Island Princess Review 4/26/07

sassystyxfan

Hawaii Cruise on Island Princess 4/26/07

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author and are not intended to offend anyone on Cruise Critic Message Board, Princess or Island Princess enthusiasts, or friends traveling on this cruise, nor is it the intent to start a flame war. If you fail to see the humor in this disclaimer, stop reading now. :) :cool: :)

A few initial thoughts: Did we have a great time? Absolutely! This was our best vacation EVER because of the ship, staff, excursions, relaxation time and pampering combined! Was the service the best of 7 cruises? We had the best cabin attendant ever. I can’t believe how clean our stateroom was every day. We tipped Cynthia (Baja Deck B437) during and after the cruise. We found pre-tipping doesn’t feel right to us. So when she brought us our “pre-ordered” robes, egg crate for the bed and clean martini glasses on the first day, and kept our room so spotless, we wanted to show our appreciation in the middle of our cruise and at the end. Service in the dining room was #2 (Celebrity’s Mercury and Century are still tied for the #1 spot because of the best waiters we’ve ever had). Was the food in the dining room good? Very, very good. Excellent still goes to Celebrity. I only had one bad meal – the rockfish. The king crab legs, lobster, filets, lamb, salmon, pasta and escargot were EXCELLENT. The desserts were good, not as good as the other ships’. Can I just say the coffee in the dining room was just ok, at best. Coffee in Horizon Court was just awful – didn’t even attempt room service java. My husband’s job was to keep that coffee card current and go down for our mochas every morning. Did that ruin our cruise? NOT! I'll be taking a coffee pot the next time I go on a Princess cruise though! All that being said, here are explanations of the highlights and low points of our cruise:

Embarkation: Smooth and without incident. It took us less than 10 minutes to get on the ship after loading our luggage onto the porter’s cart.

Debarkation: Same story. Customs was a breeze, we were off the ship in no time at all and our luggage was easy to find. Well-orchestrated and easy.

Public Areas: VERY clean and very beautiful.

Buffet – GREAT food. I loved the macadamia nuts on the salad bar the first day. I am usually not impressed by buffets, but this one got me. Loved the variety of food including different types of smoked fish (I love salmon, mahi mahi, etc. with breakfast, but the smoked trout was extra yummy). TONS of fruit, the omelets were made beautifully and the bacon was so perfectly crisp. Hashbrowns - not so good, but other breakfast potatoes were yummy.

Princess Grill outside – loved the burgers, fries, pizza and hubby liked the brats. The hotdog and hamburger buns were very fresh.

Activities and Entertainment: We played one trivia game, but were pretty darned lazy on this cruise. The weather was great except for only a couple days, but even when the sun wasn't out, the Lotus Pool area was terrific! So that's why we were so busy doing nothing! We even forgot to go to the CC parties - sorry to those of you who put so much work into them. Every time I checked my watch, it was too late.

I believe the activities were centered around an older crowd like on both Celebrity ships we’ve been on. I still think Royal Caribbean has it in the activities department. There’s so much going on all the time that we needed a highlighter so we could plan our days on RCCL. This trip was about reading by the Lotus and Lido Pools when not in port. Gee how rough, huh? LOL. Entertainment has been much more impressive on other cruises, but we really liked the Motown show and absolutely loved the comedian, Kevin Hughes.

Staff: Salon – great. Cocktail waiters/bartenders – great. Martini Bar – great (my favorite). I miss Joseph already….

Photographers: Weak. We bought one 5 x 7. The photos were so harsh. We usually buy a bunch and give them to family, etc. Didn’t this time.

We loved all the sea days. We loved the staff. We loved the ship. We loved the food. Yes, we’ve had better food, but we enjoyed it nonetheless. What we didn’t like were all the grumpy people who barked out orders to staff, complained about EVERYTHING, and just their downright nastiness. I think what bothers me is that their rudeness was either loud enough for me to hear, or ugly enough for me to notice. Average age on this ship: 75 ish, but a lot were older. We met so many nice couples of different ages on this cruise that we will keep in touch with. We ALL had one thing in common – our experience with the rude people on this cruise who were dissatisfied with everything. We would share our latest observations every day. Well, it kept us entertained anyway! All of us think people in general oughta lighten up - we only get to be here for a short time - be happy.

On port days we ran, ran, ran. I am writing a separate review of the excursions we took. I’ll try to post that tomorrow.

If there are any questions, please ask away. I’ll answer what I can!

Cocktail waiters/bartenders – great. Martini Bar – great (my favorite). I miss Joseph already….

Thank you--I spent most every night in Crooner's and Joseph, Savio, and Anna were the best servers ever!!!

