dress code

I seriously always thought you had to dress formal on formal night. Now I can see why this thread has become a hot topic for discussion.

it really has, MerionMom is right. beating a dead horse. I should just stay out of these threads, and not even pay any attention. Lets just all get along and talk about what we love most. Cruising. ;)

What ship are you on to Hawaii?? I'm guessing its a Radiance Class.

Actually, we are not cruising to Hawaii. We are just heading to Maui for 10 days. My partner is not as much into cruising as I am, so we have to trade off once in a while. Not a bad trade though, since I love Hawaii. :D But he is really good about cruising when I want to as well. He already knows that we have to do Genesis class. He might not be looking forward to it, but he is going. lol.

There are a few airlines now that actually do have luggage restrictions, and now charge for any and all checked luggage, regardless of weight. I can' remember which ones, but there are a few.

Allegiant is one. Last time I flew with them in February, it was $4 per bag.

Just like you don't put a factory in a resort area or put formica tables in a fancy restaurant. If you rented a limo, would you want the chauffer wearing jeans? How about the waiters in the ship's dining room? Do you care what they wear either? Maybe they should be allowed to wear jeans too. Would you wear jeans to a formal wedding? Why not, its a weekend and you aren't the one getting married.. what's the difference?

Funny you should mention it, cause I use the same town car service whenever I use one, and many times they do dress down. But this is L.A. where music industry and film industry rule, so dressing down is the name of the game. When is the last time you saw someone wearing a tux to the Grammy Awards? Most of the people wearing tuxs' to the Grammy Awards ARE the drivers. And the 'patrons' dress down. Just like in a nice restaurant. I firmly believe that the wait staff should be dressed, but the patrons should wear what they are comfortable in. Its not the patrons attire that makes the atmosphere, its the establishment and the food. What the customers wear does not in the slightest detract from my dining experience. But if a waiter came over in ratty jeans and looked dirty, that would detract form my experience. We have already established that RCI does not have a "rule" or a dress "code" but a suggestion. Formal or not, it's not the attire that makes it formal. From my experience on cruises, even the casual nights are formal because of the atmosphere that Royal Caribbean has created with their decor in the dining rooms. So if someone wears jeans on casual nights, why is that any different that someone wearing jeans on any other night? Food is all the same.

p.s. If you look under those table clothes in those 'fancy restaurants' you speak of, you might just find formica tables.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

You ARE on vacation, but you are NOT at a beach resort; you are at a nice hotel with a nice restaurant. That's what a cruise ship is: a hotel on the water.

If the nice restaurant has linen tablecloths, nice silverware and dishes, 5 courses, waiters in dinner jackets, then DRESS APPROPRIATELY, please.

Yes, it does affect the overal ambiance of formal night to see people schlepping around in jeans and t-shirts. It's not going to put anyone off their feed, but it detracts from the overall nice restuarant, dressy night feel.

If your host suggests you wear a certain type of clothing, then in respect to your host and the other guests, wear them!!! Your nice host has even provided you with a different eating venue if you choose not to dress according to the the nice host's respectful request. Show respect back.

And, yes, teenagers need to be taught how to dress like dressed-up grown-ups, because someday they may end up in an environment that requires them to dress-up, and they will have a clue about what to do.

Funny you should mention it, cause I use the same town car service whenever I use one, and many times they do dress down. But this is L.A. where music industry and film industry rule, so dressing down is the name of the game. When is the last time you saw someone wearing a tux to the Grammy Awards? Most of the people wearing tuxs' to the Grammy Awards ARE the drivers. And the 'patrons' dress down. Just like in a nice restaurant. I firmly believe that the wait staff should be dressed, but the patrons should wear what they are comfortable in. Its not the patrons attire that makes the atmosphere, its the establishment and the food. What the customers wear does not in the slightest detract from my dining experience. But if a waiter came over in ratty jeans and looked dirty, that would detract form my experience. We have already established that RCI does not have a "rule" or a dress "code" but a suggestion. Formal or not, it's not the attire that makes it formal. From my experience on cruises, even the casual nights are formal because of the atmosphere that Royal Caribbean has created with their decor in the dining rooms. So if someone wears jeans on casual nights, why is that any different that someone wearing jeans on any other night? Food is all the same.

p.s. If you look under those table clothes in those 'fancy restaurants' you speak of, you might just find formica tables.

