Noro on Liberty - Live

Funny thing ... If you look at the CDC's reports of any outbreaks on cruise ships, Disney has only had one case(and it was salmonella)back in 2000. What are they doing that the other ships aren't? I guess just higher standards!

I was sick on Disney Wonder last Sept. And I wasn't the only one.

I was sick on Disney Wonder last Sept. And I wasn't the only one.

AHA! and with that little tuft of anecdotal evidence, I'm going to smugly look at my computer monitor and say, neener to the naysayers. LOL!:p

Ugh! One more time... hand sanitizer is ANTI-BACTERIAL. Norovirus is a virus and not affected by hand sanitizer.

Not so.....hand sanitizers are effective on norovirus to a point, as is hand washing. As long as the hand sanitizer is at least 60% alcohol and is left on the hands over 30 seconds, it does help viruses, including noro, as well as bacterial contamination. Some references:

http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/cwp/view.asp?A=171&Q=243939

Hand washing and hand sanitizer both decrease the amount of norovirus but neither is absolutely effective. Frequent, vigorous hand washing with hot water and soap or hand sanitizer is important.

http://www.colostate.edu/orgs/safefood/NEWSLTR/v8n3s06.html

Hand sanitizers (alcohol gels) have gained popularity because they are convenient and easy to use. The majority of hand sanitizers contain ethanol or isopropanol, or a combination of these two products. Most brands also contain a moisturizer to minimize irritation to the skin. Alcohol works immediately and effectively to kill bacteria and most viruses. Solutions containing 60-95% alcohol are most effective. Higher concentrations are less potent because proteins are not denatured easily in the absence of water. Alcohol gels work by stripping away the outer layer of oil on the skin, thereby destroying any "transient" microorganisms present on the surface of the hands. After use, re-growth of bacteria on the skin tends to occur slowly, thereby effectively keeping "residual" micro-flora that reside in deeper layers of skin from coming to the surface. To be most effective, a dime-size dollop of alcohol gel should be rubbed into the hands for 30 seconds. If hands are dry after only 10-15 seconds, it is likely that not enough sanitizer was used.

http://www.ecolab.com/PublicHealth/Norovirus.asp

Hand hygiene is critical to help prevent and control of virus outbreaks. This is a primary transmission mode and must be judiciously implemented. Washing well and often is the best control. The CDC recommends use of an alcohol-based hand sanitizer6 along with hand washing using the following procedure7:

1. Wet your hands with warm water.
  2. Apply a generous amount of soap.
  3. Rub hands together for 20 seconds.
  4. Rinse hands.
  5. Dry hands with a paper towel
  6. Use the paper towel to turn off the faucet and open the door.

When I was on Mariner in Jan., a friend went to the infirmary for a leg gash and told me there were some cases of Noro in the infirmiry. The ship was pretty pro-active and it never spread. My estimate was about 10-12 cases out of 3,000-3,600 (5,400 with staff). With staff, that is a .2% infection. Pretty good proactive work.

Didn't Freedom go through this? I seem to remember RCCL taking her out of commission for a cleaning because of Noro.

Sorry to hear about the current status ...

Good Luck Liberty passengers ! !

AOS had Noro 2 weeks before I sailed last Dec and we were fine. Wash those hands ! !

Just got the dreaded call for the 6/2 sailing. Delayed boarding, 6PM. We did get a huge $25 credit. Boat sails at 10PM.

Vince

so the truth comes out....RCL customer service stated no noro onboard....

Wonder if it will hit the news

A few cases does not make an outbreak. We do not know for sure this is even Noro. A passenger on board is posting based on observations, not on facts. Almost all cruises have some cases of it. Just so few you do not hear. They do not have to report it until it reaches a certain percentage. This is not only on RCCL, it is on all lines. My hubby works on NCL and you would be shocked how many times he tells me crew and passengers being sick, yet nothing on the news, because they do not have to report it since it did not reach that percentage.

Actually two or more cases of a foodborne illness (I know you will say this isn't a foodborne, but it is classified as such) is considered an outbreak. However, I believe the cruiselines are allowed to get away with 2% of passengers and crew sick before they must call the CDC. And your right, they rarely confirm that it's Noro, and with many gastrointestinal illnesses presenting with similar symptoms, you can never be sure what you've got! :o

Just want to mention alcohol-based hand sanitizers are fairly effective at killing viruses as long as they are 60% alcohol. Washing hands is always better, but only if you wash vigorously, which most people don't do!! :rolleyes:

For all those sailing, I wouldn't worry about it!! Practicing good hygiene is all you can do! Happy Cruising! :)

Ugh! One more time... hand sanitizer is ANTI-BACTERIAL. Norovirus is a virus and not affected by hand sanitizer.

