dress code

How does it affect you if I choose to dress differently??? Does my husband wearing jeans affect the "taste" of your lobster? How preposterous...how self-important....to assume that the way I dress should in any way reflect on you...

Jen

What you just said is that you are more important then me!

The issue here is that many cruisers really enjoy the formal nights and choose to participate by wearing formal attire.

You have every right to not participate in wearing formal attire on formal nights. All I ask is that you not participate fully by staying out of the dining room.

My right to enjoy a formal meal is just as important as you right to dress informally.

No, they don't. They merely state "Suggested". Suggested is just that. A suggestion. I could suggest that you jump off a cliff, but it does not mean you have to do it.

And my point was, if you read, that a cruise is not just for those who want to dress formal. We have actually come a long was since the 50's. So to say that those who don't want to dress formal should find an alternate vacation is just arrogant.

READ the RCI Web Page ....Show me where it says "SUGGESTED". I'll even include the link for you......

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000HPZhX-rItqMSt5oky9AUhXz:10ktdmqkf

I asked my wife to start the previous thread about dress code and now heres my conclusion on it.

I'll wear my jeans on casual nights if i like, my suit once or twice, shirt/ dressy trousers two or three times on formal nights, and in between on informal nights.

I paid for my tickets, there are no strict laws for dress code, so who doesnt like it should start their own cruise line business with their laws, or hey!......just stay at home next time.

thanks to all those who posted intelligent points on this matter.

Didnt see your other thread, I usually avoid threads on dress codes, who cares? sorry.

btw Iv worn jeans, black ones or light blue, cant remember which ones I took with me on my first cruise into the dining room on non formal night and Im female.

I asked my wife to start the previous thread about dress code and now heres my conclusion on it.

I'll wear my jeans on casual nights if i like, my suit once or twice, shirt/ dressy trousers two or three times on formal nights, and in between on informal nights.

I paid for my tickets, there are no strict laws for dress code, so who doesnt like it should start their own cruise line business with their laws, or hey!......just stay at home next time.

You're certainly free to wear what you want, within certain broad health related guidelines, as the dress codes are suggestions not regulations. Many people, however, feel that having good manners and respect for your host dictate that you dress according to their desires. If you don't care about things like that, have at it, it won't ruin my vacation.

Simply put, we choose to follow the suggested dress code out of respect for the ship's guidelines and the atmosphere they are wanting to offer their dining room guests. My husband and I believe that teaching that respect to our teenage daughters is very important for their upbringing and one way to teach them how to handle themselves as respectful young ladies in society. Others notice when they dress up for occasions where a nicer attire is suggested...and it makes my girls feel so good to get noticed like that!!!

It personally doesn't bother me if others choose to wear jeans when I am wearing a cocktail dress and out of respect for them, I would never show judgement or "frown upon" them.

Also, telling others it's "your vacation" and/or how much you spent for it as a reason to ignore those suggestions by the ship implies a great deal of superiority and is simply rude and inconsiderate.

Fitz I don't think its the clothing per se that people judge on this issue... its not a rich/poor thing or a dressy/casual thing, I agree that would be snobbish. It is more of a sense of entitlement that puts people off. Like the previous poster said, it sends a message that I will do what I want. Now don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for nonconformity, and I have been known to push the fashion envelope with work because I am often the first to try a new look. However, I am not in a place where people are choosing to be for the atmosphere. I agree with the poster who says why wouldn't someone WANT to look nice in a formal setting?

And I am glad you own a tux, we are thinking of going that route for DH as well.

There are two sides to the "tracks"...the side where one finds those who follow the prescribed manners established by hosts and the other side where one finds folks who are either unaware of the prescribed manners or think manners are unimportant. This thread speaks volumes. I dress by the suggested code to honor my host and the other passengers.

Exactly who appointed you to be the manners police???

How does it affect you if I choose to dress differently??? Does my husband wearing jeans affect the "taste" of your lobster? How preposterous...how self-important....to assume that the way I dress should in any way reflect on you...

My husband is a physician...over 13 years of higher education...how dare anyone suggest we are doing a poor job in teaching our boys how to behave....I'm raising a son with impeccable grades, manners, and behavior.

When on a job interview, yes, dress is of the utmost importance. When on vacation...one should ENJOY the experience...which includes dressing in a manner in which one feels comfortable.

I won't apologize for our choice of dress WHEN ON VACATION. If you're uncomfortable with it, my only advice is for you to get a life.

Jen

AND to add to this, I was unaware that manners and behavior had anything to do with the way someone was dressed. I have seen many snooty, know it alls, that treat people with such disrespect, and have mouths that match their actions and, WOW, they were in suits. ....go figure!

