Ok, like I said before.........

firefly...

re-read my post... the "idiots" I refer to are people who are applying for passports to cruise this year who don't really need one...

Count me as an idiot. I followed RCCL's advice (passport is best in case you have to fly home for some reason) and applied well ahead of the State Departments timelines. Two weeks to go and still no passport for my daughter. Thanks to crusinmama's helpful post, I got through and the application has now been flagged for "expedite". We shall see...

My fingers are crossed for you too!

Thank YOU......Just got a call from my Congresswoman's office...she had a fed ex tracking #... for me.. best news I have had in a while...not leaving my front porch tomorrow till it is in my hand...

we leave @ 6 am Flight.. Friday

When do you suggest we "idiots" get our passports then? If we wait til next year, we will be told we procrastinated and it is our own faults if they are delayed. I chose to be prepared. I chose to apply in January and I have my passport. I will use this on my June cruise. "Idiots" like me are prepared for the upcoming requirements.

^5 (high five) from a fellow "idiot"! My S/O and I applied for our passports 18 weeks in advance of our September 2nd cruise. At the 3 week mark last weekend, I checked online and our status was "processing" even though the website said it was currently taking 5 weeks for tracking to be available online- doesnt sound "clogged" to me.

If anyone is "clogging" the system, its the procrastinators who waited until the last minute to apply for a passport. Suck it up and pay the expedite fee!

Although we do not technically NEED them to cruise this year, I wanted to make sure we had them in case of emergency. And, since we already have them, it wont be an issue next year when it becomes a requirement!

Sorry, I used quotes because I don't think those people are idiots. But I know some think so. If anything, the people waiting are better described as "idiots" as opposed to those who planned ahead. This whole passport thing came up suddenly and I feel bad for people who are in a time crunch or who have to pay extra for expiditing.

And I'm sorry if my two passports are causing a backlog. When is ok for me to get my passports? Fourteen weeks before cruising? Even that isn't early enough for some people. I didn't want to worry about it at all so I went early. Thank goodness for these boards. Without them many of us wouldn't know this info. And without them many of us wouldn't know what to do, who to call.

Maybe I've got my facts wrong, but hasn't this passport requirement been several years coming with plenty of publicity? If anything, the requirement was delayed several times, giving people even more time to get them. I don't see that it came up "suddenly," I think people just didn't believe this deadline would stick and so many of them waited too late to apply. I can understand it, as I didn't really believe that they'd hold to this requirement either, but since I already have a passport, I didn't pay too much attention to the whole controversy.

Maybe I've got my facts wrong, but hasn't this passport requirement been several years coming with plenty of publicity? If anything, the requirement was delayed several times, giving people even more time to get them.

It also gave the State Department plenty of time to gear up for the predicted crush of applications. They did nothing but extend delivery time to ten weeks and now twelve weeks.

If the allies had fought WWII like we're fighting the War on Terror we would all be speaking German and Japanese right now.

It also gave the State Department plenty of time to gear up for the predicted crush of applications. They did nothing but extend delivery time to ten weeks and now twelve weeks.

If the allies had fought WWII like we're fighting the War on Terror we would all be speaking German and Japanese right now.

Apparently even longer than that for some, according to some recent threads. I do feel for these folks!

I don't think that the people who applied this year when they don't need the passport until next year are clogging the system - unless they lied on the form about their departure date. (Emphasis added) From what I've read, the passport office is prioritizing the applications by the date of travel. If anyone is clogging the system, I suspect it is the very late applicants who are paying expediters to get their documents through the system a week or two out from their trips. I'd guess that those are the ones throwing a monkey-wrench into the scheduling. But it's just a guess!

In any event, I think it's just smart to apply as soon as you think you might need the passport. Why set yourself up for a nervous breakdown?

Happy cruising,

Susan

Agree, agree!

I don't see that it came up "suddenly,"

What I meant by "came up suddenly" was the long delays. And especially people who are being quoted something and it's actually several weeks longer. I never heard anything about the delay except for here. I have a friend who does need a passport for her baby who is being born today. I had to let her know that she'll need to get on that passport as soon as the baby is born.

What I meant by "came up suddenly" was the long delays. And especially people who are being quoted something and it's actually several weeks longer. I never heard anything about the delay except for here. I have a friend who does need a passport for her baby who is being born today. I had to let her know that she'll need to get on that passport as soon as the baby is born.

Oh, gotcha.

When I read the posts about how long it was taking to get a passport I talked dh into renewing his ahead of time. Well, I mailed it May 7th and we got it back today! That is just a little more than 2 wks. I am in shock! We mailed it certified so I knew when they received it but I never thought it would come back so soon. I guess there is just no way to figure out why the system really works for some and not all. Good luck to those of you still waiting and maybe this is a sign that things are starting to turn for the better.

Don't forget the pressure put on by cruise lines, Caribbean Islands and others.

I agree with you, the timeline changes have been ridiculous, it all started because of September 11. The requirement should have been mandatory within a couple years of that incident. There is no reason the goverment has to cave in to the wishes of special interest groups when it comes to the security of our nation.

I get so weary of wishy washy government decisions. Make a rule or law and stick to it.

The cruiselines and islands have lobbied so much that congress etc. caved. There is NO reason that we shouldn't be required to have passports to re-enter this country. To go to Europe as an example, a passport has been necessary for many years. I don't understand our own mentality at times.