Not so.....hand sanitizers are effective on norovirus to a point, as is hand washing. As long as the hand sanitizer is at least 60% alcohol and is left on the hands over 30 seconds, it does help viruses, including noro, as well as bacterial contamination. Some references:

Hand washing and hand sanitizer both decrease the amount of norovirus but neither is absolutely effective. Frequent, vigorous hand washing with hot water and soap or hand sanitizer is important.

Hand sanitizers (alcohol gels) have gained popularity because they are convenient and easy to use. The majority of hand sanitizers contain ethanol or isopropanol, or a combination of these two products. Most brands also contain a moisturizer to minimize irritation to the skin. Alcohol works immediately and effectively to kill bacteria and most viruses. Solutions containing 60-95% alcohol are most effective. Higher concentrations are less potent because proteins are not denatured easily in the absence of water. Alcohol gels work by stripping away the outer layer of oil on the skin, thereby destroying any "transient" microorganisms present on the surface of the hands. After use, re-growth of bacteria on the skin tends to occur slowly, thereby effectively keeping "residual" micro-flora that reside in deeper layers of skin from coming to the surface. To be most effective, a dime-size dollop of alcohol gel should be rubbed into the hands for 30 seconds. If hands are dry after only 10-15 seconds, it is likely that not enough sanitizer was used.

Hand hygiene is critical to help prevent and control of virus outbreaks. This is a primary transmission mode and must be judiciously implemented. Washing well and often is the best control. The CDC recommends use of an alcohol-based hand sanitizer6 along with hand washing using the following procedure7:

4. Rinse hands.

Great info! I am a public health educator so I always appreciate people being diligent about this stuff, and finding reliable info! :)

I hope everyone cruising the next couple of weeks has a happy healthy cruise. NO fun with Noro around.

I was on the Splendor in Feb, although there was not Noro we had really rough seas with folk using the barf bags and such for the whole cruise. Many passengers were sick including my daughter. It does not make for a fun trip. Make sure you have trip insurance. The trip to the doctor with my daughter was over 200 for the shot (2) and exam.

Wash your hands and have fun everyone!

I have been thinking of this. It doesn't make sense to me that they keep the buffet open when there is a Noro outbreak:eek: . At that point I think they should have staff serving the portions (perhaps still buffet style). That way hundreds of people aren't touching the utensils.

Just my two cents worth! I think I'm becoming more of a germaphobe the older I get - but who wants to get ill while spending thousands of dollars on a cruise?

Hi all, we live in the Fort Lauderdale area. My travel agent called and said, yes, there was an outbreak and that boarding is scheduled for 6pm with 10pm sail time. People who arrive earlier by flight will be re-routed to the Miami Beach Convention Center. Oh well, what can you do? I'm sure the ship will be squeaky clean and disinfected. I've never heard of 2 consecutive sailings on the same ship coming down with it--anyone know if that's ever happened?:eek: I'm still very excited about this trip!!! Good luck everyone sailing this Saturday...

Hi all, we live in the Fort Lauderdale area. My travel agent called and said, yes, there was an outbreak and that boarding is scheduled for 6pm with 10pm sail time. People who arrive earlier by flight will be re-routed to the Miami Beach Convention Center. Oh well, what can you do? I'm sure the ship will be squeaky clean and disinfected. I've never heard of 2 consecutive sailings on the same ship coming down with it--anyone know if that's ever happened?:eek: I'm still very excited about this trip!!! Good luck everyone sailing this Saturday...

Yes it has !!!!!

Last December 2006 on Freedom of the Seas

Freedom of the Seas Update

For sailing scheduled to departure December 10, 2006s.gif

At the recommendation of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Royal Caribbean International is delaying the departure of Freedom of the Seas for two days to conduct enhanced cleaning onboard the ship. The ship was schedule to depart the Port of Miami December 10, for a seven-night Caribbean cruise. The ship will now depart on December 12, for a modified five-night itinerary.