I've never received such personal attention--they knew exactly what I wanted before I even sat down, and Savio even remembered my card number so I wouldn't be inconvenienced by having to show it to him each day. Although Anna did threaten to shake my beer after I said that I felt left out that everyone ordering a martini got a song & dance with their drink. They made my trip so much more enjoyable. i wonder if there is a way to find out which ships they get assigned to for their next contract?

What we didn’t like were all the grumpy people who barked out orders to staff, complained about EVERYTHING, and just their downright nastiness. I think what bothers me is that their rudeness was either loud enough for me to hear, or ugly enough for me to notice. Average age on this ship: 75 ish, but a lot were older.

I was on this same cruise and agree with almost everything said. It was by far an exceptional cruise experience.

I ran into only 2 really rude people in the dining room for breakfast and lunch and they were really ugly! After glaring at them, they calmed down. There were some younger couples, but on a longer cruise, you do get more seniors. There were also a few children (about 6 or 7 that I saw) and they were well behaved.

Cocktail waiters/bartenders – great. Martini Bar – great (my favorite). I miss Joseph already….

Thank you--I spent most every night in Crooner's and Joseph, Savio, and Anna were the best servers ever!!!

I've never received such personal attention--they knew exactly what I wanted before I even sat down, and Savio even remembered my card number so I wouldn't be inconvenienced by having to show it to him each day. Although Anna did threaten to shake my beer after I said that I felt left out that everyone ordering a martini got a song & dance with their drink. They made my trip so much more enjoyable. i wonder if there is a way to find out which ships they get assigned to for their next contract?

Well, I must confess that my "treat", if I worked out every morning,was a spicy bloody mary. Crooners made the BEST. Anyway, so I saw Joseph almost every sea day morning, but almost every night. I can tell you that he is taking 5 months off to marry his honey in the Phillipines and she's having their baby in June. So it's up in the air where he will be later. The others - I don't know - but I'd like to find out too if there's a roster of some sort somewhere for us to find out where our favorite staff is.

Since I was on the same cruise, I hope that the original poster doesn’t mind some follow up comments. I don’t want to write a whole review because the review I did on this cruise two years ago is pretty much valid for this cruise as well.

I think the quality of the experience on Island Princess top-notch. I have been reading posts here on Cruise Critic since I’ve returned and the issues they communicate are so foreign to anything I experienced over the 15 days on board. The trip was practically perfect. There was one slip up at the Purser’s desk regarding post-cruise transfers to the airport, yet a second visit immediately resolved it.

I was disappointed in the scheduling of entertainment events by Billy Hygate. Many excellent (so I heard) headline solo acts were scheduled for pre-dinner shows for Late Seating passengers. What’s the use of having late seating if you have to be ready early to go to the show? I was also disappointed in the fact there were only 3 productions shows given (all on the formal nights) over the 15 days. I did Regal Princess last year for 15 days through the Panama Canal – there were five production shows with half the cast and much less sophisticated theater equipment. And don’t get me started on scheduling a trivia session at 10:30 p.m. in Explorer’s – the only dance “club” on the ship.

The production show cast was very good – dancers excellent, singers good – and the Cruise Staff excellent – special nods to Natalie and Peter. Nicole in the Lotus Spa was especially wonderful – she spent a good deal of time with me after a treatment teaching me stretches to help with my stiff lower back – and NEVER gave me the hard-sell for product (I bought some anyway).

I was also disappointed at the attitude of some passengers – I heard of one man berating a waiter because the creamer wasn’t placed on the table exactly in front of him. A beautiful sail-away in Hilo was ruined because someone on a lower balcony decided that was the perfect time to scream into their cell phone about their Hilo shore excursion (apparently they liked it). My next door neighbors I nick-named Family With Screaming Child – on the balcony at 6:00 in the morning, every morning no less. And the worst was when a disabled friend of mine was berated because he was told by staff to take the elevator to the tender dock and the door opened to a line of people – who were quite upset that he wasn’t standing on the stairs when in fact he couldn’t - and thanks to Ethel and Scampi for being there to save us right when we needed them!

While there were a lot of people who were in an older demographic, I spent most of my time with friends in my age range and younger – there was really a mix on board.

And right – Joseph at Crooners was fantastic – he got a You Made the Difference card from me as did five other staff members. He left the ship for home in Vancouver and hopefully is experiencing safe travels.

I thought it was a great cruise and I’m up for it again in a couple of years – as my friends from Utah say, it is a cruiser’s cruise and if one dislikes sea days and the opportunity to experience the ship for it’s own merit, then this isn’t the cruise for them. It’s unfortunate that Island Princess won’t be doing the run in the future – I think her size and ambience matches the laid back attitude of Hawaii perfectly.

