Live from the Millennium

fsdorado

Hello everyone!! We're here in Piraeus and there's FREE Wi-Fi in the port. We're sitting on our aft balcony eating breakfast and getting ready to head into Athens on the Metro.

Quick report on the ship... She's in fantastic shape!! The new beds (and beddings) are wonderful. All of the public areas look great. Thus far, we have not had any issues with speed due to the PODS. The food has been very good (but not great), about what we expected. Dubrovnik and Santorini were amazing. (Check out my wife's blog at http://wherearethedorados.blogspot.com for pictures and commentary.)

If you have any questions, ask away and I'll do my best to answer (or find out). We're on the ship for another week and we'll be checking in from time to time.

Frederick

We'll be there in two weeks!

Was there still the free shuttle to Dubrovnik's walled city?

Glad to hear the ship is in good shape!

You'll have a GREAT time!! The shuttle to the Old Town is $12/pp. It runs about every 15 minutes and drops you off at the Pile Gate. There were a lot of taxis available when we got off the ship too. It's only a 10 minute ride so I don't image it would be that expensive. Taxis are also available when you come back out of the Pile Gate. Have a great trip!!

Frederick

Frederick,

Nice blog! We are on the next Venice-Barcelona sailing scheduled for June 18th. A couple of questions that some of us are mulling over on our roll call thread:

1. When and where was the CC party held?

2. I would like some confirmation on when the formal nights are scheduled. In particular, when is the 3rd formal night going to be held--Livorno or Villefranche?

3. when was the muster drill held? Do you get to see Venice during the sail away or are you busy donning life jackets and getting instructions??

4. dinner is open seating on the 1st night??

5. Could you please tell me exactly what time main and late seating starts for dinner?

Continue to enjoy your cruise!!

David

Hi Frederick!

Great to hear from someone who is on the cruise we will be sailing in less than three weeks! We have a great group of people going with us, as well as a wonderful cc group, who have been corresponding (some of them) for at least a year. So we are all thrilled to hear from someone who is experiencing what we will very soon!

My main concern is Rome...we are doing Celebrity's "Rome on you own" so we can get the transport to the city. I am concerned that we will spend all day at the Vatican and not get to see the rest of the city (even though I know that that is alot to ask :(

Any suggestions, after you have been there, would really be helpful.

Thanks! and enjoy the rest of your trip!

Susan

Hi Frederick! My excitement level just tripled hearing from you! Thanks so much for taking the time to write! How is the aft cabin? We are on the july 12th sailing in an aft on deck 7...So I guess it will be worth it to bring my laptop? Did you have to purchase an internet plan or are there enough free places? Write back when you can and have the BEST time!;)

Jordie

Frederick,

Nice blog! We are on the next Venice-Barcelona sailing scheduled for June 18th. A couple of questions that some of us are mulling over on our roll call thread:

1. When and where was the CC party held?

2. I would like some confirmation on when the formal nights are scheduled. In particular, when is the 3rd formal night going to be held--Livorno or Villefranche?

3. when was the muster drill held? Do you get to see Venice during the sail away or are you busy donning life jackets and getting instructions??

4. dinner is open seating on the 1st night??

5. Could you please tell me exactly what time main and late seating starts for dinner?

Continue to enjoy your cruise!!

David

David,

1. The CC party was held at Michael's on the first sea day at 10:00 AM. I know, you're thinking "Why 10 AM??!?" We were all thinking the same thing. Attendance was good but not great. A bunch of people slept thru the party.

2. Formal nights were the second night (after the Venice sail away), the second night at sea (after Piraeus) and the night we sail from Villefranche.

3. The Muster Drill was at 2:30 PM on the second day. It only took 20 minutes or so. There was plenty of time to get back to your cabin and drop off your life jacket before heading on deck for the sail away. It really was quite stunning!!

4. The first night in Venice was open seating. If you board early in the day (we were on the ship by 11:30 AM), you are asked to dine at the first sitting. They did not ask us for our slips so I suppose we could have had dinner at the late seating.

5. For us, the first sitting for Dinner is at 6:15 PM. The second seating is at 8:45 PM.

Have a great cruise!!

