"RCCL needs to Keep Voyager or Freedom class in Port Canaveral!!

As a famous "left coaster" Rodney once said, can't we all get along.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Personally, I have never said, "Move the Mariner back to Port Canaveral where it belongs." RCI has made a decision to move Mariner to LA. Great. Congratulations to those that have worked so hard for that to happen. I've sailed on her twice, and loved both trips, as I'm sure all who have booked a cruise on her after her move to LA will.

My only point to sending just 1 E-mail to Adam Goldstein and Richard Fain was nothing more than to request another ship be placed in Port Canaveral to take Mariner's place.

I agree, the options for cruises on the West coast were not very good. But after looking back through the previous posts, it looks like the main focus here was to replace the Mariner at Port Canaveral, not return her to Port Canaveral.

This is going to be resolved in the next few weeks. Adam G has so stated and I am willing to rest and wait. Our inputs have made a difference. I stand up and fight for what I believe is right. There are some in here that take offense to that and yet they cry harder and louder when the shoe is on the other foot. How else can they get to 8000+ posts?

Im sorry.I have to disagree with you........Gordon doesnt get to 8000+post by crying harder and louder........in fact,I know I dont and i have more posts than him.......the real post count is the total of the number under each name PLUS the total on the side........I didnt get 17,000 posts complaining.......

besides what does post count matter??It has nothing to do with the topic.....

offtopic.gif

Congrats to all of the west coasters for getting the Mariner. She is a beautiful ship with a great crew. I have to fly whether the ship is in Florida or California, getting up early for a 6:00 a.m. flight no matter where the ship is. Ah, the joys of living in Connecticut.

Again, congrats and take good care of her.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa!! One of my points is that maybe if we had the larger ship, more people would cruise Mexico. :)

I bet you're right................That is one itinerary we want to do..........

This is so much fun. It's a year and a half until the Mariner leaves for the west coast. The itinerary for the Mexican Riviera is posted. The only thing we're waiting on for the Mariner is when and how she's going to get there.

It's interesting how many (well, maybe just a few) are trying to tell RCI how to run their business. I assume those folks own a significant number of shares in the company. If not that, then they should have their resumes submitted to become the next president of the company.

The west coast deserves a Voyager class ship. It's about time they got one. Odds are there will be a replacement in Port Canaveral that will make everyone happy. Until then all the speculation, lamenting, whining, gnashing of teeth, emails and phone calls don't really mean anything except to make folks feel important.

RCI will announce what they plan to do when they're ready.

All for now.

Do a search on the stats it was posted in Cruise critic. I am not begruding anyone a ship what I am saying is that RCI would have made more $$ shipping that ship to Europe. See the attached quote on the article. I rest my case it is in writing...................

There was an article in the Houston Chronicle Travel Section today that states why RCCL will not have year round sailing out of Galveston.

"Royal Caribbean, a year-round fixture in Galveston since 2002, will switch to a winter-only operation in December, and a recent report in Cruise Week, an industry newsletter, shed light on reasons for the change.

According to Cruise Week, Royal Caribean president Adam Goldstein, in a presentation to travel agents, said 'Our schedule is set through summer of 2009. The opportunities for us in Europe and Alaska in the summer are such that it would be difficult for the Gulf port cities to compete. The big picture is that the European market has worken un in a hugh way both for Europeans themselves cruising and for Americans going over there to cruise. And that's making it harder for the Gulf ports.'

The 2007 Cruise Holidays Travel Trends Survey, which tracked bookings the first quarter of 2007, offers perspective.

About 65 percent of Cruise Holidays agencies nationwide reported increased bookings for European itineraries compared with last year, while only 34 percent cited an increase in reservations for Caribbean cruises. Bookings for cruises to Mexico were about even with those of 2006.

Still, the Caribbean remains the overwhelming No. 1 region for cruise bookings (with seven-day Western Caribbean voyages generating the highest interest). Alaska remains a strong second choice. But agents named as emerging destinations South America, the Baltic area of Europe, Australia/New Zeland, Croatia and the Greek Islands.

On a positive note, Royal Caribbean is positioning its 3,114 passsenger Voyager of the Seas in Galveston for the next two winters. The Voyage is the largest passenger ship ever based in Texas. Also encouraging: Carnival will continue to base its Carnival Conquest and Ecstasy in Galveston year-round."

Cruises that are "even with 2006 bookings" doesn't necessarily mean that they are going down! In fact, most sailings to the Mexican Riviera go full! It is hard to increase bookings to the MR if there are only a few ships doing that route!