I agree with everyones opinion on this cruise. It was great!!!!

I think that the cruise staff on this ship are some of the best I've ever encountered. I think that Billy Hygate is an invisible CD You really never saw him except on the morning show or if we was singing before or after a show.

Mark, Natalie, Ben, Peter, Niki and Sasha were awsome. They worked very hard at keeping everyone busy and having fun. Natalie is going to the Coral the beginning of July. Ben is going to the Emerald in Sept. So good for them.

The staff at the desk were always polite and had a smile on their faces.

The bartenders at the Explorers Lounge were great. JR was always smiling, even on the 3 day coastal that the "party" people on board. That place was packed and didn't close until 5AM on Sunday morning:eek: Anna was great in Crooners or any bar she was in.

They had 1600 "new" cruisers on this cruise and it was very different from the prior 15 days. Lots of kids (250) Make me realize that I won't sail during holiday time

I was lucky, I never met any rude people on our cruise, but there were tons of them on the 3 day coastal. The line up for checking out was at least 20 people deep all day yesterday right up until 2 Am and this morning. The desk people should be given all flowers for putting up with such rude, rude people.

It was great meeting everyone and look forward to traveling with some of you again:D

We arrived home yesterday after spending the weekend with our daughters and their families in San Diego. As I've said before we've never been on a cruise we didn't like, but this was exceptional. EVERY crew member we came in contact with was especially friendly, and they all appeared happy in their respective jobs. Our room steward, Leo (Leonardo) on Caribe Deck was just wonderful. And unlike comments above, we didn't run into any rude passengers nor did we hear any complainers on this cruise. Obviously, that doesn't mean there weren't any!

Dining was a different experience for us. This was our first cruise in a long time without family or friends along, and we opted for Anytime Dining. The first night we dined in the Horizon Court and enjoyed the experience so much that we NEVER went to ANY of the other dining rooms! They even had crab legs up there one night, and they would grill a steak for you on any night while you picked out your other food choices. They labeled it a "minute" steak, but I think it was rib eye - delicious. DH really enjoyed the many fish choices. We thought the buffet choices for fruits, veggies, and desserts were excellent including three choices of ice cream and toppings every night.

Ports: We have been to Hawaii many times over the years, so we have our favorite places and go there (depending on weather) on every trip. First port was Lahaina, Maui. We tendered there, rented a car from Enterprise. They were waiting for us at the tender pier with a shuttle to their office in the Sheraton Hotel in Kaanapali. We drove up to Kapalua Beach to spend the morning, had wonderful crab and avocado sandwiches and mai tais at the Seahouse Restaurant nearby. It's a great little place sitting right on Napili Bay.

Honolulu was next. We spent the day in Waikiki walking through International Market Place in the morning, spending the afternoon on the beach, and having mai tais at the Halekulani at sunset.

Kauai: We rented a car from Thrifty, drove to Waimea Canyon very early. It was a gorgeous morning up there. We hadn't been there for a very long time, so we enjoyed the magnificent views. We spent the afternoon at another of our favorites - Poipu Beach. There were two seals sleeping on the beach while we were there.

Kona: A special day for us as our daughter and SIL had been attending a business conference there that ended the night before we arrived. They picked us up at the pier and we spent a wonderful five hours on another of our favorites - The Fairwind Catamaran snorkel trip. Later in the afternoon we had drinks and snacks at Huggos in Kona.

Hilo: Spent a scary day here! It started out fine with our Thrifty shuttle waiting at the pier to take us to the airport for our rental car pick-up. We drove up to Akaka Falls. Hubby did the walk to the falls. Got back in the car and started back down to Hilo intending to visit the Mac Nut Factory and do our final shopping.

On the way we made a stop at the Woodshop Gallery/Cafe. It is off the main highway on the rode up to Akaka Falls and is about 13 miles from Hilo. We have stopped there many times. They have wonderful Ahi fish sandwiches and other snacks as well as some interesting and different items to buy. As we were just looking around my DH all of a sudden didn't feel well. Well, as it turned out, apparently he had been bitten by something - we have no idea what it was - but he collapsed on the floor of the store. Paramedics were called and we spent the afternoon at the Emergency Room of the hospital in Hilo. I called Thrifty and they arranged for a tow truck to come pick up the car so I could ride with my husband in the ambulance.

Our ship was scheduled to leave at 3PM so we were very anxious for all the testing, etc. to be completed. It was a very busy Saturday afternoon in that hospital, and I can't say enough about how wonderful the paramedics, the doctor, and the hospital staff were to us. After medication, oxygen, blood tests, chest x-rays, etc., etc. DH was released to return to the ship's med center where the ship's Dr. prescribed a five day med plan. I was impressed with the medical facility on the Island Princess. We felt we were in good hands with their staff.

