Live from the Millennium

fsdorado

We may be cutting it a bit fine but we live in Florida,booked a Translatlantic flight to London last Sept,and got this June 30th W Med cruise last week as a late booking!

We fly into London 29th,then out to Barcelona 30th,7am! Close,but our friends in London reckon its fine.

My itinerary is the reverse to you.Mine says only 2 formal days and as Ryan air from Venice only allow 15kg plus a cabin bag of 10kg,we will travel pretty light.So,no Tuxedo,(first time) but a nice suit to use the pants on other nights!

We usually do an independent tour at ports.

Like to know how far to Pompeii from Cittaveccia?

Im taking my Dell Axim 30 with Skype,so I can make 2c phone calls to home!

I usually just pay as I go for ships internet anyway,was also able to use IM on one ship!

They keep increasing the wifi net security,though!

Thanks for the blog,

Adrian & Esther Rose

We are on the same sailing. Forgive me if I am wrong, but information I received is that there are 3 formal nights on this sailing. As well as the 3 informal and 6 casual.

We are under a month now!!!!!!

We are on the same sailing. Forgive me if I am wrong, but information I received is that there are 3 formal nights on this sailing. As well as the 3 informal and 6 casual.

We are under a month now!!!!!!

You're right, there are 3. I tried to respond earlier, but my computer wouldn't let me. We're on the same sailing as well. I've started packing my formal wear, so there had better be 3 formal nights.

Lynne,

Thank you so much for all the info. Guess we should have hired a guide for Rome, but we have three people, out of our 6 person group, who have been to Rome before, so this is why we did the "Rome on your own" "version" of the trip. I have told myself that we'll just have to play things by ear and not get stressed about everything. If we don't see everything we want to see, then we will just have to go back! Since that's the beauty of cruising, isn't it!?:)

Susan

My husband & I were on the 5/13-5/25 Barcelona to Venice sailing. It was wonderful beyond all imagination!

Yes, there were 3 formal nights. They were scheduled during the three days at sea, which was great.

Regarding Rome, it was the one place we felt we hardly saw anything simply because there is just too much to see. Gives us a great excuse to go back! If I knew then what I know now I would have booked an excursion that just focused on one or two of the major attractions as opposed to a whirlwind tour of everything.

Make certain to have a few hours (or more) for Pompeii! It was incredible.

Also, be prepared for crowds. According to the cruise staff and our guides, we were there just prior to the high tourist season and we were shocked by the crowds at all the sites.

Hi to those onboard! Hope your trip is going well. I have a question that I hope you can answer: Can you please find out what side of the ship inside cabins go out? For example: cabin 8073 does the door open out to the starboard side facing 8072, or port side 8071. Thanks in advace. We're trying to book an inside cabin with an adjacent balcony cabin. The TA didn't know the answer.

Hi to those onboard! Hope your trip is going well. I have a question that I hope you can answer: Can you please find out what side of the ship inside cabins go out? For example: cabin 8073 does the door open out to the starboard side facing 8072, or port side 8071. Thanks in advace. We're trying to book an inside cabin with an adjacent balcony cabin. The TA didn't know the answer.

sfpd3000, I'm not onboard right now, but I can answer your question. All odd numbered staterooms are on the port side (left) and all even numbered staterooms are on the starboard side (right). If you will notice from the picture below, 8071 8075 and 8079 are outside balcony concierge class staterooms and 8073, 8077, etc. are the inside cabins across the hall. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

attachment.php?attachmentid=47112&stc=1&d=1180761265

Frederick,

Thanks for the information. It is a little different than what I thought I had understood from researching last year's Med sailings. Please tell me about the internet package that you purchased on board (as I will be bringing my laptop as well)--how much money and how many minutes???? Our cabin is aft as well. If you cannot get a wi-fi signal there, can you hard wire in from your cabin?? We were able to do this aboard Infinity but that was 5 years ago when we were able to pay $100 for 7 nights and unlimited minutes!!

David

David,

We purchased the $100 package, which comes out to $0.38/minute instead of $0.65. We are NOT able to get the ship's Wi-Fi from our balcony. We were able to connect (for a little while) to the free Wi-Fi at Piraeus. We did not find any hardwire connections in the room.

Frederick

I read your blog and will also be traveling with our Alex, 12. What are you doin to entertain him? This is our Alex's first Europe trip. We are traiining into Venice.

Also does Celebrity still have the shuttle boat to St Marks? Still free?

Glad to hear there is wireless near the ship. Hear the bad guys set them up sometimes to capture info.

Thanks for your blog and postings!