During Freedom of the Seas' November 26 - December 3 sailing, 338 of the ship's 3,823 guests and 43 of its 1,400 crew members experienced a gastrointestinal illness, known as a norovirus. During this past week's sailing, December 3 - 10, 97 of the ship's 3,907 guests and 11 of its 1,400 crew members experienced the same type of illness.

Despite this significant improvement, during the last sailing, this morning, Royal Caribbean was informed by the CDC that the agency was recommending it delay the departure of Freedom of the Seas until Tuesday afternoon to perform additional sanitizing of the entire ship.

Didn't Freedom go through this? I seem to remember RCCL taking her out of commission for a cleaning because of Noro.

Sorry to hear about the current status ...

Good Luck Liberty passengers ! !

AOS had Noro 2 weeks before I sailed last Dec and we were fine. Wash those hands ! !

Here's the link to RCCL's press release from that Dec. Freedom outbreak: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do;jsessionid=0000qPlX5AgTgZqCbABisKjTVZr:v29bc6gq?pagename=important_updates. IMO, RCL handled that situation in an excellent manner.

Thanks for the good wishes - we're still going, and we WILL enjoy our cruise. OK, we'll be washing our hands more than Howard Hughes or Adrian Monk but it's a small price to pay!

M

Yes it has !!!!!

Last December 2006 on Freedom of the Seas

Freedom of the Seas Update

For sailing scheduled to departure December 10, 2006s.gif

At the recommendation of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Royal Caribbean International is delaying the departure of Freedom of the Seas for two days to conduct enhanced cleaning onboard the ship. The ship was schedule to depart the Port of Miami December 10, for a seven-night Caribbean cruise. The ship will now depart on December 12, for a modified five-night itinerary.

During Freedom of the Seas' November 26 - December 3 sailing, 338 of the ship's 3,823 guests and 43 of its 1,400 crew members experienced a gastrointestinal illness, known as a norovirus. During this past week's sailing, December 3 - 10, 97 of the ship's 3,907 guests and 11 of its 1,400 crew members experienced the same type of illness.

Despite this significant improvement, during the last sailing, this morning, Royal Caribbean was informed by the CDC that the agency was recommending it delay the departure of Freedom of the Seas until Tuesday afternoon to perform additional sanitizing of the entire ship.

YIKES!!! Hope that doesn't happen to us...

4. Rinse hands.

Okay, so does switching to 151 proof rum kill anything in the stomach? :)

Cut me some slack-- I'm staying positive here!!! :D

Now there is a thread that Carnivals Liberty Has a Noro outbreak! Do both Liberties have it or is it a mix up? Its so confusing that two different lines named there ship the same thing!

:confused:

I have been thinking of this. It doesn't make sense to me that they keep the buffet open when there is a Noro outbreak:eek: . At that point I think they should have staff serving the portions (perhaps still buffet style).

That's precisely what they do!

I was on that Dec 3 sailing of Freedom, so I speak from experience. :)

T

Now there is a thread that Carnivals Liberty Has a Noro outbreak! Do both Liberties have it or is it a mix up? Its so confusing that two different lines named there ship the same thing!

:confused:

Okay, so does switching to 151 proof rum kill anything in the stomach? :)

Cut me some slack-- I'm staying positive here!!! :D

Well, I was on a noro cruise...

Drank mojitos and caipirinhas non-stop and no noro for me!

So I say "yes"...it absolutely will do the trick! Party on, Wayne. :)

T

IMO, under-reporting. Disney, as are many family cruisers, is a snot factory. I don't think it's possible that they've never had Noro. Not for one minute. My kids got it in school this winter and brought it home to the rest of us (Thanks kids!). It's catchy. If a ship is diligent and quarentines quickly and early, they can get it, but people lie. They lie all the time about their health. No one wants to cancel a vacation. It's not possible that Disney is getting away with a free pass and no Noro. Statistically it's just not possible.

What happens in quarentine? Obviously you are confined to your cabin but then what? Dr visit? Room service for meals?

OMG! This totally stinks. You would think a brand new ship is going to be clean. lol

We are on 6/9, I am worried. The last thing you want to do on vacation is get sick.

6/2 cruisers please keep us posted if you can. have a safe & healthy trip. Good Luck to you guys.

Mercy

We were on the Freedom on the Nov. 26 cruise. We were with a group of 12 including us. 5 of our group got the Noro. 4 of them were 1st time cruisers. 1st time we've been on a cruise that had the Noro.

Gail

Archived