We feel especially indebted to Jeanette McLaren, the owner of the Woodshop Gallery/Cafe for her loving support and help. She was wonderful and even offered to drive the rental car back for us. There are some very caring and wonderful people in this world and she is definitely one of them. If you are ever in that area, stop by and say hello to Jeanette and enjoy browsing through her interesting shop.

We were concerned about our coming five sea days! The prescriptions took care of his problem and thank goodness all was fine on the way home. It was a wonderful cruise, mostly calm seas, no rain in Hawaii!, and we look forward to cruising there again. We are sorry to see the Island Princess moving to new territory as she is a beautiful, comfortable, well run ship and seemed to us to be just the perfect ship for this particular cruise. I guess we'll just have to try the Diamond next year! If you LOVE sea days, you should take this cruise to its perfect destination - Hawaii - just MHO!

Happy Cruising to All! And ALOHA!

Bucky

We are about to book this cruise....now on the Diamond Princess. Would you say there is an advantage to either the port or starboard side of the ship in terms of view when circling the Islands? Thanks for taking the time to write the review(s)....also, loved the pictures!

NanD

We are about to book this cruise....now on the Diamond Princess. Would you say there is an advantage to either the port or starboard side of the ship in terms of view when circling the Islands? Thanks for taking the time to write the review(s)....also, loved the pictures!

NanD

I would say there's no advantage to either - the only time I wished I was on the other side of the ship (my stateroom was port side) was when docked in Honolulu - the starboard side has a better view of the city where the port side has a view of the container docks. Normally going from island to island you're far enough out that you can't see the shore anyway. The only thing to really see is the lava flows on the Big Island, but the side of the ship facing them depends on the port order (whether Kona or Hilo comes first).

We were also on this cruise and enjoyed every minute. Just wanted to mention that the Explorer's Lounge wasn't the only venue for dancing. If you did not visit the Wheelhouse Bar, you missed the best combo on the seas - Jana and Danny. They shared the stage with a very talented Jads Trio who together provided continuious dance music from 5:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. When Jana and Danny played, it was hard to find a seat, they were that outstanding. They are an extremely talented couple who both sing, play the sax, keyboard; Danny the piano and Jana the bongos and guitar. Could play virtually any type of music and had many loyal fans. Only show we saw was the evening in Honolulu because we spent every chance we could get dancing to Jana and Danny.

Brian, I was wondering if you were working on a review of this cruise as well. I always enjoy reading your reviews.
Well thank you my friend, but as I say, I could just use the last review I did on Island Princess and change the dates. The trip was as spectacular as I described it in that review.

You and Fabian were missed... ;)

We were also on the ship so I ditto what the previous posters have said. No problems except for some weird room service. I bet we are the only ones to refuse canapes as they were delivered every afternoon at 4pm no matter how hard I tried to get them to stop.... :eek::D

That was quick! Thanks for the information.... it's most appreciated.

Nan

You're welcome...
We were also on the ship so I ditto what the previous posters have said. No problems except for some weird room service. I bet we are the only ones to refuse canapes as they were delivered every afternoon at 4pm no matter how hard I tried to get them to stop....
Must have something to do with being a VIP - you were the big star of the juggler's show, now weren't you...? :D

Ahhh... yes, a wonderful cruise it was.

Our friend Brian added some valid points to the initial thorough review.

This was our 3rd time on this 15-day Hawaii cruise and we'll do it again. The down time during the many sea days causes a total lack of connection with the real world and, seemingly, time itself.

Lastly, I'd like to add to the chorus of appreciation for the services of Joseph up in Crooners. He's got Martinis down flat - both in presentation and substance. We also turned in kudos on his behalf to management.

Nori & Hunter

You're welcome... Must have something to do with being a VIP - you were the big star of the juggler's show, now weren't you...? :D

You are correct... I was the big star that night and I did see large VIP letters on the paperwork on my 3rd daily fruit bowl which I also did not order. We had 3 bowls already in our room... I told the room service guy that the initials VIP meant "No more fruit".. :D

I've never received such personal attention--they knew exactly what I wanted before I even sat down, and Savio even remembered my card number so I wouldn't be inconvenienced by having to show it to him each day.

We had the same experience - even with the memorized card number. So I should know you - I was in there every nite too!

Our friend Brian added some valid points to the initial thorough review.

This was our 3rd time on this 15-day Hawaii cruise and we'll do it again. The down time during the many sea days causes a total lack of connection with the real world and, seemingly, time itself.

Thank you kind folks...so when are we booking the next Hawaiian journey?

Archived