US citizens have had to know that it would be necessary to get passports and that as with most government things, there wouldn't be enough people to handle the surge of applications. It would have made sense to apply early. Sorry, but I don't think people who planned and got their passports or are waiting are idiots and are clogging the system. It seems to me if there are anyone that should be called an idiot, it's the procrastinator.

My son's passport arrived 24th and mine arrived yesterday, 25th. Almost set to go :D . Gotta finalize transport from Gatwick to hotel, select last of excursions, and start packing. Oh, and shop for next booking. :cool:

My son's passport arrived 24th and mine arrived yesterday, 25th. Almost set to go :D . Gotta finalize transport from Gatwick to hotel, select last of excursions, and start packing. Oh, and shop for next booking. :cool:

Yeah!! Glad you got your passports!! Have fun!!!:) :)

Better hope that when it does arrive, that it's correct. My sister's BF got his last week and his last name was spelled wrong!

Part of the problem here is all the idiots who are applying for passports to cruise this year who really don't need one.

Would idiot apply to your sister's boyfriend? I would think it would be more idiotic to wait until next year when all cruisers will need them.

The cruiselines and islands have lobbied so much that congress etc. caved. There is NO reason that we shouldn't be required to have passports to re-enter this country. To go to Europe as an example, a passport has been necessary for many years. I don't understand our own mentality at times.

US citizens have had to know that it would be necessary to get passports and that as with most government things, there wouldn't be enough people to handle the surge of applications. It would have made sense to apply early. Sorry, but I don't think people who planned and got their passports or are waiting are idiots and are clogging the system. It seems to me if there are anyone that should be called an idiot, it's the procrastinator.

My thoughts exactly---maybe not as "strongly" worded as yours. After Sept. 11, the government should have held firm. The people that didn't have passports and thought they would be travelling, should have been proactive rather than reactive. There was no "down side" to being ahead of the game and line!

Geez Mediator, I guess that's why I wasn't invited to the Liberty party!! I guess I just post things how I feel. I don't mean to be strongly worded, but maybe that's just how I am.

Nice to know you agree though.

Katie

Geez Mediator, I guess that's why I wasn't invited to the Liberty party!! I guess I just post things how I feel. I don't mean to be strongly worded, but maybe that's just how I am.

Nice to know you agree though.

Katie

I don't think mediator realized the "idiots" wasn't yours. I would have invited you to the Liberty party:p

I don't think mediator realized the "idiots" wasn't yours. I would have invited you to the Liberty party:p

Thanks Mema. I feel redeemed. Maybe if I just become a sweet poster instead of disagreeing with some people, I will get invited to the Independence one.

I can dream anyway, lol.

Katie:)

Hey RCCL idiots! I'm an NCLA idiot!

But guess what? I have a passport. :D :D :D :D :D So I can go where I want when I want. If that makes me an idiot... well, I'll be a well-traveled idiot.

I applied in February and got it at the end of April.

So sorry to those who waited to apply KNOWING they were going somewhere they needed a passport!

You snooze, you lose. (This applies to the OP who called people who plan ahead idiots....)

I think we agree... and I have a strong opinion and voice it as well. I;m not sure who used the "I" word , and my message was simply I agree , and I have no sympathy for procrastinators who chose to put it off based on our government. Like the government is fool proof. As I new poster, I simply held back abit.

Sorry you were not invited to the party... What did you do????

One of the proactive things that we every did was when we started cruising, our baby was 2, now he is 23 and we made the investment in passports. We felt that if you are leaving the country, it probably is a good thing to have, while not required. I will admit that it is expensive, and we still pay for our adult sons renewal. Seems to me there used to be a family price.

If I may jump in here again.

Citizens were never supposed to wait until they NEEDED a passport to get a passport. Citizens should get passports when they realize that at some unknown point in the future they will need one.

If you wait till you need one to get one... you've waited too long.

In my case, I dont' need a passport to cruise Hawaii. But, NCLA and American Express Vacations both recommended getting a passport *just in case* god knows what happens... like a tsunami hits Hawaii and all the ports are closed and so we get diverted to Tahiti and have to fly home from there.

A decade ago that may have sounded preposterous. But in the last few years of terrorism, natural disasters, etc... a situation such as that is no longer out of the possibility.

If I may jump in here again.

Citizens were never supposed to wait until they NEEDED a passport to get a passport. Citizens should get passports when they realize that at some unknown point in the future they will need one.

If you wait till you need one to get one... you've waited too long.

Maybe it is me, but this does not make sense!! If i hadn't decided to start cruising, and if my trip to Paris had never happened, I would not be getting a passport because i just knew that I would never travel overseas! When you don't like to fly and never plan to be out of the country, why get a passport?? Now, I DID discover cruising, the laws are changing, and the dad of my daughter's friend got a group of people together to go to Paris. Only THEN did i realize i would actually need a passport! I have been a stay at home mom for 20 years, and only after my husband left us to marry his 24 year old girlfriend did i decide that I might like to try cruising!!:) I honestly think that some people never plan on traveling, or else they can't afford the passports or just don't have the time to go get one. I honestly NEVER thought i would need one.

Times, they are a-changing!

travel.state.gov says to get a passport "early" and that "now" is a good time-- if you are just starting to dream of an international vacation, go ahead and get your passport now.

My friend is just starting to think about international adoption and she asked me today how much a passport is.

And let's not forget these handy computer chips that are in these new passports (whatever they do.....???)....

It's kind of scary... like a passport is becoming a national ID card?

Archived