dress code

Just off the 5/6/07 ROS and on one evening a lady at our table wore shorts to dinner and this was not the first evening of the cruise. The last evening many were wearing jeans.

I am sailing her July 1st, and had heard they are very casual, laid back. I'm looking forward to some nice family photos before my son leaves for college next year, so will have to dress up anyway! Darn the luck....

Wow. They changed that. It used to give suggested attire for every night, but now only tells you what you will need for formal night. The casual nights now just say casual, without a suggestion. Makes more sense now, since they do allow jeans. Causal means casual. And they tell you no shorts, no t-shirts and no bathing suits. I like the wording much better now.

So for those of you asking, YES, you can wear jeans. Casual measn just that, casual.

Thanks, JJ2sail!

We have two 14 year old boys cruising with us (our son and a friend) and they'll both be in jeans the whole time. I'm not sure what we'll do for them on formal nights...I may let them go in jeans and if someone says something to them, they can go change into the cargo pants they are bringing as "back up". Their legs will be under the dining room table the whole time, so I'm sure no one will be bothered by what's on them.

My son doesn't own any shirts with a collar. He really feels uncomfortable in them. (We're a very casual family, which everyone can probably tell!) So he'll just wear one of his nicer t-shirts. I want the boys to enjoy the vacation, which includes feeling comfortable with what they are wearing.

Thanks again for the support, JJ2sail!!

Jen

Since your traveling with teen boys....they may not even want to go to the formal dining room...so maybe they will go eat at Windjammer and you and hubby can enjoy a formal leisurely dinner....at least once on every cruise our daughter wants to go eat pizza with new friends and do teen stuff....we usually let her go, nothing worse that a kid who isn't having fun...cruises are for everyone to have a good time... I would suggest that if they are going to the dining room you might consider a polo style shirt...at some point in life they will have to dress in something other than t-shirts.:o

Thank you Jim & Patti for your comment.

I think that a good rule is for everyone to take care of themselves and not be so concerned what everyone else is doing and thinking. Think of the great feeling you will have, and what a burden will be released.

Thanks, JJ2sail!

We have two 14 year old boys cruising with us (our son and a friend) and they'll both be in jeans the whole time. I'm not sure what we'll do for them on formal nights...I may let them go in jeans and if someone says something to them, they can go change into the cargo pants they are bringing as "back up". Their legs will be under the dining room table the whole time, so I'm sure no one will be bothered by what's on them.

My son doesn't own any shirts with a collar. He really feels uncomfortable in them. (We're a very casual family, which everyone can probably tell!) So he'll just wear one of his nicer t-shirts. I want the boys to enjoy the vacation, which includes feeling comfortable with what they are wearing.

Thanks again for the support, JJ2sail!!

Jen

How rude. :mad: Blatant disregard for the guidelines and yes, the other diners who actually understand what "formal night" means. Good way to teach the boys how to behave (and dress) out in the world! "Do what you want - nevermind anyone else."

Stick to the hot dog and pizza bar.

I agree with the previous poster Jen... Personally, I like to dress up. I work at home and it give me an excuse to wear something other than sweats and t-shirts. My husband, however, does not like to dress up. I do make him wear a shirt and tie for formal night, but on the other nights, he wears a nice pair of dress shorts and a polo shirt. He has never been turned away from the dining room for wearing shorts. Our last cruise this past week on the Grandeur, on a formal night, there was a young man who was dressed in a casual dress shirt, with jeans and flip flops... Did he look a little out of place? Of course he did, we all noticed him. Did he get turned away? No. We were seated right near the door and were able to everybody coming in and out. There were people wearing tuxes, but there were a lot of people in jeans or very casual attire. Some woman had on gowns, others had on pant suits or a blouse and skirt. What I choose to wear or not wear is my choice and if ruins somebody else vacation, then they have more problems to worry about!

Sorry but jeans and a t-shirt on FORMAL NIGHT in the dining room are just not appropriate. Would I say anything or really care? never. But if I saw them (teen boys dressed that way) I'd think they were losers or, at best, clueless. That's what all the cute 14-yr-old girls will think, too.

careful not to get chocolate on your jeans ;) :D

Or better yet, I hope I don't drop any in the holes in my jeans. :D

Ooooh! I LOVE Raisinets! I'll go get some. Be right back!

Thanks for the spelling, too! lol. I was thinking it looked wrong, but was too lazy to look it up. Let me know when you are back with them. They are great if you dump some in the popcorn.

I can't believe I got sucked into the vortex :o musta been a weak moment. I don't care much about the attire per se; but I guess it's a pet peeve when someone asks "what behaviors can we really get away with and to what extent can we ignore the rules and guidelines - it's our vacation after all". oopsie

Can I wear a formal gown in the Pool?

Can I wear jeans on backwards with a nice HAL T shirt for the

Captains Reception? Is'nt my old black Members Only jacket just like a Tux?

Do we have to wear pants? I have to wear pants everyday at my job and this is my vacation!!! won't some nice tattoos be just as good as pants?

Are shoes maddatory in the dining room or can I just wear sox?

how about bathing and deoderant? I have to shower and shave everyday for my job, this is my vacation should'nt i be able to go naked and stink?

after all these are just guidelines for other people.

Do we have to wear pants? I have to wear pants everyday at my job and this is my vacation!!! won't some nice tattoos be just as good as pants?

how about bathing and deoderant? I have to shower and shave everyday for my job, this is my vacation should'nt i be able to go naked and stink?

THAT was absolutely, positively the highlight of my whole, gosh dang day! THANK YOU! ROTFLMAO! :D Does anyone even have a Member's Only jacket anymore??

Very well said!

They call them Formal Nights for a reason even if it is only "suggested" attire.

Personally, I would like to see them go to open seating on formal nights and have one dining room formal only and enforce it at the entrances! Let the folks who don't want to dress up go to the other dining room.

Yeah! I know I am an old fuddy duddy but I still like to dress up for formal occasions from time to time. Last year on the Mariner I saw college kids in shorts and tee shirts in the dining room on formal nights.

We are going to Hell in a hand basket but at least I will be on the Mariner taking the scenic route through the western Caribbean in 2 weeks.

They call them Formal Nights for a reason even if it is only "suggested" attire.

Personally, I would like to see them go to open seating on formal nights and have one dining room formal only and enforce it at the entrances! Let the folks who don't want to dress up go to the other dining room.

Yeah! I know I am an old fuddy duddy but I still like to dress up for formal occasions from time to time. Last year on the Mariner I saw college kids in shorts and tee shirts in the dining room on formal nights.

We are going to Hell in a hand basket but at least I will be on the Mariner taking the scenic route through the western Caribbean in 2 weeks.

The good news is that it is no longer suggested. It says on their website, "for formal nights, you WILL need". No mention of suggested anymore. But it also doesn't give any guidelines for casual anymore. So casual means casual, but formal also MEANS formal now.

Archived