My family will be in formal attire for the formal nights. We enjoy dressing up from time to time.

All I ask of those who do not enjoy dressing in formal attire on formal nights is that they dine somewhere other than the formal dining room and respect our right to dine with others who enjoy formal attire.

Trainman-2

I would bet you will not be in what is properly defined as "formal attire". That consists of white tie and cutaway or "tails". If you are considering wearing a tuxedo, any good Saville Row tailor will tell you that what you are wearing is classed as informal. A suit or morning suit is considered casual.

So much for the mighty.

Warning - The opinions of the author should not be taken too seriously.

Yes, it does affect the overal ambiance of formal night to see people schlepping around in jeans and t-shirts. It's not going to put anyone off their feed, but it detracts from the overall nice restuarant, dressy night feel.

If your host suggests you wear a certain type of clothing, then in respect to your host and the other guests, wear them!!! Your nice host has even provided you with a different eating venue if you choose not to dress according to the the nice host's respectful request. Show respect back.

And, yes, teenagers need to be taught how to dress like dressed-up grown-ups, because someday they may end up in an environment that requires them to dress-up, and they will have a clue about what to do.

1. This was not a invitation from a "host". This is a vacation I paid for...not a party to which I was invited.

2. Your feeling that it detracts from your evening is YOUR OPINION. It would detract from my evening to know my dh and son were dressed uncomfortably and miserable throughout the meal. AND they have just as much of a right to eat in the main dining room as you do.

3. You assume because my son isn't dressing up for vacation that he doesn't know how to dress up. He does know how to dress up and has had to do so for funerals, weddings, etc. However, this is vacation.

Dressing formally adds to the enjoyment of the vacation for you. I would never deny you have a right to dress that way or complain that you do. Heck, I'm dressing up! But you have no right to dictate how members of my table dress. Are you going to look under the table at my husband's bottom half to see how he's dressed?

This is silly, but I cannot help but respond. I do not deal well with people who insist that we "go along with the crowd" to make others feel better.

Jen

This is why I just simply don't think its that big of a deal. If the cruise line wants you dressed properly for formal night, then dress properly. Why try and get in the dining room wearing jeans, when they are asking for formal attire. It has nothing to do with living in the dark ages, or people still being stuck in the 50's. I'm 28 years old and was in no way brought up in any kind of old school manner. I'm wearing a suit on formal night because thats what the cruise line wants. Its as simple as that. These dining rooms on some of these cruise ships are gorgeous. Why would you not want to look good in that beautiful dining room?

Because some people are uncomfortable in formal attire, yet have the same rights to eat in the main dining room as everyone else!

It's what the cruise line suggests, but since I am the paying customer, I will wear what I want.

Jen

What you just said is that you are more important then me!

The issue here is that many cruisers really enjoy the formal nights and choose to participate by wearing formal attire.

You have every right to not participate in wearing formal attire on formal nights. All I ask is that you not participate fully by staying out of the dining room.

My right to enjoy a formal meal is just as important as you right to dress informally.

My right to eat in the main dining room is just as important as yours. I have a RIGHT to dress in a manner in which I feel comfortable.

How many times can I say it? How I dress should have no bearing on your enjoyment of the evening! You will still be dressed formally and have your formal meal.

If it makes you feel any better, we always request a small table for just our party as we prefer eating with just our group. So unless you're doing a check under the table, my dh and son wearing jeans will not be seen beyond the short walk to the table.

Jen

I prefer to follow the suggested dress code for the same reasons cited above by previous posters.

If there was only 1 food venue on the ship, I would feel differently, but with the many options to eat available for those who choose to dress outside the guidelines (i.e. windjammer, room service, and on some ships Johnny Rocket's, Cafe Promenade and Chops/Portafino), I find it disrespectful to other guests to not follow the suggested dress code for the main dining room.

Incidentally, I was on the Explorer earlier this month, and happened to be seated at a table next to the captains table. On our 5 night cruise, the captains table was only used once during our sitting.

On the same night (which by the way was not formal night), there was a younger gentleman at a table also next to the captains table wearing jeans, a tshirt and a baseball cap that remained on his head throughout the meal.

As our table took notice of this, and had a debate on the subject, which resulted in this conclusion- yes, the hat is clearly inappropriate during dinner 99% of the time, but there may be a medical reason that we don't know about.

For those of you who missed it, here is the OP's final say on this matter:

As always, if you feel you didn't get enough of this discussion, stick around. It's certain to reappear within 7 to 10 days. Carol, get your animation ready.

This thread is closed.

Archived