Five Ports???

My husband and another couple are considering taking AOS out of San Juan which departs 5/11/08. Has anyone taken this cruise? Are you worn out by the fourth port. Any other good info you can provide? Thanks.

We also did 5 ports (but it wasn't on AOS), and we also love port-intensive itineraries, but we make sure we get at least 2 sea days. We were also on an 8-night (which I believe you are on with AOS out of SJ). If so, you will have 2 sea days. Personally, I think that's perfect, but it probably also depends on your energy level. We like to gooooooooooooo when we're in the ports. :)

Why does everyone feel like you HAVE to wear yourselves out going ashore and doing excursions at every port???

We love the "Port Intensive" cruises because everyone else gets off the ship, and we get to enjoy staying on board and enjoying the ship without the crowds. You can act like it is a Sea-Day and still relax and rest.

We've done both itineraries on the AOS, and prefer the Aruba route. On the 5 port route, it seemed that we were pushing to experience something at every stop, and it can wear a person down. When we finally got a sea day, we were able to relax a little, and then had to pack up to leave the ship.

For me personally, cruising is about being on the ship and all the activities that go along with it. Therefore, I really enjoy the sea days and the ports are the icing on the cake.

Its great that RCI offers two different itinerarys for the Southern Caribbean, so that everyone can have a cruise that satisfies their individual desires.

jmho

We loved it our ports were

St Lucia

Antigua

Barbados

St Thomas

St Martin

We went to beaches and relaxed at a few of the ports, did some shopping at others and a city tour at one. Remember if you don't feel like it you can always stay on the ship and have it to yourself:p .

Why does everyone feel like you HAVE to wear yourselves out going ashore and doing excursions at every port???

quote]

That's a bit of an assumption and an absolutist statement. We certaintly don't feel like we have to go ashore at every port. We want to go to shore at every port. Doesn't mean we are running around for 8 hours. Could mean we are in port, at one of the world's most beautiful beaches, doing nothing other than relaxing in the sand, taking in the beautiful scents, watching the sea life, and just enjoying not being at work.

We all travel differently, and for us, we prefer to take in each new experience like it will be our last time in that destination.

I agree with Dhaden! If you want to get off the ship, that's fine, but there's no rule that says you HAVE to take excursions the whole time you're in port! 1st timers tend to do that the most! We enjoy going to the beach (no excursion needed!) or just wandering about the nearby town area. Many times, we do stay on the ship--after all--you've paid a lot of money for the use of that ship--and it's great on port days! You will feel as if the ship is your own private yacht!!! Sea days are fine, but ever so crowded! Port days are where you will really relax and enjoy!

We love the "Port Intensive" cruises because everyone else gets off the ship, and we get to enjoy staying on board and enjoying the ship without the crowds. You can act like it is a Sea-Day and still relax and rest.

Hi Darrell, Just wanted to say hi to you and Donna. I hope our paths cross again for another cruise. Anne

I will tell you - if St. Maarten is one of the stops, that is the perfect stop to get off the ship, take the ferry to the beach and just chill on the beach.

You can go on your own time and the beach is 5 minutes away by by the water taxi.

We recently did an 8 nighter with 5 ports. We had three port days in a row before our first sea day. (st. thomas, st. martin, and tortola). We were hot, sunburned and tired by the time we got to tortola. We enjoyed our excursion but we were thankful that we had to be on the ship by 1:30 that day! We then had a sea day and then went to coco cay and then Freeport Bahamas. Our last 8 nighter we have 4 sea days (two at a time) and only 3 ports. We love the ports and are the type who always plan excusions at every port. It was a little crazy and we were a little wiped out, but we would definitely do it again.

My husband and another couple are considering taking AOS out of San Juan which departs 5/11/08. Has anyone taken this cruise? Are you worn out by the fourth port. Any other good info you can provide? Thanks.

We have not taken this cruise but will be onboard this sailing with you. We like port intensive cruises and found that you can do as little or as much as you care to. Its a big ship with a lot going on all the time even in port if you choose to stay on and you have the ship all to yourself..

