dress code

On formal nights, my husband (who does not even own suit jacket!) wears black dress pants and a long-sleeve button-down dress shirt with a tie. He looks really nice, though I wouldn't mind seeing him in a suit once in awhile! He does seem to fit in fine...not everyone wears a suit or a tux.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention....jeans really are just not the thing to wear in the dining room, on any night. However, my husband has several pairs of the Old Navy-type khaki cargo pants that he wears all the time, and he was content wearing those.

My husband wants me to ask........on formal nights can he get away with just a shirt and dressy trousers and are jeans and a 'nice' t-shirt ok for casual nights?

What do you mean by "get away with?" Are you asking how far from the stated dress code can you go before you're refused entry to the dining room? Or how out of place you may feel?

Unfortunately, there's no simple answer. Everyone's got a story about someone who was either turned away for not having a tie on formal night, or allowed in the dining room for dinner in jeans and flip-flops.

I think that most would agree that on formal nights, MOST of the people are dressed per the dress code. This doesn't mean tuxedos for men, but generally a dark jacket/pants and a dress shirt and tie. You don't need to spend $5K on Armani; you can get a perfectly serviceable outfit for under $200, and it's a good thing to have anyway....

Casual generally means long pants (not jeans) and a shirt with a collar. Again, MOST people follow the requested dress code.

Have fun!

We're a young couple too...

I know I'll probably get flamed for this (donning flame retardant gear now)...but it's my vacation. I look at the dress code as a recommendation or invitation to dress up...How I dress should have NO EFFECT whatsoever on whether anyone else enjoys their vacation. My husband plans to wear khakis and a nice shirt on formal night. I plan to go formal...but that's my choice because I'm a girlie-girl at heart. He will wear jeans every other night.

I think the term "frowned upon" deserves a kind of "so what" response. You can frown at my husband all you want, but he works very hard during the week and doesn't want to wear a noose around his neck on vacation. If he wore something distracting, like a tank top and shorts, I MIGHT be able to see how it would bother people...(actually...I don't...I don't care WHAT other people wear.)

I know people will say "you knew the dress code before you booked"...yes, but I still view it as a guideline or recommendation...not an edict. We've only cruised once before and no one said a word to him when he did not wear a suit and tie or wore jeans. My feeling is that what I wear should not matter one bit to anyone else. It doesn't effect you.

Okay...I'm climbing off my soapbox now. I just wanted to say to the original poster...your husband isn't alone...others won't be dressing to the nines either...Don't let people make your hubby feel bad about how he's choosing to dress. He'll be fine.

I'm by no means an expert...but the more I think about this, the angrier it makes me when people say they will "frown upon" someone who chooses to dress differently.

Jen

We're a young couple too...

I know I'll probably get flamed for this (donning flame retardant gear now)...but it's my vacation. I look at the dress code as a recommendation or invitation to dress up...How I dress should have NO EFFECT whatsoever on whether anyone else enjoys their vacation. My husband plans to wear khakis and a nice shirt on formal night. I plan to go formal...but that's my choice because I'm a girlie-girl at heart. He will wear jeans every other night.

I think the term "frowned upon" deserves a kind of "so what" response. You can frown at my husband all you want, but he works very hard during the week and doesn't want to wear a noose around his neck on vacation. If he wore something distracting, like a tank top and shorts, I MIGHT be able to see how it would bother people...(actually...I don't...I don't care WHAT other people wear.)

I know people will say "you knew the dress code before you booked"...yes, but I still view it as a guideline or recommendation...not an edict. We've only cruised once before and no one said a word to him when he did not wear a suit and tie or wore jeans. My feeling is that what I wear should not matter one bit to anyone else. It doesn't effect you.

Okay...I'm climbing off my soapbox now. I just wanted to say to the original poster...your husband isn't alone...others won't be dressing to the nines either...Don't let people make your hubby feel bad about how he's choosing to dress. He'll be fine.

I'm by no means an expert...but the more I think about this, the angrier it makes me when people say they will "frown upon" someone who chooses to dress differently.

Jen

Actually Jen, I think you said that quite well!

We are a 40's couple, and my Husband and teenage boys wear Jeans alot also, they do dress up for formal night, but I think cruising has changed alot over the years, and RC is definately reflecting that, by "Suggested attire" not strict dress codes. People who are bothered by what other people wear should probably find a more formal cruise line. IMHO!

My husband owns a very nice black dinner jacket.........that paired with a nice pair of dress slacks and a collarless shirt or crew neck sweater is what he wears on formal nights. No tie for him. He has never been refused entry into any dining room.......even on Celebrity.

On casual nights it's dockers and a button down shirt

As far as jeans in the dining room..........on Country Western and 50's & 60's Rock-N-Roll themed nights........they are acceptable.

We were quite surprised on our most recent PC cruise on Radiance, that formal night is more smart casual than formal. I do believe it all depends on the itinerary and where you are sailing............. and what part of the world.

