What ship is best to take to bermuda out of NY or NJ

Ginna

I have never cruised before but my husband family just came back on the Norweigen Dawn for the first time and loved it. Next years Destination is bermuda and we are saving saving saving to go. I truly wanted to cruise on RC Voyager of the Seas, but they only have a 5 night cruise where my family wants a 7 day cruise. Does any one know of a fun ship for kids I have 2 ages will be 7 and 10. The voyager of the seas has a sony play station room, rock climbing wall, game room. Is there another boat like this that does 7 days cruise to bermuda.

You have hit the nail on the head with this one. NCL has two ships going to Bermuda most of the time one from NY(Crown) and one from MA(Majesty). RCCI has the Empress of the Seas from NJ. Celbrity has either or both the Zenith or Horizon going. These are all older smaller ships(they ain't small they just aren't the mega category) All are larger than WW II aircraft carriers. We have been on the Crown and the Zenith and will be on the Empress in three weeks....I loved the Crown but then again I had an owners suite with a balcony and no kids. There were tons of kids aboard and some loved it and some didn't. The Crown stops at all three ports in Bermuda, the Majesty just at St George. Zenith and Horizon move around between Hamilton and the Dockyards(I think not sure) and also have no balconies but a younger crowd?(not the one I was on but that is what THEY say). The Empress has 6 and 8 day cruises.The six day one spends most of its time at the dockyards... Also no balconies and I'll let you know what I think in a few weeks....oh by the way Radison and seven seas go there too but I can't afford those either :) I hope that was sone help

Hope you enjoy the Empress smeyer418!! She does have balconies, but not too many (we had one). We also sailed the Crown, in an owner's suite some years back...now that was the best!!....spoiled rotten :)

Ginna, we're not up on the kids programs...but the little ones paraded through the Empress dining room one evening, as pirates, and seemed to be having a wonderful time!

Unfortunately you are NOT wrong awatt! The Empress will not be cruising to Bermuda in 2005 :( I forgot Ginna's original request, and went on to clarify smeyer418 about Empress balconies. Guess RCI pulling the Empress off the Bermuda route for 2005 still has me bummed!

I think pulling Empress out has had an effect on other lines. Some of Celebrity's Zenith sailings are already sold out- ant did so very quickly. And prices for NCL Crown have increased beyond what I expected.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This past August we did a 5 day cruise on the Voyager to Canada. Though we enjoyed the cruise, 5 days just didn't seem enough time, so we've opted to go on the Zenith to Bermuda next summer.

I have had to prepare the kids (a little younger than yours) that there won't be an ice skating rink and minature golf, however, my kids love the shows and once in port, we'll stay on shore much of the time, so I'm guessing they won't miss it. But by the time we get back you'll also have returned.

It's not an easy call with kids, but we just think the 7 days will be better for us.

FYI -- Bermuda seems to be filled with lots of kid friendly activities even if the whether isn't good for the beach. We've heard good things about the zoo/aquarium and the cave, both of which are fairly inexpensive.

I'd go with the Zenith. And she moves between St. George and Hamilton. She does not go out to the dockyard. That alone is a big plus in my book.

Old Bag...

You are correct. There is plenty to do on the island. I think a Voyager class ship is great for the Caribbean but the Zenith is fine for the Bermuda runs.

We also opted for the Zenith for next summer. I wanted Voyager because we cruised on AOS this summer and everyone had a wonderful time. But 5 days is not enough, besides the voyager only goes to the Dockyard, it is to big for Hamilton or St George. :)

• 2 months later...
We sailed Zenith to Bermuda last October (very few kids at that time of the year, but one of the staff members told me there were loads of them in July and August.) Going back in April '05 - again on Zenith because I think Hamilton and St. Georges are the best places to be docked and for the most part, we liked the ship.

The only balconies on the NCL Crown are in Owner's Suites. If you can swing one, they are wonderful...nearly 700 sq. ft. of space, and the balcony is huge! Believe the Crown is docking in all 3 ports...nice! All the ships, aside from the VOS, sailing to Bermuda, are approx. the same size, but most do not have balconies. The Zenith is a comfortable ship.

Still hoping the RCCL Empress of the Sea will return to the Bermuda run in 2006!!...Cruise Gods, are you listening???

We're going on the Horizon to Bermuda in August, leaving out of Philadelphia. We chose it over the Zenith because they are in Hamilton on Wednesdays, which are Harbor Nights. You can get a taxi from St. George or go on an excursion from the ship, but I like being right there. I hear they are going to sell her after this summer. Bermuda is a beautiful place.

Golden Princess, 8/04
Horizon, 8/05

Yes Dolphins, in the 4 corners! Sorry I didn't mention them! Looks like they have the same size balcony as the owner's suites, just less interior cabin space. Check to be sure the 2 lower beds can be pushed together, if that is important to you.

[quote name='moai']If I may answer your question, Harbour Nights is sort of a street fair celebrated in Hamilton every Wednesday night in the summer.[/QUOTE]

[b]Harbor nights is great fun.. Food, music, local arts and crafts! After we finished walking around we just stood out on the ships deck crowd watching.[/b]

I have traveled to Bermuda on the Nordic and again after its refurbishing as the Empress and was very disappointed that it will no longer be going to Bermuda.:( We are trying the NCL Majesty this year as the other RCCL is only a 5 day which is too short for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking for help with a question.. and I know I am in the right place to get it!! wanting to take my Grandmother to Bermuda she is 91, but does very well for her age.. Which ships dock and not tender and which boat would be better for me to take her on to see Bermuda? thanks :)

Archived