"RCCL needs to Keep Voyager or Freedom class in Port Canaveral!!

I haven't had a chance to read all of the posts, but I think this is an awesome thread. I think it is a real problem for RCCL not having the Voyager class sailing year round out of Florida, I know a lot of loyal RCCL fans that do not want to cruise on the Freedom class due to size and Celebrity is not a good option either. I understand that there is a demand in California, but with the Mariner having such a larger "fan club" I was suprised to hear the Mariner was the ship that was chosen. I was just off the Mariner and it was my favorite cruise ever!! I will be sad to see it go and was looking forward to more Mariner cruises. I have finally reached diamond status and found my favorite cruise ship. The crew of the Mariner is also probably disappointed since many of the crew members have established relationships in Florida. I know the option is there to go on the Mariner out of LA, but the cost of the flights are higher than Florida, and the ports in Mexico do not sound appealing. I will be emailing C and A soon.

I have to agree with Gordon...............I think RCCL knows how important PC is to them and to us.......I dont think hounding them will make a big difference........

And to say one wont cruise RCCL anymore because they have to drive to Miami or Ft lauderdale is crazy..............most people have to fly....consider yourselves fortunate you're still within driving distance,if that is what you choose to do..........

And if you need to book a cruise that is almost 2 years away and are getting annoyed they dont have a definite answer for you,sorry.......thats their business................and maybe you should book now(on another cruiseline) if it is so important to do so........

For the record,I am not referring to everyone on this thread.......just some...............and I agree,I sure hope RCCL puts a 7 night ship at PC........and chances are it will happen..........just no need to OD on the emails..........they do read the boards........

i have been on the mariner 3 times i love that ship! captain johnny was my favorite captain he is such a great guy/ funny!i hope a big ship will replace her!i live 3 hours away and cruise 3 times a year,freedom would be great!being so close to disney they need a big ship in this area:(

And to say one wont cruise RCCL anymore because they have to drive to Miami or Ft lauderdale is crazy..............most people have to fly....consider yourselves fortunate you're still within driving distance,if that is what you choose to do..........

That is a good point. I am upset that they are taking Mariner away from Port Canaveral, but I am thankful that they sailed her out of Port Canaveral for the last 4 years. I think people must remember that Royal Caribbean is not required to sail a ship out of a specific port (Galveston or Port Canaveral) and that they are going to sail out of ports with the most demand.

We enjoy sailing out of Port Canaveral because it is an easy drive, but we don't settle on Port Canaveral if there is another cruise out of another port that better suits us. So, I agree, to stop sailing Royal Caribbean because they are no longer sailing 7 day cruises out of PC is absurd.

Oh I will continue sailing RCCL, but my point was that the voyager class ship were my ship of choice and with less choices being offered for them I see myself cruising less, which I find to be a real shame.

I also agree about them reading the boards which is why I think its important to voice our opinion here

I have to agree with Gordon...............I think RCCL knows how important PC is to them and to us.......I dont think hounding them will make a big difference........

And if you need to book a cruise that is almost 2 years away and are getting annoyed they dont have a definite answer for you,sorry.......thats their business................and maybe you should book now(on another cruiseline) if it is so important to do so........

For the record,I am not referring to everyone on this thread.......just some...............and I agree,I sure hope RCCL puts a 7 night ship at PC........and chances are it will happen..........just no need to OD on the emails..........they do read the boards........

I really would not characterise our emails as hounding RCCL -- most folks who have contacted RCCL have done it once or twice -- think we all know that overkill will backfire. And a few of us have put the link to this thread in our emails.

We will continue to cruise on RCCL and drive to another Fla. port if there is no 7 day ship in Port C. We are lukcy that we can do this without the expense and hassle of flying. I started the thread so that folks would have an easy place to exchange information and express their support for a large RCCL ship out of Port Canaveral.

Ok I went back and listened to the message again. He said that the mariner was needed on the west coast because there was a real demand for it. That as of right now they are not making any announcements about who will take the place but to hang on because they will announce something shortly. I was totally surprised by the phone call to be honest but I think its great that they took the time to answer me so personally

It's really great how RCCL people will phone in response to letters and emails.

It's really great how RCCL people will phone in response to letters and emails.
I agree. It was very considerate for someone like Adam Goldstein, or Richard Fain to take the time to respond. The certainly didn't have to do that. But that is only one reason that I have stayed with RCI. They do care what their customers think, even if we don't agree with their decisions.

For one, I cannot see myself on another cruise line, whatever port they go out of. I simply have a personal preference for Port Canaveral.

Like I said I only sent one email to each but I do not think anyone should be afraid to send one. As in any product whether its something we buy or do (like cruising) if the higher ups are not made aware of a problem then it cannot be fixed. I am a firm believer in at least telling them in a respectful way what is that makes me unhappy.

