San Pedro - Two Ships at dock

jimd909

I will be on Monarch OTS on Labor Day weekend and was checking the cruise calendar and the Regal Princess will also be there. Will it be chaotic? What time should I arrive? I was planning on leaving work at 12 and it will take approx. 2 hours to get to San Pedro (if I'm lucky:rolleyes:). Should I plan on leaving earlier?

are you parking your car there ??? I would get there by 12n...

at least... just so you can get your car parked and then get in line,

depending which area your ship is docked at, one area is nicer than the other and easier....but i would get there then to be safe

have a great trip

Melissa

It will be no problem since very often (specially in winter) - there are 2 ships in San Pedro at the same time.

We live about 20 minutes from the pier. We NEVER go early, esp. when there are multiple ships in port. If you go early, you also run into the disembarkation mess, and you will spend a lot of time standing in line (no place to sit). We plan to arrive about 2PM, and generally just walk right on with no wait at all.

2 ships is not too bad in San Pedro. 3 can be chaos.

We live about 20 minutes from the pier. We NEVER go early, esp. when there are multiple ships in port. If you go early, you also run into the disembarkation mess, and you will spend a lot of time standing in line (no place to sit). We plan to arrive about 2PM, and generally just walk right on with no wait at all.

2 ships is not too bad in San Pedro. 3 can be chaos.

Well, 20 minutes from San Diego?, We live about 50 miles and it takes at least an hour for us to get there.

Well, 20 minutes from San Diego?, We live about 50 miles and it takes at least an hour for us to get there.

No, of course not. My parents live in Torrance, and we always cruise together. I drive up from San Diego the day before. They live 20 minutes from the pier.

And yes, there is room for 3 ships (just barely), but the terminal is stretched to its limits, as are Customs and Immigration when there are 3.

When we sailed on May 14 there were three ships in port, Monarch, Coral Princess and a Holland America ship. We got to the port at 11:35 and the folks disembarking were all pretty much gone. It wasn't chaotic at all.

When we sailed on May 14 there were three ships in port, Monarch, Coral Princess and a Holland America ship. We got to the port at 11:35 and the folks disembarking were all pretty much gone. It wasn't chaotic at all.

where was the 3rd ship docked?

We were staying at Crowne Plaza. If I looked out the windows towards the harbourfront, Monarch was docked where Cuizer has shown in his pictures, which was down the street to the left and pulled forward into it's spot. Coral was docked (I don't know how to describe this, arghh:D ) at a 90 degree angle to Monarch and right after/behind it, and then the Holland America ship was pulled up right behind Coral. Those two ships were basically parallel to the road that runs along the harbourfront and Monarch was perpendicular. Hope that made sense:D .

To the OP--

Two magic words........LABOR DAY!!!

The port itself won't be too much of a problem, but I would think getting there might take longer than usual. Lots of folks get an early start home on Labor Day and the roads get backed up early. We live right off of Highway 50 which is the main artery to Lake Tahoe. We try to not drive any where on the first and last days of any holiday weekend!!!

I will be on Monarch OTS on Labor Day weekend and was checking the cruise calendar and the Regal Princess will also be there. Will it be chaotic? What time should I arrive? I was planning on leaving work at 12 and it will take approx. 2 hours to get to San Pedro (if I'm lucky:rolleyes:). Should I plan on leaving earlier?

We disembarked Monarch on Monday and the Regal Princess was in port with us. It was no big deal - Monarch almost always gets the better pier (93), so embarkation is quite organized. The second ship gets an old, inefficient terminal (you have to go through security before checking in, so at peaks times there will be a long line out the door of the terminal) and if there's a third ship she gets a tent.

We've sailed on Labor Day weekend for the past couple of years and it's no big deal. Having priority check in and embarkation if you're Platinum or higher can really speed things along.

is there room for 3 ships there? im going mar 2 08

the cal says

Norwegian Jade

Diamond Princess

Vision of the Seas

Yes, there have been three ships docked in San Pedro several times.

Okay, I'll try to show you. The San Pedro pier is "L" shaped. One ship will dock in the channel that is at right angles to the main channel. Two ships can dock in the main channel.

Here is an overview of the San Pedro dock (that is the Vision of the Seas in the photo) ...

SanPedroaerial.jpg

Here you can see (more or less) the Island Princess and the Crystal Symphony docked in the main channel ...

IMG_1227.jpg

Here is a photo of the Island Princess docked in the main channel back to back to the NCL Star ...

IMG_1431.jpg

This is the Sapphire Princess docked in the channel that is at right angles to the main channel. The photo was taken from my balcony on the NCL Star ...

IMG_1374.jpg

This shows the Lane Victory on this side of the Sapphire Princess. Also visible is the Sapphire Princess and the Island Princess docked in San Pedro and if you look closely, you can see the shadow of where the NCL Star used to be docked ...

IMG_1528.jpg

Archived