Marriotts in London. Which one?

We'll be in London for a couple of nights and want to use Marriott points. I can't figure out which one would be the best and located nearest to more things. We want to be fairly near Westminster, Buckingham Palace, and some of the other popular spots. We'll actually only have one day to sightsee and want to be able to make the most of it. We want a nice safe neighborhood. I think I've eliminated Grosvenor House and Marble Arch because of some reviews. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't get Country hall for when I need it. They had Kensington, Marble Arch, Renaissance Chauncery Ct, and Park Lane. Also something with India in it. Are any of those a good choice? I read such conflicting information on Trip Advisor. I want a nice hotel in a safe neighborhood (that was my concern with Marble Arch) and fairly close to sightseeing.

I chose Chauncery for coming August.

Maybe plot on a map of London the sights you most want to see, first? I don't know if that will help you, but it did help me.

Most of my top "must sees" (Somerset House (Hermitage), Sir John Sloane's House, St Paul's (Evensong), Covent Garden, British Musuem) all fell within walking distance of it and neighborhood reportedly safe.

Martha

Hmm..... if Marble Arch wern't 'safe' why would Madonna, Tony Blair, Kate Blanchett and a host of other celebs live in the area? And myself:D :D

Park Lane Marriot is a brand new hotel right on Marble Arch/Oxford Street - department stores etc. excellent for Tube and bus including HoHo. The one in Grosvenor Square is very nice - but not quite as convenient for transport!!

Personally, I would hate to live near County Hall - but that is a personal thing. I think the location is probably OK for tourists. Not sure that I would like to be around there at night though!!

I must point out that London is a big City with many immigrants. You must be on your guard everywhere - guard your valuables!! Ditto Barcelona and Paris!! Be careful on the Tube in the evening.

Last April, my sister and I spent 10 nights at the Marriott Marble Arch and felt very safe. We arrived quite late at night, and my niece, who was doing her junior year abroad at U of Kent, had been wandering the area for a few hours waiting for us. The three of us spent many hours walking around the area, using the nearby Tube Stations, pubs, small markets and cafes for our needs.

The hotel had a wonderful concierge who secured fantastic theatre tickets and provided us with detailed information about tours and when to arrive to avoid long lines at various tourist sites. Our room was quite large by European standards - in fact it was much larger than the room I had the previous year at the Melia White House, near Regent Park.

No matter where you are, you need to be aware of your surroundings and keep a watchful eye for personal safety.

Darcy

It really doesn't matter that much which Marriott you choose, to get about Central London you're going to use public transport (i.e underground) or the hopon, hop off bus for one day to get around. Its not going to make much differenec whichever one you choose.

The official 5 star Marriott hotels, Grosevenor Square, Park Lane and County Hall are all very central. To suggest that that any area like these are unsafe makes your mind boggle. Its only unsafe if you wear an Hawaiin shirt, have two cameras around your neck, a wallet half out of your back pocket and a the words ' I'm a tourist' emblazoned on your shirt.

County Hall is by the Thames opposite Big Ben next to the London Eye but walk outside your door and you're in a tourist hot spot with crowds all the time and the rubbish from a McDonald's within the County Hall building.

Grosvenor Square is by the US Embassy and may give you a sense of unease because of the amount of security, equally it may give you reassurance.

Park Lane is in one of the most exclusive areas of London, if yo

Marriott West India Docks is a bit out to the east of London and given your parameters should be ignored, same with Maida vale.

Marriott Marble Arch is just north of Oxford Street/Marble Arch. To the amusement of locals some US visitors feel unsafe because it is an Arab district of London, many of the shops, banks etc are Arab. But its certainly not unsafe and the ethnic mix should be enjoyed not something to be afraid of.

Marriott Kensington is a little out but its by Gloucester Road & Earl's Court Stations so you can be anywhere in Central London within 20 minutes using the tube. If you're using Heathrow this one is worth considering and I suspect you'll need less points.

l have stayed at the Marble Arch a couple of times on points. The hotel was fine and I was able to get in on the plan ahead schedule as well as being at a lower reward category - at one time it was a level 5 hotel. The concierge club is fine and you have easy access to the park. This summer we are staying Renaissance Chauncery Court where I have never stayed before. County Hall is a great location on the river and if you are a platinum you may get upgraded to a river view room. Good luck!

We are tentatively booked at Marble Arch as well. It was recommended to me by a friend that spends several days a year in London. I did read some negative reviews about the area but he said not to worry one bit. I do know to thow out half of what you read in reviews. They can be helpful but can also be very misleading.

For those of you truly in the know, would you prefer this location over Rubens at the palace? That was the other one I thought about. They are about the same price but Rubens includes a breakfast. Not enough difference to change plans. It sounds like maybe we should stay put.

Looks like I don't need to be worried about Marble Arch so we will just stay there. I think we can get to everywhere just as easy from one place as another. Thanks for all of the input from everyone.

Archived