Back from Coral Princess-long review

stjohnrocks

Our trip was 5/21 - 5/28. We went early and spent a couple of days in Vancouver and one overnight in Victoria.

Vancouver/Victoria-was great. Canadians are very friendly. We loved Stanley Park. Storm damage was very evident but still a beautiful park. We saw our first bald eagle there and spent alot of time watching it even from our hotel room. We stayed at the Westin Bayshore right next to the park. If nature is your thing (it's ours) then I highly recommend this hotel. If you are into shopping then I would stay more central. We took a Pacific Coach tour to Victoria and overnighted at the Marriott. We weren't impressed with the Marriott. Very new but very basic. However, it is in a good location which was the main thing for this quick stay. Loved Butchart Gardens. Highly recommend. Didn't have time to do Orca Whale Watching :( . Gives us a reason to go back perhaps.

Alaska- Northbound itinerary with stops at Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway. Glacier Bay and College Fjord in PWS finishing in Whittier.

Ketchikan we had to tender (unexpected, internet schedules did not reflect this). According to crew it is not normal for the Coral to tender there. Luckily we hadn't booked anything so no problem. We walked around town, Creek Street up to the hatchery. The walk to the hatchery was fairly easy if you have no mobility issues. The funicular was closed the day we were there. We walked back down Married Mans trail. I would definetly not walk up that way! Some celebrity playmates (girls next door reality show (?) were up at Cape Fox Lodge so my college age son has a story now). Saw tons of eagles from our balcony and walking thru town. Juneau: Booked whale watching with Capt. Larry, Orca Enterprises. Good trip, knowledgeable crew, nice boat. Saw several whales. The whales seemed kind of tired after their long trip from Hawaii. We saw several whales right from our balcony on the ship our second day at sea so the whale watching was sort of anti-climatic, no fault of Orca. But I should add, I could still have spent all day whale watching! Later, we took a bus to Mendenhall. Tip: find out about the bus schedules early in the day. We tried to buy tickets about 2:00pm or 2:30 and the blue bus ticket station was gone so we ended up with a competitor. The problem was their last bus from Mendenhall was 4:00pm so we lost a couple of hours we would have liked there. A Celebrity ship didn't make port so they all shut down everything early. Skagway: Did the drive up to Emerald Lake. A great day, had a blast. The scenery was breathtaking. We loved doing this at our own pace. The drive was easy. We ate at Spirit Lake Lodge and had the place to ourself. Glacier Bay: saw 4 brown bears on a beach (Captain spotted them). Had a quick look with binoculars until they retreated into the woods. Margerie Glacier calved several times which was awesome! John Hopkins area was closed due to seals having pups there.

Coral Princess: Intial reaction was disappointment. We are used to the drama of RCCL ships. That being set, she was in great condition just out of wet dock. All new carpets etc. Our cabin steward was the best we've had on any cruise (7 completed). Our waiter, Reynaldo and his asst. Erick were excellent. Bar staff was so so. Our mini suite was beautiful. It was the nicest room I've had at sea. So all in all we were happy with the Coral but my son and husband still like the wow of the RCCL ships, especially the Voyager Class. I thought the Coral seemed old fashioned in design/architecture for a post year 2000 ship. Still if the itinerary was the best I would sail her again.

Thanks to everyone for help in our planning of this great trip. Also, the weather was decent but I was still glad for my parka on glacier days ;) .

Enjoyed the review. We are sailing on Infinity on 17th June. Presumably it was her being in dry dock for the week that meant the closure early. I am glad to read about the Mendenhall bus. We will use it in the morning to be safe.

Cinnamon

Skagway: Did the drive up to Emerald Lake. A great day, had a blast. The scenery was breathtaking. We loved doing this at our own pace. The drive was easy. We ate at Spirit Lake Lodge and had the place to ourself.

Thanks for the review. We're going to be on her sister ship Island going northbound also.

We have a car rented for Skagway too. What kind of food does Spirit Lake Lodge offer and where is it? Would you recommend. I know there aren't that many places to catch a bite to eat on this drive.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome back, and thanks for your review! I was hoping there would be a Coral Princess review before we leave tomorrow!! After reading this, I'm also keeping the heavier jacket!

Did you spend any time in Alaska when the cruise ended? How did you get from the ship to Anchorage?

