Where is Guamache?????

Tina0922

Just checked my cruise reservations and Princess has Guamache listed as a port of call instead of Caracas (La Guaira). I have been on many cruises and never heard of this island/port. Can anybody help? Where is it? Is it a good change of ports? Is this a good place for any tours, or just stay on board the ship? Thanks for your help.

Tina

I don't believe Princess has traveled to La Guaira in some time; as long ago as November 2003 on our Dawn cruise from San Juan, they substituted Guamache, Isla Margarita, for La Guaira (Caracas). I didn't leave the port area - there is a very nice marketplace and "lagoon" to swim in which we enjoyed very much, but I can't tell you anything about the tours.

El Guamache is the name of the port in Isla de Margarita, off the coast of Venezuela.

Cruise lines, including Princess, no longer call on La Guaira on the mainland because of security concerns over the unstable political situation in Venezuela.

When we called on Isla de Margarita last November, everything seem to be tranquil. We took an independent tour (I am bilingual) with another CC couple, and felt perfectly safe. Locals were very friendly, but english is not widely spoken once you venture away from the tourist areas.

If you don't speak spanish, I wouldn't recommend an independent tour -- stick with the ship's tours.

Happy Sailing!

We had a GREAT time at Isla de Margarita. We are active types, and a local was offering ATV rides, so we paired up with another couple and took off, following the guide. It was very reasonably priced, and as we passed the residents' houses, they all ran out to wave and smile at us. Very fun! Then we took out one of the small bumper type boats to explore the bay, also very fun. The beach was nice (although not like a St. John beach at all, and the water was very shallow), but there is also a great market with a lot of local crafts for sale. Don't miss Isla de Margarita, or dismiss it as a "stay on the ship" port.

We were on this island last month, and took a tour through the ship. The tour was excellent ---- a harbor with numerous fishing boats and pelicans, an old fort, a historical church, two museums and a shopping area. I think the tour was called "Isla Margarita Highlights." The only negative was that we got back to the ship just before it left so we only had a couple of minutes to shop at the marketplace by the ship which looked very good.

Archived