It is not a "dress code"........but rather "suggested attire" for the evening.

We are a 40's couple, and my Husband and teenage boys wear Jeans alot also, they do dress up for formal night, but I think cruising has changed alot over the years, and RC is definately reflecting that, by "Suggested attire" not strict dress codes. People who are bothered by what other people wear should probably find a more formal cruise line. IMHO!

Very well said..............

Thanks, JJ2sail!

We have two 14 year old boys cruising with us (our son and a friend) and they'll both be in jeans the whole time. I'm not sure what we'll do for them on formal nights...I may let them go in jeans and if someone says something to them, they can go change into the cargo pants they are bringing as "back up". Their legs will be under the dining room table the whole time, so I'm sure no one will be bothered by what's on them.

My son doesn't own any shirts with a collar. He really feels uncomfortable in them. (We're a very casual family, which everyone can probably tell!) So he'll just wear one of his nicer t-shirts. I want the boys to enjoy the vacation, which includes feeling comfortable with what they are wearing.

Thanks again for the support, JJ2sail!!

Jen

It is not a "dress code"........but rather "suggested attire" for the evening.

Good point, cruisenfever...

I went back to the RCCL website and read it again....It definitely states that the dress suggestions are just "suggested guidelines"...that is NOT a dress code.

I think that's your answer, katcrol...It's just a suggestion...not a mandate.

Jen

I've seen business casual dress on formal nights, so I think that it's doable. I would suggest bringing a jacket just in case. I would probably stay away from jeans though. Does he have a pair of comfy cargo pants or Dockers or something? That and a short sleeve would be ideal for casual night.

-Rich

hi, thanks for all the confusing advice. He went out and bought some trousers that are slightly more dressy than jeans, and said a shirt and dressy trousers will do on formal nights, no jacket or tie. He said he's well mannered, so surely thats what counts and that he wont be walking about with rips in his trousers. thanks to all.

YES YES YES!!! He can wear jeans. Some of these people are just stuck in the dark ages. On casual nights, I saw more men wearing jeans than not. We were a table of 12, and on most casual nights, everyone at our table wore jeans, and a few even wore t-shirts. I, however, would not wear the t-shirt. But he will not be kicked out for it. NO WHERE in the RCI rules does it say jeans are not allowed. And even in the compass each night, it says no shorts or bare feet or tank tops. Seriously, you ask any crew member on the ship and they will tell you that jeans are allowed. I am so sick of other people pushing their morals on everyone else. No everyone is still living in the old days. Times have changed. And jeans are totally acceptable in the dining room.

My husband feels the same as yours. All week he is mandated by pressed shirt and tie. I like to dress since I am no longer out in the pay for $$ work category. However, my husband does wear slacks, tie and coat on formal nights. Usually changes after dinner (looses the coat and tie).

If your husband is totally against it, there is alternative dining in the Windjammer. Long pants rather than shorts in the evening is preferred.

I see alot of diversity on each cruise. I think overall "neat and clean" not torn and worn and you should be fine.

My husband feels the same as yours. All week he is mandated by pressed shirt and tie. I like to dress since I am no longer out in the pay for $$ work category. However, my husband does wear slacks, tie and coat on formal nights. Usually changes after dinner (looses the coat and tie).

If your husband is totally against it, there is alternative dining in the Windjammer. Long pants rather than shorts in the evening is preferred.

I see alot of diversity on each cruise. I think overall "neat and clean" not torn and worn and you should be fine.

Now that's a statement I must remember.............very appropriate.:)

I'm grateful I am able to get my DH on his first cruise, nevermind getting him in a tux. We'll have dinner in our JS or at the Windjammer on formal nights and it won't be an issue.

DH had enough of black tie affairs when he was a Navy Lt and has no desire to do so on a cruise and it doesn't matter to me one way or another. I have done formal night with my daughter and frankly, it's less packing for me.

To each his/her own and everyone should enjoy their cruise!

No one will go hungry if he doesn't want to adhere to "formal dress" on formal night. There are other places to eat besides the main dining room. Only the main dining room has "formal night".

Not on our PC cruise last month and our b2b last fall. Formal Night in the DR had a mixture of everything from very formal, to somewhat formal, to smart casual to casual to really casual.

With the luggage restrictions on weight......I think people are just not packing all the fancy stuff anymore.

Whoops......should have phrased that weight restrictions on luggage!!;)

I'm getting craftier and craftier packing every cruise. Pretty soon I'll have all four of us down to a carry-on apiece!!:D

There's a LUGGAGE RESTRICTION????:eek: :eek: :D

Whoops......should have phrased that weight restrictions on luggage!!;)

There are a few airlines now that actually do have luggage restrictions, and now charge for any and all checked luggage, regardless of weight. I can' remember which ones, but there are a few.

There are a few airlines now that actually do have luggage restrictions, and now charge for any and all checked luggage, regardless of weight. I can' remember which ones, but there are a few.

So glad I'm driving to the port then!:D

Archived