Does princess do this all the time?

lssg

On our last cruise on the diamond princess, the ship had a big sale not in the boutique store but a room and everything was at least 50% or more off, does princess do this every cruise or only on certain times of the year? We will be cruising in November on the Emerald, I wonder if they will have such a sale?

I don't know if it is done every cruise, but we have had those "sales" on the last two cruises. In February, on a 14 day cruise, there was one each week. They were set up in one of the dining rooms, and they had merchandise from the onboard shops at 50% off, as well as quite a selection from Bijou Terner. I picked up several 50% off items for gifts, plus 2 $10 "fun" watches that have been working just fine and a nice evening bag from Bijou Terner. I think $10 is normal pricing for BT, but it was nice that there was a variety of their stuff available (watches, purses, hats, pasminas, evening bags). It was a fun place to shop, and ,to me, preferable to most of the "sale tables" they have in the atrium outside the ship's shops. We generally avoid those.

Just came off the Golden Princess and staying true to the traditions of crusies, they had the typical Wal-Mart art auction, gold by the inch sale, one day only gem sales, and you guessed it, the 75% liquidation sale. Like others have said, nothing that we could not live without. I was not in the market for a "Cancun '04" t-shirt . . . . :)

As spongerob & others said, the sales seem to be when the ship is repositioning and getting rid of leftover things. I went to one and that was enough - we were in Alaska and the t-shirts were for other itineraries. Nothing much of value there. The Bijou T... things for $10 are always available in the boutiques anyway. I purchased too many evening bags last cruise @ $10 each because they were so nicely done (for the price) with beads, etc.

On our last cruise on the diamond princess, the ship had a big sale not in the boutique store but a room and everything was at least 50% or more off, does princess do this every cruise or only on certain times of the year? We will be cruising in November on the Emerald, I wonder if they will have such a sale?

They did this on CB the next to last day of our cruise in early April.

Just got off the Sapphire, 29 days from Australia to Los Angeles & they had the sale TWICE! Been on the Grand to Panama last year & they too had the sale-once. Always fun to look around at the $10 items for grandchildren gifts.

I think so. My best find was the buying the "Alaska Cruise Companion" book. At the time, I had never been to Alaska on a cruise. But, I knew that I wanted to. The book retailed for $16.95 and I picked it up for $7.95.

I am going to Alaska in July and the book has been invaluable for me to learn "mile by mile" the things I will see.

I also, have one of those $10 watches and I love it and do not have to worry if I were to loose it, etc..

They do this often, but there are more things available on a repositioning cruise.

Several years ago, I was on the Regal Princess and she was repositioning to Alaska on her next voyage. There were some incredible deals, including some Russian laqueur boxes that sell here in the U.S. for hundreds of $$$. I bought three that would have added up to well over $1K at home and paid only about $125. Just about everyone walked past them, not knowing what they were. Their loss, my gain. :)

The Bijou T... things for $10 are always available in the boutiques anyway. I purchased too many evening bags last cruise @ $10 each because they were so nicely done (for the price) with beads, etc.

Are the evening bags really that nice? Do they have straps, maybe chain straps? I have been looking for a small evening bag around town and have not seen anything interesting. Maybe I should just wait until I am on the ship :)

I did notice a sale listed in the Patters on our last cruise. It was near the end of the cruise, which wasn't a repo one -- a few months away from the Island traveling to Alaska. It was mostly stuff I wouldn't buy even if it was 75% or more off. Seemed to be quite a bit of Alaskan and Caribbean stuff (don't think the Island had been to the Caribbean:rolleyes: ). I did buy a few keychains.

We did check out the tee shirt table near the end of the cruise as we usually do buy at least a sweatshirt or tee on each cruise.

I've seen these types of sales usually when the ship is on its last run on an itinerary for the season. That being said, I was on Island Princess' last Hawaii itinerary in May and didn't see the same kind of event...which is peculiar because according to Princess' scheduling, Island Princess will NEVER be back in Hawaii... :confused:

Just came off the Golden Princess and staying true to the traditions of crusies' date=' they had the typical Wal-Mart art auction, gold by the inch sale, one day only gem sales, and you guessed it, the 75% liquidation sale. Like others have said, nothing that we could not live without. I was not in the market for a "Cancun '04" t-shirt . . . . :)[/quote']

I always attend these final day sales. I got a nice pair of 14K earrings, once, at the 50% off price they should have been in the first place. It's the only time I will buy anything on board. I sometimes find unusual things for gifts. On the last cruise there was a noro-virus outbreak, and they cancelled the sale so we bargain hunters wouldn't spread the virus.:( The best deals were at the end of a season. PS- the tee shirts run small. Always buy one size larger than you think you'll need.

I've seen these types of sales usually when the ship is on its last run on an itinerary for the season. That being said, I was on Island Princess' last Hawaii itinerary in May and didn't see the same kind of event...which is peculiar because according to Princess' scheduling, Island Princess will NEVER be back in Hawaii... :confused:

Thats because they did it on the Coastal to Vancouver. :D

"Are the evening bags really that nice? Do they have straps, maybe chain straps? I have been looking for a small evening bag around town and have not seen anything interesting. Maybe I should just wait until I am on the ship"

Yes, I think the the evening bags are quite nice. The one I picked up was black silky fabric with beaded trim, silver color circular metal handles, plus a chain shoulder strap that was detachable. They had a number of other styles available too. Can't wait to have the opportunity to use mine on the next cruise.

Did not see such a dining room sale on the Royal Princess last week. Did get a T-shirt for $6.95 ... "St. Tropez - Greek Islands". A collector's item LOL

Archived