We're also staying at the Westin Bayshore pre-cruise. How did you get from the hotel to Canada Place? I've read the hotel will shuttle cruise passengers.

Our trip was 5/21 - 5/28. We went early and spent a couple of days in Vancouver and one overnight in Victoria.

Vancouver/Victoria-was great. Canadians are very friendly. We loved Stanley Park. Storm damage was very evident but still a beautiful park. We saw our first bald eagle there and spent alot of time watching it even from our hotel room. We stayed at the Westin Bayshore right next to the park. If nature is your thing (it's ours) then I highly recommend this hotel. If you are into shopping then I would stay more central. We took a Pacific Coach tour to Victoria and overnighted at the Marriott. We weren't impressed with the Marriott. Very new but very basic. However, it is in a good location which was the main thing for this quick stay. Loved Butchart Gardens. Highly recommend. Didn't have time to do Orca Whale Watching :( . Gives us a reason to go back perhaps.

Great review! Do you have any platters you can post?

Alaska- Northbound itinerary with stops at Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway. Glacier Bay and College Fjord in PWS finishing in Whittier.

Ketchikan we had to tender (unexpected, internet schedules did not reflect this). According to crew it is not normal for the Coral to tender there. Luckily we hadn't booked anything so no problem. We walked around town, Creek Street up to the hatchery. The walk to the hatchery was fairly easy if you have no mobility issues. The funicular was closed the day we were there. We walked back down Married Mans trail. I would definetly not walk up that way! Some celebrity playmates (girls next door reality show (?) were up at Cape Fox Lodge so my college age son has a story now). Saw tons of eagles from our balcony and walking thru town. Juneau: Booked whale watching with Capt. Larry, Orca Enterprises. Good trip, knowledgeable crew, nice boat. Saw several whales. The whales seemed kind of tired after their long trip from Hawaii. We saw several whales right from our balcony on the ship our second day at sea so the whale watching was sort of anti-climatic, no fault of Orca. But I should add, I could still have spent all day whale watching! Later, we took a bus to Mendenhall. Tip: find out about the bus schedules early in the day. We tried to buy tickets about 2:00pm or 2:30 and the blue bus ticket station was gone so we ended up with a competitor. The problem was their last bus from Mendenhall was 4:00pm so we lost a couple of hours we would have liked there. A Celebrity ship didn't make port so they all shut down everything early. Skagway: Did the drive up to Emerald Lake. A great day, had a blast. The scenery was breathtaking. We loved doing this at our own pace. The drive was easy. We ate at Spirit Lake Lodge and had the place to ourself. Glacier Bay: saw 4 brown bears on a beach (Captain spotted them). Had a quick look with binoculars until they retreated into the woods. Margerie Glacier calved several times which was awesome! John Hopkins area was closed due to seals having pups there.

Coral Princess: Intial reaction was disappointment. We are used to the drama of RCCL ships. That being set, she was in great condition just out of wet dock. All new carpets etc. Our cabin steward was the best we've had on any cruise (7 completed). Our waiter, Reynaldo and his asst. Erick were excellent. Bar staff was so so. Our mini suite was beautiful. It was the nicest room I've had at sea. So all in all we were happy with the Coral but my son and husband still like the wow of the RCCL ships, especially the Voyager Class. I thought the Coral seemed old fashioned in design/architecture for a post year 2000 ship. Still if the itinerary was the best I would sail her again.

Thanks to everyone for help in our planning of this great trip. Also, the weather was decent but I was still glad for my parka on glacier days ;) .

Great review! Do you have any platters or pictures you can post?

One bedding question - we had heard rumor that the matresses would be replaced in wet-dock. Were the beds comfortable, or did you need an egg crate? (hey, we're going either way, but it would be nice to know)

Thanks for the review. We're going to be on her sister ship Island going northbound also.

We have a car rented for Skagway too. What kind of food does Spirit Lake Lodge offer and where is it? Would you recommend. I know there aren't that many places to catch a bite to eat on this drive.

Thanks in advance.

It is just pass Carcross, I had quiche and soup, DH and son had soup and sandwich (heated sandwich) and pie. Cost was about $14 pp but everyone was happy. The soup and quiche were excellent. We all said it was the best lunch we had all week. So I highly recommend.

What was the location of your mini-suite?