Just remember, the Independence is coming to Ft. Lauderdale in 2008. They will need to move ships again when that occurs. Then comes Genesis in 2009. Also, and it must be said, Disney has ordered two new ships which will ultimately be berthed in Port Canaveral. Seems like a very appropriate time to have a Voyager-class move to the West Coast!:D

I certainly support Critterchick, Dirtgirl, and all of the other CA posters here!

I am sad to see the Mariner go but it is nice for the West Coast. They are getting a wonderful ship. We have sailed her twice out of Port Canaveral and we be going again next April on her. I love going out of Port Canaveral. We drive down from Virginia. It is an easy drive and a very easy port to navigate. I sure hope they put a Voyager class ship or one of the new Freedom class ships there.

Maybe we will go to the West Coast and sail the Mariner???? I have thought about Mexico but never found a ship that grabbed me.

I am sad to see the Mariner go but it is nice for the West Coast. They are getting a wonderful ship. We have sailed her twice out of Port Canaveral and we be going again next April on her. I love going out of Port Canaveral. We drive down from Virginia. It is an easy drive and a very easy port to navigate. I sure hope they put a Voyager class ship or one of the new Freedom class ships there.

Maybe we will go to the West Coast and sail the Mariner???? I have thought about Mexico but never found a ship that grabbed me.

And that's the problem, the Monarch and the Vision don't grab people like a Radiance or Voyager class would. Personally, I was hoping for one of the the Radiance class but am very excited about getting the Mariner. :)

A few years ago I did the Mexican ports on the Diamond Princess because I just didn't want to do the Vision. Plus the price was less on Princess.

For all of us here on the east coast remember, we have 1 more Freedom class ship coming and the Genesis class is going to be here too. RCI is a business and they have the opportunity to make money in California espcially if they put an exciting and newer ship there. They deserve a great ship and the Mariner fits the bill. Enjoy!

Lisa

You guys are incredible. Since joining CC a few days ago, my husband and I have been sending about 150 emails to each other every few seconds trying to find another cruise to go on. All of the reviews are so great and now we HAVE to go on Mariner! I have no idea when we can fit it in (or where all this vacation time comes from) but I have to get on there now!!

We do a lot of shorter cruises and, as of yet, haven't been on anything larger than a Sovereign class (although we have been on all 3 of them), but we're counting the days to Enchantment! (with another pitstop on Majesty in July).

Does anyone know if Becky and Captain Johnny will still be on Mariner in August 2008?

We find this discussion quite interesting as it appears that most posters feel that having a convenient departure port is very important. Nevertheless, Royal Caribbean seems to be sailing in a different direction with its mega ship concept. Bigger seems to be better in RCCL's view.

Personally, we would have preferred that they add a few more Radiance and Voyager class ship rather than expand the Freedom fleet or enter into the Genisus project, as there would be more ships to service more departure ports.

It would be great to have ships sailing full-time from Galveston and New Orleans. But, with the budding European and Asian market and the trend toward larger ships these and a few other US departure ports are bound to suffer.

Cruises that are "even with 2006 bookings" doesn't necessarily mean that they are going down! In fact, most sailings to the Mexican Riviera go full! It is hard to increase bookings to the MR if there are only a few ships doing that route!

Just remember, the Independence is coming to Ft. Lauderdale in 2008. They will need to move ships again when that occurs. Then comes Genesis in 2009. Also, and it must be said, Disney has ordered two new ships which will ultimately be berthed in Port Canaveral. Seems like a very appropriate time to have a Voyager-class move to the West Coast!:D

I certainly support Critterchick, Dirtgirl, and all of the other CA posters here!

I don't think that the west coasters are correctly intepreting the main theme of a great many of the posts on this thread. The theme of the thread (and why I started it) was NOT TO BEGRUDGE you a Voyager class ship on the west coast although we will miss the Mariner because it was such a great ship. The central idea of the thread is to show support for replacing Mariner in Port Canaveral. If RCCL replaces the ship with a Freedom, Genesis or another Voyager class, it will have no effect on your getting the Mariner in 2009 on the West Coast.

I don't think that the west coasters are correctly intepreting the main theme of a great many of the posts on this thread. The theme of the thread (and why I started it) was NOT TO BEGRUDGE you a Voyager class ship on the west coast although we will miss the Mariner because it was such a great ship. The central idea of the thread is to show support for replacing Mariner in Port Canaveral. If RCCL replaces the ship with a Freedom, Genesis or another Voyager class, it will have no effect on your getting the Mariner in 2009 on the West Coast.

Thank you for posting this. That was the impression I got as well from your initial post.

As I have posted earlier in this thread, I hate to see the Mariner leave, for various reasons that I have already stated.

I can understand how incredibly excited the west coasters are. I hope they can understand how sad we are.