Our Alex LOVES the kid's program. He's up at the Fun Factory every day. We hardly see him on sea days!! Celebrity is running a shuttle boat to St. Marks but it's $20/pp per day. The port is also running a free shuttle bus from the port to Piazalle Roma. From there, you can catch a Vaporetto. The only problem is that the shuttle only runs until 5:00 PM. If you want to get to Venice after that, you have to walk or take a land taxi (or expensive water taxi).

Frederick

Plano Tx......Boston Red Sox, (11 1/2 ahead for you all, 14 1/2 ahead of the evil empire) Whatis the connection?????

My wife grew up in CT. Her grandmother was a Red Sox fan and she could easliy say "Yaz". Been a member of the Red Sox Nation ever since. She turned our son into a Red Sox fan. I'm merely a member of the Nation by marriage. :D

Frederick

Celebrity is running a shuttle boat to St. Marks but it's $20/pp per day. The port is also running a free shuttle bus from the port to Piazalle Roma. From there, you can catch a Vaporetto. The only problem is that the shuttle only runs until 5:00 PM. If you want to get to Venice after that, you have to walk or take a land taxi (or expensive water taxi).

Frederick

Wow, I knew the shuttle boat wasn't free anymore but I did not realize that it had gone up that much. Is the $20 pppd rate the same for kids? Is getting to the closest Vaporetto stop walkable in terms of safety and distance?

Also, how many kids aboard--or how may kids your your son's age group at the Fun Factory? Are there any special activities built into the kids program because it is a Med cruise? Or is it all the standard kids program stuff?

Oh, and sorry, Yankees beat the Red Sox 9-5 on Friday on the strength of a 6 run inning in the 4th.

We are taking the following tour in Dubrovnik

11:00 AM

Historic Dubrovnik & Village Life - I thiink this is a 4 1/2 -5 hr tour - I gather we will NOThavemuch time to see Dubrovnik on the return - but how much can we see before the shorex if we get off early??? Or is it not worth the effort. I wanted to see the Synagogue but the Jewish Heritage tour was cancelled as this is a Saturday port call and there will be services

It's going to be pretty tight. It takes an hour or more to walk the walls. We didn't get cleared until around 9:00 AM. It's going to take a little while to get to the Old Town. If you REALLY rush, you can probably do it but it will be pretty tight. Does your tour include the city walls? I'm not sure how much more there is to see other than the Old Town.

By the way, they are now taking Euros for the entrace to the City Walls. You used to need to get Kunas. If you do want to get some Kunas, there is a camera shop just past the fountain on the right that has a currency exchange.

Frederick

Wow, I knew the shuttle boat wasn't free anymore but I did not realize that it had gone up that much. Is the $20 pppd rate the same for kids? Is getting to the closest Vaporetto stop walkable in terms of safety and distance?

Also, how many kids aboard--or how may kids your your son's age group at the Fun Factory? Are there any special activities built into the kids program because it is a Med cruise? Or is it all the standard kids program stuff?

It's $20/pp, adults or kids. The Vaporetto stop at Piazalle Rome is probably a 15 minute walk. You go over a bridge with a pedestrian sidewalk. It seemed pretty safe as there are constantly cars going that way. (It was very hot in Venice while we were there - around 95. It didn't cool down much at night so we decided to stay on the ship on the overnight in Venice.)

When we checked in, the Fun Factory counsellors said there were around 50 kids on the sailing, about half of them between 11-15. (School isn't out for most of the US and Europe yet.) The program has not been packed. They have activities planned but mostly, everything has been pretty free form. Alex can't wait for them to open when we get back from our tours so they've got to be doing something right. As far as I can tell, they're not doing anything special because it's a Med cruise. The scheduled activities seem pretty typical.

Frederick

Frederick,

You are the best--thanks for the information. Hopefully your Red Sox will suffer a better fate today (game time is about 4 hrs from now).

It's going to be pretty tight. It takes an hour or more to walk the walls. We didn't get cleared until around 9:00 AM. It's going to take a little while to get to the Old Town. If you REALLY rush, you can probably do it but it will be pretty tight. Does your tour include the city walls? I'm not sure how much more there is to see other than the Old Town.

By the way, they are now taking Euros for the entrace to the City Walls. You used to need to get Kunas. If you do want to get some Kunas, there is a camera shop just past the fountain on the right that has a currency exchange.

Frederick

I will probably pickup some Kunas only to add to my currency collection - I usually get a small denomination bill an some coins in every country we visit as well as a hatpin for my "Panama jack" hat.

No the tour consists of the following:

Leaving the port of Dubrovnik, you will travel through small villages bound for Mihanici Village where you will visit the home of “Mijo Sisa Konavljanin.” View some of the best works of this unusual painter who is actually the only native painter in the whole country of Croatia. He will greet you with a glass of homemade grape brandy and dried figs while showing you his work that is unlike anything that can be seen in the galleries in Dubrovnik.

