Help Needed With Camera

tap & dap

My wife's canon DC20 froze on her and canon tells her that she needs to hit the reset button and use the power cord to reset the camera.

The problem is we only brought batteries and a charger for them and not the cord.

We board the Island Princess tomorrow and are at the Mt. McKinley lodge now does anyone know of a place in Whittier that may have a camera store? Or perhaps the ship itself may have something? There is nothing around the lodge here and we go direct to the ship tomorrow.

We have 2 days at sea to the glassiers and wanted to DVD them. Any information you could give us would be helpful.

Thanks

Tom and Diana

Once on board the ship, check with the photography department to see if they use Canon products. If they do, ask if you can use their cord to plug in your camera in order to re-set it. Or look around and see if other passengers have a Canon camera similar to the one your wife has.

Usually when they say use the power cord to reset it is in case the camera's battery dies during the reset procedure. There is a set procedure and they want to make sure the camera goes through it without a power failure.

Did they explain why you needed the power cord? Without this info it's hard to understand why they said this. If this is the case then you could perform this reset, just make sure the battery is fully charged.

Just a shot, while the camera is on, take out the batteries. If your camera has a small "back-up" battery for settings, remove this also. After about ten minutes reinstall all the batteries and try again, best guess here.

I have a Canon DC100 and understand your problem. You need a power cord to do many functions. Don't know why, but you cannot even finalize a disc with out it. I suggest if you have a local best buy or circuit city you buy one before leaving.

I have a Canon DC100 and understand your problem. You need a power cord to do many functions. Don't know why, but you cannot even finalize a disc with out it. I suggest if you have a local best buy or circuit city you buy one before leaving.

That makes sense, if you were finalising your disc and the battery died you could lose all the info in that disc. And there are other similar things that would cause big problems should this happen (such as resetting your camera). Usually it's no more than a reminder, didn't know they would actually prevent it from happening.

Just a shot, while the camera is on, take out the batteries. If your camera has a small "back-up" battery for settings, remove this also. After about ten minutes reinstall all the batteries and try again, best guess here.
Warning !!!

My Canon camera has a note in the manual that says if you pull batteries live you may lose data saved on your memory card. (I have a PowerShot S410).

The procedure is always to remove the memory first, then the batteries to avoid the effects of power spikes on insertion/removal.

My Canon camera has a note in the manual that says if you pull batteries live you may lose data saved on your memory card. (I have a PowerShot S410).

The procedure is always to remove the memory first, then the batteries to avoid the effects of power spikes on insertion/removal.

Would you rather POSSIBLY loose info or have a one pound doorstop while on a cruise?

By the way, iPod sometimes requires a seperate "plug in the wall" power cord to reset.

Archived