The purpose of this thread was to show that there is support for RCI to keep a larger ship in PC, as it is a port that most people seem to enjoy sailing from. That's all.

I really don't think there is need for name calling or arguing here, if the posters are all supporting the same thing.

JMHO.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Personally, I have never said, "Move the Mariner back to Port Canaveral where it belongs." RCI has made a decision to move Mariner to LA. Great. Congratulations to those that have worked so hard for that to happen. I've sailed on her twice, and loved both trips, as I'm sure all who have booked a cruise on her after her move to LA will.

My only point to sending just 1 E-mail to Adam Goldstein and Richard Fain was nothing more than to request another ship be placed in Port Canaveral to take Mariner's place.

I agree, the options for cruises on the West coast were not very good. But after looking back through the previous posts, it looks like the main focus here was to replace the Mariner at Port Canaveral, not return her to Port Canaveral.

Thank You

I could not have said it better myself. All I want is the question answered Are you (RCI) going to replace Mariner regardless of ship or month I just want a yes or no. Some like to blow that way out of proportion but it all boils down to a yes or no question Again thanks :D

Im sorry.I have to disagree with you........Gordon doesnt get to 8000+post by crying harder and louder........in fact,I know I dont and i have more posts than him.......the real post count is the total of the number under each name PLUS the total on the side........I didnt get 17,000 posts complaining.......

besides what does post count matter??It has nothing to do with the topic.....

offtopic.gif

LOL You are not a complainer at all you are more analytical and give less flamboyant feedback. I do want to congratulate those on the west coast on finally getting a big ship. That has never been the issue and the W/C deserves something good once in a while. The topic at hand has gotten out of hand lol. I have been in contact with RCI (They called me)and I was advised that Port Canaveral is in the works for another ship. The schedules are dependant on the new builds being released to RCI, The work at PC being completed and a few variables that RCI has no control over. Once I had that answer I was satisfied and no longer have a reason to continue asking. PC is going to get a suitable replacement. There are just to many variables to say when. But 2009 is the year :D

We find this discussion quite interesting as it appears that most posters feel that having a convenient departure port is very important. Nevertheless, Royal Caribbean seems to be sailing in a different direction with its mega ship concept. Bigger seems to be better in RCCL's view.

Personally, we would have preferred that they add a few more Radiance and Voyager class ship rather than expand the Freedom fleet or enter into the Genisus project, as there would be more ships to service more departure ports.

It would be great to have ships sailing full-time from Galveston and New Orleans. But, with the budding European and Asian market and the trend toward larger ships these and a few other US departure ports are bound to suffer.

Good idea here Build 3 radiance class for the price of one Genesis. One has to wonder when big gets to be to big. More ships = more choices from more ports. Nicely stated :D

Thanks too

Thank You

I could not have said it better myself. All I want is the question answered Are you (RCI) going to replace Mariner regardless of ship or month I just want a yes or no. Some like to blow that way out of proportion but it all boils down to a yes or no question Again thanks :D

NO replacement for Mariner in Port Canaveral for the short term in 2009. See the article at http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/ :(

Could not have been said better.

I agree very well said...they came and read what they wanted and not what was really being said.

I am not going to go back through ALL the posts to find the comments but there were some that plainly stated that they didn't think she belonged on the West Coast and that she wouldn't be appreciated and we didn't deserve her. I think those were the ones that put a spur in my *butt*...LOL I do realize that most of you just want a ship in PC and will miss your Mariner. I just felt it was rude and greedy that some thought we didn't deserve a nice ship out here and that we wouldn't appreciate and take care of her ludicrous!:eek:

Wow, step away from the boards for a month and all heck breaks loose! I can't believe I'm losing my beloved Mariner! I was on the fence about sailing her next spring break, thought I might like to try a change... No way. Back to the Mariner. Who cares if it will be my 4th straight year sailing the western caribbean!?!?!?!?

NO replacement for Mariner in Port Canaveral for the short term in 2009. See the article at http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/ :(

OHCruisinDad-You just stole my thunder....just read this and was wondering why no one had flipped out over this........guess most of us were wrong-but it looks like RCI is waiting for Genesis to come out in the Fall of '09-then they could move a Freedom ship to PC,still have one Freedom ship PLUS a new Genesis ship in Miami.....

Big Al

And that's the problem, the Monarch and the Vision don't grab people like a Radiance or Voyager class would. Personally, I was hoping for one of the the Radiance class but am very excited about getting the Mariner. :)

You guys will love the Mariner. She is an AWESOME ship. I couldn't even believe what I saw when I walked on her the first time and saw that Promenade area. WOW! Enjoy her. Maybe we will come sale on her out west.

Archived