Reboard the coach and continue through the chain of towns towards the picturesque village of Poljica where the typical country home of the “Glavic” family is located. The Glavic family has lived in their traditional style home for generations, producing grape brandy, olive oil and wines the same way that their ancestors did. Bringing in the tradition of the entire town, the Glavic's will serve you a meal that you can only taste in the homes of these small villages. Locally made sausages, potatoes, green salad and cake along with homemade wine will be served. While enjoying your meal and local wine, a group of local musicians/singers will entertain you with typical “Dalamatian” music and songs. After lunch, return to Dubrovnik and your waiting ship.

Another question - do they still stamp passports - another "free collectable"??

You'll have a GREAT time!! The shuttle to the Old Town is $12/pp. It runs about every 15 minutes and drops you off at the Pile Gate. There were a lot of taxis available when we got off the ship too. It's only a 10 minute ride so I don't image it would be that expensive. Taxis are also available when you come back out of the Pile Gate. Have a great trip!!

Frederick

We really appreciate your information, it has been very helpful. How do you pay for the shuttle and can you take it one way. Our tour drops us off in town and we can shop/tour on our own for awhile. Thanks Linda

I will probably pickup some Kunas only to add to my currency collection - I usually get a small denomination bill an some coins in every country we visit as well as a hatpin for my "Panama jack" hat.

No the tour consists of the following:

Leaving the port of Dubrovnik, you will travel through small villages bound for Mihanici Village where you will visit the home of “Mijo Sisa Konavljanin.” View some of the best works of this unusual painter who is actually the only native painter in the whole country of Croatia. He will greet you with a glass of homemade grape brandy and dried figs while showing you his work that is unlike anything that can be seen in the galleries in Dubrovnik.

Reboard the coach and continue through the chain of towns towards the picturesque village of Poljica where the typical country home of the “Glavic” family is located. The Glavic family has lived in their traditional style home for generations, producing grape brandy, olive oil and wines the same way that their ancestors did. Bringing in the tradition of the entire town, the Glavic's will serve you a meal that you can only taste in the homes of these small villages. Locally made sausages, potatoes, green salad and cake along with homemade wine will be served. While enjoying your meal and local wine, a group of local musicians/singers will entertain you with typical “Dalamatian” music and songs. After lunch, return to Dubrovnik and your waiting ship.

Another question - do they still stamp passports - another "free collectable"??

We only got our passports stamped in Venice (where we flew in to). We were advised to carry original picture IDs in Dubrovnik, which were checked on the shuttle bus.

Frederick

We really appreciate your information, it has been very helpful. How do you pay for the shuttle and can you take it one way. Our tour drops us off in town and we can shop/tour on our own for awhile. Thanks Linda

I'm not sure how the shuttle works if you go on a tour that drops you off in town. Most likely, you'll meet your bus back at the Pile Gate area at a certain time. We purchased our shuttle tickets onboard at the shore excursion desk. I don't think you can buy one way tickets. I would check with the shore excursion desk when you get aboard to be sure. Have a great trip!!

Frederick

What side of the ship is best for viewing the city? Did you have to get your spot early or did people come and go during it? Thanks, Linda

Linda,

You want to be on the port (left) side of the ship during the sailaway. We went to the outdoor section of the Ocean Grill (aft) and got a table pretty easily. We didn't really rush but we were in place before we cast off. It did get pretty crowded as we approached San Marco. You definitely don't want to miss it!!

Frederick

Hi Frederick,

Thanks so much for all of your info. We will not be on Millie until October, which seems like a very long wait.

If you happen to see a tall asst. waiter named Slaven at the breakfast buffet, please tell him Hi from Miss Anne.

Thanks very much!:D

There are buses available for the trip to the Old City as you disembark . No need to sign up in advance. There will also be taxis available. There will be shuttle buses continuously when you are ready to leave the Old city. Can't remember the price ($10?? rt) but it was worth it as it is much too far and too hilly to walk. Neat little cafes by the water to have lunch or a local beer. When you get off the bus, just turn left and walk toward the walled city. Enjoy!:)

SeaFAB and Hajekfam,

The driver we used in Rome, Naples and Livorno was Giovanni Musella of Giomus Limousine and Services. His email is giomus@libero.it, website is www.allroadsleadtorome.com.

And yes, he did negotiate with us and discounted for commiting to multiple ports. I think (and I'm a little fuzzy on the numbers now) that it was about 650 euro for a 6/8 person Mercedes Benz van for the day and less with multiple port discount.

He was great and worked absolute miracles for us many times. Excellent English and knowledge of all ports.

Happy traveling!

Lynne

Archived