For instance we just got off the enchantment. We had done a group cruise and dinner at chops was included...well thats true except we were only allowed a limited menu (3 dinner choices, 2 appetizers, etc). I would rather they gave me a credit than that, whats the point of going to chops if you cant enjoy it...anyway when I got back I did send an email to RCCL and they were great in getting back to me about the whole issue. Again, if you dont tell them there is a problem then it cant be fixed

RCCL will and continues to be my cruise line of choice. I do sail other lines because of friends, etc but I would always choose rccl over any other...trying to get that diamond plus status before the genesis lol...I mean wouldnt it be nice to get invited to the pre-inaugural for that!

I have been following this thread and have to pipe up and comment. We all know that you love and adore the Mariner. Being on the west coast we have been patiently waiting for a long, long time for RCI to place a larger ship than the Monarch, which we west coasters love and the Vision which is getting a little old. WE ARE SO EXCITED THAT WE ARE FINALLY GETTING THE MARINER OUT HERE THAT WE JUST ABOUT JUMPED OUT OF OUR SKIN AND ARE JUMPING UP AND DOWN WITH JOY!!! We will take very good care of her and a lot of us are already booking 2009 with excitement. Just check the roll calls for 2 years away.

Personally although we know you are sad to lose your favorite ship and hope that you get another you can sail and love just as much but I can't help but feel a little annoyed that with all your choices of ports and ships out of Florida that you would begrudge us ONE ship. I was just in FLL and MIA for some training and you all have so many choices. We have two ports in So Cal, San Diego and LA. We jump on any ship doing a repo just to get another chance to sail.

I am sure you will get something nice. Please, please....all seems a bit greedy to me.... Sorry if I offended some of you. I thought all us RCI friends and fans were family...no matter what coast we live on. I am dissapointed.

Joe and Nancy, I completely agree with you and I don't care if I offend anyone when I say that they're acting like babies because they're missing one ship. We have the Monarch and the Vision out here and I think it's time we get a larger one. Grow up and go the "extra mile" to the next port. It's not like you have to travel all day to get there like we would.

I have to agree with Nancy and Misty. We have been waiting YEARS on the West Coast for a larger ship. With all the ports and ships on the East Coast, please don't begrudge us finally getting ONE. The excitement has been so high over here, that I have read that some cabins are already waitlisted for cruises 2 years away! I am sure you at PC will get another ship. Try to show some of the patience us West Coasters have had to show for many, many years.;)

Norman I agree with you about Port Canaveral being an easier drive than Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. We live outside Cincinnati and we were going to go on Liberty of the Seas out of Miami but found the 9 night Explorer of the Seas cruise out of New Jersey which will be much closer.

I just wish that the executives would fess up and admit they made a few mistakes because in thousand's of cruisers eyes they did just that. On another note sending Mariner to California is a mistake Mexican iteneraries are showing flat Growth. Alaska and Europe are the grouth markets and even the Caribbean is going faster than the Mexican Rivera

I'd like to see some actual statistics to back up that statement. Disney had no trouble - non - selling out every Mexican Riviera cruise a couple of summers ago because they had a destination ship. Right now the only ships sailing in the summer are the Monarch (I love her, but she's an older gal and only does 3/4 nights), Carnival's Paradise (also 3/4 nights) and Pride for 7, but she's a pretty worn-out looking thing (haven't sailed her and am only judging the book by her cover). So I hardly think you can call it a mistake to put a ship that by all accounts rates as fabulous on the Left Coast.

As Nancy, Misty and Carol said, please don't begrudge us one great ship in LA. Florida has so many port within a couple of hours' drive with so many great RCI ships that I'd think you could spare one for us. Granted, I was hoping for a Radiance class, but I think I'll manage quite nicely with this one!:D

I have been following this thread and have to pipe up and comment. We all know that you love and adore the Mariner. Being on the west coast we have been patiently waiting for a long, long time for RCI to place a larger ship than the Monarch, which we west coasters love and the Vision which is getting a little old. WE ARE SO EXCITED THAT WE ARE FINALLY GETTING THE MARINER OUT HERE THAT WE JUST ABOUT JUMPED OUT OF OUR SKIN AND ARE JUMPING UP AND DOWN WITH JOY!!! We will take very good care of her and a lot of us are already booking 2009 with excitement. Just check the roll calls for 2 years away.

Personally although we know you are sad to lose your favorite ship and hope that you get another you can sail and love just as much but I can't help but feel a little annoyed that with all your choices of ports and ships out of Florida that you would begrudge us ONE ship. I was just in FLL and MIA for some training and you all have so many choices. We have two ports in So Cal, San Diego and LA. We jump on any ship doing a repo just to get another chance to sail.

I am sure you will get something nice. Please, please....all seems a bit greedy to me.... Sorry if I offended some of you. I thought all us RCI friends and fans were family...no matter what coast we live on. I am dissapointed.