I just checked the RCCL website and no where does it say its a suggestion FITZ. Its specifically states the attire you need to wear on Formal night. I am getting really confused here. :confused: :confused:

:o I must admit I haven't watched the Grammy awards since I was in high school so I don't recall whether or not the majority of the performers wore tuxes and gowns.

And I probably should have said plastic chairs instead of formica tables, but if there were no tablecloths on the formica you have to admit that it would cheapen the atmosphere.

Personally I don't think jeans should be a problem on the casual nights.. I won't wear them because I find sundresses more comfortable, but I don't really care what others do the majority of the time. I guess I compare formal nights to weddings or a night at the opera... and while one or two people wearing jeans wouldn't matter, if everyone did then formal night would lose its meaning. JMHO ;)

Dinner attire...

Meals in the main dining room follow this schedule: con_bulletgray_ico.gif3-, 4- and 5-night cruises: one formal night; the remainder of nights are casualcon_bulletgray_ico.gif6-, 7- and 9-night cruises: two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder of nights casualcon_bulletgray_ico.gif10- to 13-night cruises: two formal nights, two smart casual and the remainder of nights casualcon_bulletgray_ico.gif14+-night cruises: three formal nights, four smart casual and the remainder of nights casual

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or pantsuit for women, jackets for men.

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

:o I must admit I haven't watched the Grammy awards since I was in high school so I don't recall whether or not the majority of the performers wore tuxes and gowns.

And I probably should have said plastic chairs instead of formica tables, but if there were no tablecloths on the formica you have to admit that it would cheapen the atmosphere.

Personally I don't think jeans should be a problem on the casual nights.. I won't wear them because I find sundresses more comfortable, but I don't really care what others do the majority of the time. I guess I compare formal nights to weddings or a night at the opera... and while one or two people wearing jeans wouldn't matter, if everyone did then formal night would lose its meaning. JMHO ;)

Since I was a child, I have been GOING to the Grammys. When I first started going, most people, including me, wore tuxes. But that was in the 80's. And now, most of the people, especially the performers, do not. But we digress as the grammys have nothing to do with cruising. :D

You ARE on vacation, but you are NOT at a beach resort; you are at a nice hotel with a nice restaurant. That's what a cruise ship is: a hotel on the water.

If the nice restaurant has linen tablecloths, nice silverware and dishes, 5 courses, waiters in dinner jackets, then DRESS APPROPRIATELY, please.

Yes, it does affect the overal ambiance of formal night to see people schlepping around in jeans and t-shirts. It's not going to put anyone off their feed, but it detracts from the overall nice restuarant, dressy night feel.

If your host suggests you wear a certain type of clothing, then in respect to your host and the other guests, wear them!!! Your nice host has even provided you with a different eating venue if you choose not to dress according to the the nice host's respectful request. Show respect back.

And, yes, teenagers need to be taught how to dress like dressed-up grown-ups, because someday they may end up in an environment that requires them to dress-up, and they will have a clue about what to do.

Thank you!!! I agree with you 100%.

I just checked the RCCL website and no where does it say its a suggestion FITZ. Its specifically states the attire you need to wear on Formal night. I am getting really confused here. :confused: :confused:

Go here. This is where it says suggested.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000PolWEsqaKyCBDOlVQUBDKXp:10ktmer4a?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

Since I was a child, I have been GOING to the Grammys. When I first started going, most people, including me, wore tuxes. But that was in the 80's. And now, most of the people, especially the performers, do not. But we digress as the grammys have nothing to do with cruising. :D

That would explain it then... I was in high school in the 80's :D

No offense, but I think you need to get out more. When I go to Hawaii, for example (I think it is a good comparison to cruising) I stay in 5 star resorts. And if you came in anything other than shorts or capris, or a sundress, you would be considered overdressed. Last time we were there, we ate at Spago at the Four Seasons, and that was extremely casual.