We were also on AOS last year, sounds like the same schedule. No, we were not worn out. We left a few days early and stayed at the Ritz. It was wonderful. We were relaxed and not overly rushed when we started. I think it nice to leave early and not be rushed to the ship the same as the travel day. Since this is the caribbean we went to the beach at most ports so it was pretty relaxing. We had a helicopter to Montserrat planned in Antigua but it rained all day so the trip was cancelled:(. I took the opportunity to go to the spa that day and that was relaxing.:o The only very strenuous thing we did were quads in Barbados. This was very fun. We would like to take this trip again since we missed the helipcopter tour and it really was very nice. You are going to have a great time. Enjoy! Laura

We did this itinerary on the Serenade.......the ONLY downside we found was that one sea day....the pool area was so packed,we couldnt find a chair anywhere......wound up just chilling on our balcony.........

I always say we're gonna stay onboard esp. when we have been at a port before...but never do......I figure I could always see something new and who knows if I'll be back..........

But I imagine,it is like having a ship to yourself if you do decide to skip a port and stay onboard.......

We took this cruise in Sept. on AOS and made St. Thomas our second "sea day" and it was the best "sea day" ever. We had hundreds of deck chairs to pick from, no lines at the bar, no lines anywhere. :D

I just came back from the 4 port AOS (Aruba route) and thought the itinerary was perfect, first day was at sea, to get used to the ship, and relax, next two in port, one sea day to relax again, then two more in port.

i was thinking about the the other AOS - the 5 port, and wondered how it would be, but having been to a couple of the ports already, i might be inclined to just wander a bit in the ports, then spend the rest of the day on the ship. i wouldn't not go because i thought it might be too rushed and crazy, but might alter what i do in port, as opposed to the other one, based on the schedule.

i guess it depends on waht you like to do. If you like to go here and there and see stuff, then it sounds good, or if you're more laid back, and are content to sit and relax, it might be a bit much, but only you can decide.

Our first cruise was a 7 night 5 port out of San Juan on the Monarch in 1995. Just pace yourself and you'll be fine. Try choosing some relaxing activities and some active pursuits and ENJOY!

We tend to get a little antsy if there are too many sea days so we try for at least four ports.

We'll be doing the port intensive Barbados cruise on the AOS in August, and we were thinking about skipping one port to enjoy the ship. But we'll probrably just do a relaxing beach day or two instead.

One thing that seems to be a good thing, is that the ship docks at all ports so hopefully it will be easier to get on and off than if we had to tender.

No, you won't be worn out at all unless you are off the ship running around for the entire time it is in port.

We take a lot of morning excursions which usually last about 3 hrs. or so. We are then back on the ship before 2pm and have plenty of time to have lunch, relax by the pool, take a nap, have a drink, whatever.

Have fun!

We've done both itineraries on the AOS, and prefer the Aruba route. On the 5 port route, it seemed that we were pushing to experience something at every stop, and it can wear a person down. When we finally got a sea day, we were able to relax a little, and then had to pack up to leave the ship.

For me personally, cruising is about being on the ship and all the activities that go along with it. Therefore, I really enjoy the sea days and the ports are the icing on the cake.

Its great that RCI offers two different itinerarys for the Southern Caribbean, so that everyone can have a cruise that satisfies their individual desires.

jmho

ditto. the 5 port AOS is great, but so are days at sea.

remember. your on vacation... wing it. nothing is written in stone.

I agree with Dhaden! If you want to get off the ship, that's fine, but there's no rule that says you HAVE to take excursions the whole time you're in port! 1st timers tend to do that the most! We enjoy going to the beach (no excursion needed!) or just wandering about the nearby town area. Many times, we do stay on the ship--after all--you've paid a lot of money for the use of that ship--and it's great on port days! You will feel as if the ship is your own private yacht!!! Sea days are fine, but ever so crowded! Port days are where you will really relax and enjoy!

Well, to each his own. Sometimes we do book a cruise with lots of sea days, so we can just relax. But in port, there are so many things to do that we like to go ashore -- sometimes for just half the day. On a recent S Carib cruise

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/scarib.html

we visited the butterfly garden in Aruba and kissed a sea lion in Curacao! Which one of those would we have given up to wander around town, hit the beach or evens stay aboard?

On another S Carib cruise

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/serenade.html

we visited the drive through volcano, swam with the sea turtles, and helicoptered over the volcanic waste. Which of those would we give up?

Nope, most of the time, we want to do what is available ashore. I will admit that in St. Thomas and Juneau we are about excursioned out. But otherwise I am going to be ashore on a bus or a van!

Archived