Ketchikan tours on own

pcann

We have decided to not prebook any tours in Ketchikan. Will we be able to find tour operators at the port or close by to book a tour of town and totem poles etc? Any one else had this experience? Any suggestions for highlights of what not to miss in Ketchikan?

If one so choices Ketchikan can actually be enjoyed on your own without paying extra for a tour. I just love Creek Street and the last 2 years I have dined at the ambient New York Cafe right off of Creek Street. dolly's House and the Lumberjack shows are both an easy walk from the docks.

Our port time was from 9-3 and we got off the ship around 10:00 to set up our dock excursion - what we found is that everyone who got off ahead of us was already set on the Trolley Car and Saxman Village tours and the only tours we could get weren't until noon or one. We ended up doing an immediate "tour" to the Totem Heritage Center-Bird Sanctuary/Salmon Hatchery and found that our $19 tour was really transportation to and pickup from these attractions and the tickets to get in. In reality, we were charged $8 for the 10-minute rides and $11 for the tickets. And, we were only given an hour at both places. I think we could have easily walked to these attractions. I also saw the Duck Tour visit the Totem Heritage Center-Hatchery. My brother's family did did the $35 Trolley tour, which included the Saxman Village (6 miles away) and Dolley's House. They were very uncomfortable in the Trolley.

After our "tour", we walked around Creek Street, enjoyed the shopping and then took the tram up the hill ($2/pp). Then, we walked back to the ship. It was an easy walk and very enjoyable. So, you might just want to situate yourself in town on some maps and do the Totem Heritage Center and Salmon Hatchery (walk to it), the Tram and Creek Street. Altogether, you'd spend $13 each.

Thankx, for all the suggestions. We dock at 6:00am-1:30pm and I am not sure if the tours will even start that early. I do like the idea of walking to places if possible and the $13.00 fee sounds great. Hopefully we will be able to get the maps of where everything is quickly and then get to them.

For clarification- the dock visitor center has free walking tour maps. Totem Heritage Museum and the hatchery sell a combo ticket if interests. Easily walkable from downtown, go to Creek St and then left to Park- access on right- for loop walk, continue through the city park and then down Deermont.

We were there this pass July and did a private tour with Lois in a 55 chevy. It was great! You have to take the 3 hour tour. She took us out of the city and to a place where there must have been about 30 or more eagles flying and landing all around us. We were up close and personal with the salmon also. Her web site is classictours.com She meets you right on the dock with her car. Pam

We rented a car a couple of years ago, and drove around. There are some nice state parks there that were practically empty. I went over to the totem park and walked around and listened to one of the tour guides - they didn't seem to mind.

The price of the car for the day was only about $40. Compare that to the shore excursions.

We booked a combo Saxman Village/Totem Bight tour with Sourdough Tours in advance. Our tour guide was wonderful, and we enjoyed both the sites. They have a spot inside the visitors center right by where you park. I would imagine you can just grab a spot on one of the tours right there if they're not full.

By the way, the cost for the tour, which also included a visit to Dolly's, was about $30 pp.

In order to see the Saxman village do we need to take a tour or can we do it on our own? We are taking a flight on Misty Fjords, probably at 1:00 but not definite. Any advice? Everything we have seen about seeing the entire village is on a tour. If we need to go on a tour, how long will it take?

Archived