This is funny FitzLA! Get out more???!!! We just got back from our 3rd European cruise, and 20-something cruise. We do get out.

Hawaii IS beach resorts. Like I said, it's the venue.

So, if your friend was throwing a fancy dinner party, sent out invitations, and asked that you dress up, would you wear jeans and tees? That's my point: it's respect for your host and where you are.

At beach resorts the inside and outside blend together. A lot of them have al fresco dining rooms, too.

But, the cruise ship dining room is, by it's decor and staff, trying to present an upscale restaurant atmosphere.

It's just MO. You can have yours, but I think overly casual dress in ANY dressy dining venue is inappropriate.

We just returned from Celebrity. They stated clearly in their daily newsletter: no jeans. They allowed them on the first night, and I never saw an other pair in the dining room the rest of the 11 nights.

This is why I just simply don't think its that big of a deal. If the cruise line wants you dressed properly for formal night, then dress properly. Why try and get in the dining room wearing jeans, when they are asking for formal attire. It has nothing to do with living in the dark ages, or people still being stuck in the 50's. I'm 28 years old and was in no way brought up in any kind of old school manner. I'm wearing a suit on formal night because thats what the cruise line wants. Its as simple as that. These dining rooms on some of these cruise ships are gorgeous. Why would you not want to look good in that beautiful dining room?

Wow. They changed that. It used to give suggested attire for every night, but now only tells you what you will need for formal night. The casual nights now just say casual, without a suggestion. Makes more sense now, since they do allow jeans. Causal means casual. And they tell you no shorts, no t-shirts and no bathing suits. I like the wording much better now.

So for those of you asking, YES, you can wear jeans. Casual measn just that, casual.

OFF RCCL WEBSITE

What are the dress codes onboard? A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4 - night cruises include one formal night and the remainder nights are casual.

5 - night cruises include one formal and the remainder nights casual.

6 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder nights casual. 7 to 9 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights casual.

10 to 13-night cruises include two formal nights, two smart casual nights, and the remainder nights casual.

14+ - night cruises include three formal nights, four smart casual nights and the remainder nights casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Please note ice skating on our Voyager Family ships & Freedom of the Seas requires that all skaters wear long pants and socks for their own comfort and safety. Capris and long shorts are permitted. Learn more about it at royalcaribbean.com:

You are CORRECT! It says suggested on www.rccl.com Just put formal nights in RCCL search. This is what comes up

Dinner attire...

Meals in the main dining room follow this schedule: con_bulletgray_ico.gif3-, 4- and 5-night cruises: one formal night; the remainder of nights are casualcon_bulletgray_ico.gif6-, 7- and 9-night cruises: two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder of nights casualcon_bulletgray_ico.gif10- to 13-night cruises: two formal nights, two smart casual and the remainder of nights casualcon_bulletgray_ico.gif14+-night cruises: three formal nights, four smart casual and the remainder of nights casual

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or pantsuit for women, jackets for men.

This is also on the RCI website. RCI really needs to clarify this. No where here does it say its suggested.

My final thought.

For me personally, I don't wear jeans on formal night. As a matter of fact, I recently bought a new tux specifically for cruises. So I do dress as suggested. But that is just the thing. no where do they tell you that you have to. And on casual nights, no where does it say no jeans. And it has never been stated that you can't wear jeans. So yes, there are a few nights that I might wear them. Not on formal night, but on casual. Formal night has never been an issue for me. I actually enjoy it, and look forward to wearing my tux on my next cruise. And as far as casual nights, like I said, I might wear jeans once or twice, but in reality, it is just to hot in the Caribbean to wear jeans. And on our next cruise, I probably won't bring them. Much more comfortable to wear linen pants or khakis.

My point all along is that I don't care what other people wear. I do what I do, and wear a tux cause I enjoy it. But what someone else does is none of my business. Ever. And I will never judge. And it seems to me that there are way too many people on these boards who judge other based on appearance. And to me that complete and utter arrogance. The person next to me in jeans on formal night could end up being my best friend, and I would never judge them based on their attire, or lose the chance of not making a new friend just because they are in jeans. I guess I have more respect for human kind in general.

Archived