Gosh, you summed up pretty much what I have been wanting to say!!! The options in CA for the past several years have sucked!! We were due :D

###

I agree with all you West Coasters.................like I said,I wont stop cruising RCCL even I have to drive"ALL THE WAY" to Miami.........at least it is still in my state.........that and Ft Lauderdale and Tampa in the winter.........

Granted PC is my favorite port since it is so close and I love staying in Cocoa beach,but thems the breaks!:p

I agree with all you West Coasters.................like I said,I wont stop cruising RCCL even I have to drive"ALL THE WAY" to Miami.........at least it is still in my state.........that and Ft Lauderdale and Tampa in the winter.........

Granted PC is my favorite port since it is so close and I love staying in Cocoa beach,but thems the breaks!:p

Thanks for supporting us West Coasters over here! We love Royal Caribbean and cruising too!!!!:)

Thanks, Kathy! Either way I have to fly, but I would rather fly 3 hours to LA on one plane in the same time zone, then fly all day on at least 2 planes to Florida, with a 3 hour time difference. It is just not affordable for a family of 4 to do that. From Vancouver to Florida, it is at least $800 each.:eek: It really wasn't fair leaving nothing but the Monarch 3/4 nighters in LA in the summer from RCI for years. I have sailed on the Carnival Pride, and really didn't want to do so again.:rolleyes:

I'd like to see some actual statistics to back up that statement. Disney had no trouble - non - selling out every Mexican Riviera cruise a couple of summers ago because they had a destination ship. Right now the only ships sailing in the summer are the Monarch (I love her, but she's an older gal and only does 3/4 nights), Carnival's Paradise (also 3/4 nights) and Pride for 7, but she's a pretty worn-out looking thing (haven't sailed her and am only judging the book by her cover). So I hardly think you can call it a mistake to put a ship that by all accounts rates as fabulous on the Left Coast.

As Nancy, Misty and Carol said, please don't begrudge us one great ship in LA. Florida has so many port within a couple of hours' drive with so many great RCI ships that I'd think you could spare one for us. Granted, I was hoping for a Radiance class, but I think I'll manage quite nicely with this one!:D

Do a search on the stats it was posted in Cruise critic. I am not begruding anyone a ship what I am saying is that RCI would have made more $$ shipping that ship to Europe. See the attached quote on the article. I rest my case it is in writing...................

There was an article in the Houston Chronicle Travel Section today that states why RCCL will not have year round sailing out of Galveston.

"Royal Caribbean, a year-round fixture in Galveston since 2002, will switch to a winter-only operation in December, and a recent report in Cruise Week, an industry newsletter, shed light on reasons for the change.

According to Cruise Week, Royal Caribean president Adam Goldstein, in a presentation to travel agents, said 'Our schedule is set through summer of 2009. The opportunities for us in Europe and Alaska in the summer are such that it would be difficult for the Gulf port cities to compete. The big picture is that the European market has worken un in a hugh way both for Europeans themselves cruising and for Americans going over there to cruise. And that's making it harder for the Gulf ports.'

The 2007 Cruise Holidays Travel Trends Survey, which tracked bookings the first quarter of 2007, offers perspective.

About 65 percent of Cruise Holidays agencies nationwide reported increased bookings for European itineraries compared with last year, while only 34 percent cited an increase in reservations for Caribbean cruises. Bookings for cruises to Mexico were about even with those of 2006.

Still, the Caribbean remains the overwhelming No. 1 region for cruise bookings (with seven-day Western Caribbean voyages generating the highest interest). Alaska remains a strong second choice. But agents named as emerging destinations South America, the Baltic area of Europe, Australia/New Zeland, Croatia and the Greek Islands.

On a positive note, Royal Caribbean is positioning its 3,114 passsenger Voyager of the Seas in Galveston for the next two winters. The Voyage is the largest passenger ship ever based in Texas. Also encouraging: Carnival will continue to base its Carnival Conquest and Ecstasy in Galveston year-round."

Just sticking up for the Port Canaveral lovers. You obviously don't care.....Gator I have always loved a good fight and this one is as about as good as it gets. RCI would have been better served sending this ship to Europe there is a lot more money to be made there. The post is here in this thread maybe you should look it up......

This is going to be resolved in the next few weeks. Adam G has so stated and I am willing to rest and wait. Our inputs have made a difference. I stand up and fight for what I believe is right. There are some in here that take offense to that and yet they cry harder and louder when the shoe is on the other foot. How else can they get to 8000+ posts?

Gosh, you summed up pretty much what I have been wanting to say!!! The options in CA for the past several years have sucked!! We were due :D

###

The west coast was long past due on a nicer and larger ship. RCI did the right thing in moving the Mariner west. Glad to see you guys get it. :)

Archived