Frederick

Hi Frederick! My excitement level just tripled hearing from you! Thanks so much for taking the time to write! How is the aft cabin? We are on the july 12th sailing in an aft on deck 7...So I guess it will be worth it to bring my laptop? Did you have to purchase an internet plan or are there enough free places? Write back when you can and have the BEST time!;)

Jordie

Jordie,

The aft cabins are wonderful!! We've had breakfast on the balcony every morning. We did purchase a Wi-Fi package from the ship. I guess we're mega-geeks - both my wife and I brought our laptops. :D We have been able to use the one account to logon to the Wi-Fi on both laptops. We can't quite get enough signal to get the ship's Wi-Fi from the room. We've had to go up to the Grill on the 10th deck. This is the first port that we've found free Wi-Fi from the cabin. There have been lots of free or cheap places on shore but I wouldn't want to lug my laptop around port all day. Have a great cruise!!

Frederick

Here's the dress code for each night:

Day 1 (Venice) - Casual (open seating)

Day 2 (Venice) - Formal

Day 3 (Dubrovnik) - Informal

Day 4 (At sea) - Informal

Day 5 (Santorini) - Casual (open seating)

Day 6 (Piraeus) - Casual

Day 7 (At sea) - Formal

Day 8 (Naples) - Informal

Day 9 (Civitavecchia) - Casual

Day 10 (Livorno) - Casual

Day 11 (Villefranche) - Formal

Day 12 (At sea) - Casual

Frederick

Hi Frederick!

Great to hear from someone who is on the cruise we will be sailing in less than three weeks! We have a great group of people going with us, as well as a wonderful cc group, who have been corresponding (some of them) for at least a year. So we are all thrilled to hear from someone who is experiencing what we will very soon!

My main concern is Rome...we are doing Celebrity's "Rome on you own" so we can get the transport to the city. I am concerned that we will spend all day at the Vatican and not get to see the rest of the city (even though I know that that is alot to ask :(

Any suggestions, after you have been there, would really be helpful.

Thanks! and enjoy the rest of your trip!

Susan

We were on the Millenium last November. We got a BIRG ticket at the Civitavecciha train station for 9 Euros. It gave us round trip train to Rome (50 minutes each way) and was good for all Rome public transit (metro, busses, street cars). The station was an easy 5 minute walk after a Celebrity provided shuttle out of the port.

Regards

well, I would have stated prior to this morning that I am adicted to the cc message boards, but after reading the blog you guys are writing, I guess that will be my new fascination for the next 12 days! You guys are the best and I am in awe of the videos we can watch...it's the best!!!!!!!!!:D Jordie

Frederick,

Thanks for the information. It is a little different than what I thought I had understood from researching last year's Med sailings. Please tell me about the internet package that you purchased on board (as I will be bringing my laptop as well)--how much money and how many minutes???? Our cabin is aft as well. If you cannot get a wi-fi signal there, can you hard wire in from your cabin?? We were able to do this aboard Infinity but that was 5 years ago when we were able to pay $100 for 7 nights and unlimited minutes!!

David

Thanks for all the information you have shared and for the link to your wife's great blog. Tell her to please keep it coming because for the next two weeks I will be reading every morsel with great anticipation.

Please enjoy the remainder of your trip.

Cheryl

We were on the Millenium last November. We got a BIRG ticket at the Civitavecciha train station for 9 Euros. It gave us round trip train to Rome (50 minutes each way) and was good for all Rome public transit (metro, busses, street cars). The station was an easy 5 minute walk after a Celebrity provided shuttle out of the port.

Regards

Thanks, Sasset:)

So excited about this trip and getting a sneak peak into the trip from Frederick and his wife is awesome!

We may be cutting it a bit fine but we live in Florida,booked a Translatlantic flight to London last Sept,and got this June 30th W Med cruise last week as a late booking!

We fly into London 29th,then out to Barcelona 30th,7am! Close,but our friends in London reckon its fine.

My itinerary is the reverse to you.Mine says only 2 formal days and as Ryan air from Venice only allow 15kg plus a cabin bag of 10kg,we will travel pretty light.So,no Tuxedo,(first time) but a nice suit to use the pants on other nights!

We usually do an independent tour at ports.

Like to know how far to Pompeii from Cittaveccia?

Im taking my Dell Axim 30 with Skype,so I can make 2c phone calls to home!

I usually just pay as I go for ships internet anyway,was also able to use IM on one ship!

They keep increasing the wifi net security,though!

