the crew that they are "Elite" it doesn't quite register...depends on the language, I guess. But say "Black Card" and eyes light up! And grilled onions go on chicken sandwiches. And they stop trying to sell you tickets to wine tasting... :D

Yes, I now have enough of the shot glasses with the little colored balls on the bottom that I can make a wreath out of them, like the bartenders do at Christmas on the ships.

Yes, I now have enough of the shot glasses with the little colored balls on the bottom that I can make a wreath out of them, like the bartenders do at Christmas on the ships.
:D Now that I've got to see!!

Laura, thank you for easing my mind. I'm on the Island Princess Nov 3rd for the Panama Canal cruise. I've read quite a few reviews that weren't very positive and was beginning to regret my decision. Based on the comments in this thread from everyone I'm convinced this was the right choice.

I have just spent a delightful few moments reading this review and remembering my trip on the IP two years ago! I confess to lurking occasionly on your roll call becuase it looked like such a great group of people, planning such fun things. BDJAM_ I am giving Mr Sunshine his order now. We are joining the next Hawaiian Cruise so keep me posted. Now, don't any of you fun people want to come join me on the Sapphire to Alaska? Karen

I have just spent a delightful few moments reading this review and remembering my trip on the IP two years ago! I confess to lurking occasionly on your roll call becuase it looked like such a great group of people, planning such fun things. BDJAM_ I am giving Mr Sunshine his order now. We are joining the next Hawaiian Cruise so keep me posted. Now, don't any of you fun people want to come join me on the Sapphire to Alaska? Karen

Hi Karen!!!! Happy Belated Birthday!

You should join the family on our October 4th Diamond Princess sailing to Hawaii! In fact, everyone needs to join us!!! :D :D

I too was on the IP two years ago with Karen and Rich and it was a wonderful cruise. Brian, you were on that cruise too......correct? I can not wait to repeat this itinerary. I just got back from a 3 week trip to Europe (Ireland and Italy) and it was WONDERFUL. But it made me appreciate cruising......it is less expensive than Europe and you don't have to unpack/pack, unpack/pack over and over again!!

As always I agree with all of the wonderful posts here on this thread! This trip could not have been better and it was the third time for us in 3 years.

We LOVE this ship and the itinerary and the food and staff this time were the best out of all three trips!

The Island fits this trip so perfectly but I guess it is a matter of Princess looking at the route and deciding that they could make a lot more money if they placed a bigger ship in the Islands. I will think about going again on the Diamond but the thought of 600 + more people on board and trying to tender with all of those people scares me!

Hopefully the Island will return again to Hawaii one day and for sure we will be on it if she does!

Cheers!

Yasmine

I'm thinking the next Hawaiian cruise should probably be about this time in 2009...but then again...15 days, 8 of them at sea and Hawaii...I could be persuaded to go anytime! Sunshine, you're coming along and Spingal, yes...I was on the same cruise as you two years ago. Was looking forward to meeting you this time. You'll have to tell us all what you think of Diamond Princess doing the run.

The Island fits this trip so perfectly but I guess it is a matter of Princess looking at the route and deciding that they could make a lot more money if they placed a bigger ship in the Islands. I will think about going again on the Diamond but the thought of 600 + more people on board and trying to tender with all of those people scares me!

I agree - I don't think it will be quite the same with the bigger ship doing the itinerary - Island Princess is the perfect size and ambience for the laid back Hawaiian Islands. Princess must have the right kind of demand to put the larger ship there - along with the fact that Island Princess is taking some of the Panama Canal transits...and the larger ships can't do that.

What Princess needs is a couple more 2000 passenger ships - but that's off topic... :D

As I will think about going again on the Diamond but the thought of 600 + more people on board and trying to tender with all of those people scares me!

Agreed!! But I am lucky enough to get priority tender tickets since I am elite!! :D :D

Agreed!! But I am lucky enough to get priority tender tickets since I am elite!! :D :D
Just be careful when you use them...let's just say "if looks could kill" I'd be buried in Maui about now.

I agree with everyones opinion on this cruise. It was great!!!!

I think that the cruise staff on this ship are some of the best I've ever encountered. I think that Billy Hygate is an invisible CD You really never saw him except on the morning show or if we was singing before or after a show.

Mark, Natalie, Ben, Peter, Niki and Sasha were awsome. They worked very hard at keeping everyone busy and having fun. Natalie is going to the Coral the beginning of July. Ben is going to the Emerald in Sept. So good for them.

The staff at the desk were always polite and had a smile on their faces.

The bartenders at the Explorers Lounge were great. JR was always smiling, even on the 3 day coastal that the "party" people on board. That place was packed and didn't close until 5AM on Sunday morning:eek: Anna was great in Crooners or any bar she was in.

They had 1600 "new" cruisers on this cruise and it was very different from the prior 15 days. Lots of kids (250) Make me realize that I won't sail during holiday time

I was lucky, I never met any rude people on our cruise, but there were tons of them on the 3 day coastal. The line up for checking out was at least 20 people deep all day yesterday right up until 2 Am and this morning. The desk people should be given all flowers for putting up with such rude, rude people.

It was great meeting everyone and look forward to traveling with some of you again:D

I have to agree with the everybody that was on board the Hawaii RT, and thought all was excellent. I enjoyed the cruise. The Island Princess is now one of my favorite ships as is the sister ship the Coral. We'll be back on the Island for the 19 Day RT LA — Panama canal.

I'll also have to agree with kpalmer, on the 3 Day Coastal cruise. There were many 'first time' cruisers as well as many teenagers from the LA area (300) as I understood it. There was a wedding party of some 90 passengers, attending the on board wedding. There was a bachelor party consisting of many Vancouver, BC fireman and emergency Para-medics.

I also noticed a large group of Asians that all seemed to know each other (50 or 60) of them.

It was my thought that the young Canadians onboard liked to party and did so with Gusto! Most were not rude though, some used bad language, noise in the corridors outside the staterooms after midnight, etc. Many had small children with them and allowed them to be around the bars late into the night. Of course, we had one formal night, very few Tux evident.

Of course, many passengers were from Vancouver, BC. This may have contributed, to the confusion on debarkation as they were all trying to get off at the first chance, instead of waiting for their turn.

I'll not take another coastal cruise again! :(

The RT LA — Hawaii cruise was GREAT! (10) :D

The LA — Vancouver, BC Cruise, out of 10, I'd give it a '7.'

GBeret................. We never had any confusion on disembarkation. We just waited in the Explorers Lounge (very few Platinium and elite on the 3 day) Our number was called at 8:50 and we were through customs,had our luggage and waiting for our son to pick us at the front of hotel by 9:30:D Maybe it was harder for people that flights.

I liked the high energy of the 3 day coastal, just not all the kids:eek: I'd do it again. In fact i'm looking at the 4 day coastal from Van - LA in sept. Might be fun doing it in the fall. The cruise is cheap, it's the one-way airfares that push the price up

Have a great weekend everyone.......... We're off camping

GBeret,

Amen on the coastal. We took this to be platinum for our hawaii cruise in October. It was like no other Princess cruise I have ever been on.

There were over 900 kids on our Thanksgiving cruise with Princess and not one problem. This little cruise the parents checked their card at the door.

We did relax. Read and stuck to our room and quiet areas. Will try the Island again with a longer cruise. Loved her layout and really liked our room. The rating 7 works.

Archived