America's Cup Regatta- have you been?

I was interested in booking the excursion in St Maarten, but would like some info. for some of you who have already been on it. My husband would like to participate as "crew" but I would prefer just to "enjoy the ride". Is that possible, or do you have to participate as crew to go? Any input would be helpful-thanks

We did the America's Cup Regatta in St. Maarten a couple years ago & it was awesome. You can participate in light, moderate or heavy activity - or you can just sit back & relax. They ask you at the start what level you want to participate. It's a blast whatever you do - enjoy :)

I was a winch wench, lots of work, but I had a blast. You can sit and relax or get involved, SSOOOOOOOOO much fun.We did this excursion many years ago and it is still one of all time favorites.

I was interested in booking the excursion in St Maarten, but would like some info. for some of you who have already been on it. My husband would like to participate as "crew" but I would prefer just to "enjoy the ride". Is that possible, or do you have to participate as crew to go? Any input would be helpful-thanks

Karlee106

We've done it 3 times. Its always a very good day. You can opt out of the crewing while your husband participates at the level he is comfortable with. Go for it, you'll enjoy it.

It's a blast! DH was a grinder and I was a winch wench. Not really too much work, IMHO. We also had a bartender, iceberg watcher and timekeeper, none of which required strenuous work. And it was only about 2 hours without a loo, so that wasn't too bad, either.

Do it! It's the best ship-sponsored excursion I've been on!

I was also a winch wench and my DH was a grinder. What a great time we had! Check out my photos for some pictures. One suggestion: when you go, put your address label on a disposable camera (to ID it) and give it to someone on the opposing boat to take pictures of your boat. I have GREAT pictures of True North, but none of Stars and Stripes, the winning boat that we crewed! Yes, the boat will need a time-keeper, a bar keeper, and maybe a cheerleader!

We have done this excursion 4 times, and have been at just about every position on the Boat. This is definately one of the best excursions going. When you are at the pier prior to he sailing, Captains & Teams are picked. Make sure you tell them you come with XX number of people, if you want to be on the same boat. The best trip we had allowed us a boat of our own (17 people we traveled with). The Excursion takes a great action photo for you to purchase after the race. I highly recommend purchasing one. There are some great regatta shirts available as well. have a great time

We did the regatta and my husband was the main grinder. Lazy girl that I am, I was only the bartender. They gave my son the role of "Captain's mate" and let him steer for a while. Definitely a fun experience for a kid. I would certainly recommend this excursion.

Thanks....it'll definately be on my list to do, and the bathroom advice is good to know ahead of time! Should I book now? We're on the Liberty 7/21 sailing. CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Definitely book now, as there is limited availability and you don't want to miss out.

We're booked for this excursion in July. Do you think that it's chilly with all that wind? I am easily chilled so I was thinking of wearing capri's and bringing a windbreaker. What about footwear? I was thinking of wearing my Teva's. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

We're booked for this excursion in July. Do you think that it's chilly with all that wind? I am easily chilled so I was thinking of wearing capri's and bringing a windbreaker. What about footwear? I was thinking of wearing my Teva's. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

July will be hot! I wouldn't worry at all about the chill of the wind even if you should get wet. Non-slip footwear is what you need. I am ignorant about Teva's, but they may be perfect.

Is there a restroom available before we board?

There is a shopping area just before you get on the boats but you are better off going on the ship. Bring lots of suntan lotion if you burn easily. You will be away from bathrooms for about 3 hours or so.

No bathroom that I saw - it's a short walk (5 minutes) from the ship's pier to the boat that takes you out to the yachts, and I didn't notice a rest room along the way.

And yes, book it now. You can always cancel up to 24 hours in advance, and why risk it not being available? Ironically, on our cruise in December, they doubled us (Jewel) up with the Empress' group as neither ship had enough people to do it on their own.

Not that you haven't heard this already, but my husband and I did this excursion 10 years ago, on our honeymoon. It's the one excursion we still remember and talk about fondly. We still have the pictures they took framed in our living room. Have a great time!

Archived