Thanks for the blog,

Adrian & Esther Rose

Wonderful! Thanks for making me relive our cruise last Nov. We did the same itinerary Venice to Barcelona and then back to back to Fort Lauderdale for a total of 30 days on ship. Would do it again in a hertbeat, we chose November precisely because of the weather which was great. I am anxious to read/see the remodeling changes made to the Millenium. We are sailing her again on De 16, 2007 when she arrives from Europe. I will be reading your posts every day, keep it up, please.

Ada

I read your blog and will also be traveling with our Alex, 12. What are you doin to entertain him? This is our Alex's first Europe trip. We are traiining into Venice.

Also does Celebrity still have the shuttle boat to St Marks? Still free?

Glad to hear there is wireless near the ship. Hear the bad guys set them up sometimes to capture info.

Thanks for your blog and postings!

You'll have a GREAT time!! The shuttle to the Old Town is $12/pp. It runs about every 15 minutes and drops you off at the Pile Gate. There were a lot of taxis available when we got off the ship too. It's only a 10 minute ride so I don't image it would be that expensive. Taxis are also available when you come back out of the Pile Gate. Have a great trip!!

Frederick

We are taking the following tour in Dubrovnik

11:00 AM

Historic Dubrovnik & Village Life - I thiink this is a 4 1/2 -5 hr tour - I gather we will NOThavemuch time to see Dubrovnik on the return - but how much can we see before the shorex if we get off early??? Or is it not worth the effort. I wanted to see the Synagogue but the Jewish Heritage tour was cancelled as this is a Saturday port call and there will be services

Hi Susan,

We did this same wonderful itinerary last August and would do it again in a heartbeat!

You asked:

"My main concern is Rome...we are doing Celebrity's "Rome on you own" so we can get the transport to the city. I am concerned that we will spend all day at the Vatican and not get to see the rest of the city (even though I know that that is alot to ask :(

Any suggestions, after you have been there, would really be helpful."

As for Rome...so much to see in one day, I know! Think carefully about your priorities here, since you can take up alot of time at the Vatican. Some things to consider:

- would you and your group/family be happy with "just" seeing St. Peter's Square and the cathedral/basilica OR must you see the Vatican Museum (which will include the Sistine Chapel). If you can forego the museum, that saves a different line and lots of time. I know that for many Catholics, the big appeal is seeing the Square and the inside of the famous basilica, more so than a long tour through the museum's (which is fantastic for art lovers!) many, many galleries and standing crunched with hundreds of your fellow travelers looking up at the ceiling in the Sistine.

- should you reconsider your decision to do it "on your own?" Figuring out how to get from point A to point B and which line to stand in and where to get a decent lunch etc etc, will take up precious moments of your one day in Rome.

We hired a private driver for our day in Rome (actually for several ports, but both Rome and Naples are ports that I HIGHLY recommend it), and he made our day so much more efficient, relaxing and enjoyable. He arranged for our Vatican tickets and a private museum guide. When we arrived at the Vatican the line was snaking around the wall and we thought "we'll be here all day." After the doors opened at 8:30 am and the line started moving, they announced that they would close the doors again at 9 am for "awhile." I don't know why...crazy things like this happen in Italy! But, somehow, magically our guide got our group (of 21 people!!) moved to the front of the line!! How? I don't know. Did he bribe the guard? Is it his cousin or friend? Don't know...all I know is that because of him we jumped ahead of literally hundreds of others to get into the museum, through the wonderful art (led by an English-speaking art historian who was fabulous in keeping our kids engaged), into the Sistine Chapel and into St Peter's. We did not rush, but we were back in the car speeding off for a great lunch in Piazza Navonna (sp?) by 11:30 ish.

After a leisurely lunch (sampling Italian food and wine was important to our group), we toured around the historic Piazza and it's famous fountains, toured the Collosseum, the Roman Forum, the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and shopped for some gifts. Whew, a lovely ride back to the Millie and a soak in the T-pool!

I know that we could not have seen all those sights if we did not have door-to-door service and his expertise on which lines to go stand in or when the crowds ar not as bad at one sight or another.

So, just think carefully about your highest priorities and plan your day around that, and, if you do it on your own, research the best way to get around between the sights and try to have a relaxing, enjoyable day!

It's a magnificent city and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Lynne

Archived