We were in Caribe 417. Starboard side. By the way I really worried about Starboard or Port side. On this cruise it didn't matter much. The only place it made a real difference to us was docked in Ketchikan. We had alot of fun watching the eagles (lots!) from our balcony while on ship. On glacier days they gave plenty of time for both sides of ship. When we were on the port side, we went down to the Promenade deck. It was my favorite deck on this ship.

Welcome back, and thanks for your review! I was hoping there would be a Coral Princess review before we leave tomorrow!! After reading this, I'm also keeping the heavier jacket!

Did you spend any time in Alaska when the cruise ended? How did you get from the ship to Anchorage?

We're also staying at the Westin Bayshore pre-cruise. How did you get from the hotel to Canada Place? I've read the hotel will shuttle cruise passengers.

We rented a car to go to Anchorage. Unfortunately it was our only bad weather day. It was rainy, cold, and windy. Eventually the rain stopped. We stopped by Portage Visitor Center, animal place (we looked like the Griswalds there, staying in the car with the video camera. we were pathetic). The Westin did not have transportation to Canada Place. We did ask. We took a cab, I think it was around $6 or so. Can't remember exactly.

One bedding question - we had heard rumor that the matresses would be replaced in wet-dock. Were the beds comfortable, or did you need an egg crate? (hey, we're going either way, but it would be nice to know)

We didn't need one for our bed. My son did get one for the sofa bed. One funny thing is I had to ask for top sheets! Apparently, Princess thinks a duvet is a substitute for a top sheet. Our cabin steward got them for us with no problem. The beds were acceptable but certainly not Heavenly beds.

Thanks for the review. It brought back many wonderful memories of our NB cruise on the Coral in 2005. We loved the Coral. It was such a friendly ship and our cabin steward and waiters were the best. Isn't Alaska in May wonderful? We also did the drive to Emerald Lake and loved the freedom to stop anywhere and anytime. I will be interested to see your pictures when you post them. I look back at ours frequently to "relive" our cruises to Alaska. Pictures just can't show the beauty and grandure of the place though. One day we WILL go back!

We'll have the same mini as you except on the port side. I had heard those balconies were smaller than the rest, but did you think you had plenty of room there?

The balcony was small for 3 people. For two it should be fine. There was only room for 2 chairs and a small table. Even that is somewhat tight. It is quite a bit smaller than the other balconies. You do make up for it in view.

The balcony was small for 3 people. For two it should be fine. There was only room for 2 chairs and a small table. Even that is somewhat tight. It is quite a bit smaller than the other balconies. You do make up for it in view.

Thanks!

I tried to cut and paste a photo, but it wouldn't work (?). Anyway, I will try and post a link to photobucket sometime this weekend with photos (including the balcony picture). My photos are ok, but I've seen a lot better on this site!

:o We are set to sail again on the Coral Princess in a couple of weeks. I actually prefer the subtle decor of the Coral for Alaska sailings, as all the drama is going on outside the ship 24/7. We have never utlilized a balcony more on a ship than we did in Alaska 2 years ago, but then we had fantastic weather. We were on our balcony in swim suits while cruising Glacier Bay! Hoping for the same this year!

We were in Caribe 417. Starboard side. By the way I really worried about Starboard or Port side. On this cruise it didn't matter much. The only place it made a real difference to us was docked in Ketchikan. We had alot of fun watching the eagles (lots!) from our balcony while on ship. On glacier days they gave plenty of time for both sides of ship. When we were on the port side, we went down to the Promenade deck. It was my favorite deck on this ship.

Wow! We are in C417 southbound June 11! We booked this cabin last June because it is a forward corner "bump" balcony. Two other couples in our group have two of the other "bump" corners on Caribe.

Were robes already in the room? How about an egg-crate pad...or is it even needed? Was the balcony private enough for you? Any other comments about the room?

Thanks!

Edited to say I just read your comments on the bed. Was so excited to post I didn't read the rest of the thread!

Wow! We are in C417 southbound June 11! We booked this cabin last June because it is a forward corner "bump" balcony. Two other couples in our group have two of the other "bump" corners on Caribe.

Were robes already in the room? How about an egg-crate pad...or is it even needed? Was the balcony private enough for you? Any other comments about the room?

Thanks!

Edited to say I just read your comments on the bed. Was so excited to post I didn't read the rest of the thread!

Hey MaderaMan - we have a Roll Call going for the 6/11 sailing. Come join us at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=358390

Thanks!

Yes, robes were in the room. Came in quite handy!

Archived