Question about Cabin Showers

Solo Cruiser

I will try to put this as delicately as possible. On my previous cruises the showers were tiny, very tiny. Now that could be a relativity issue as I'm not tiny. Are the showers on HAL, particularly in the inside cabins very small? Will an extra fluffy, middle-aged woman be able to use them easily? Do the shower curtains billow out unless secured by clipping on a pack of clothes pins? Any insight will be helpful, thanks.

Not to worry. I take inside cabins, with shower only, all the time. They are generous in size---even for a generously proportioned woman like me. :D

The curtain can billow, but isn't too bad. If you're careful about having it inside the rim in the first place you shouldn't have a problem with it. I think (but won't swear) that there are weights holding the curtain down.

Most of the showers are small on cruise ships and they all seem to have very "friendly" shower curtains. I've found that a single clothes pin works well enough to keep the curtain a comfortable distance away. The absolute worst shower I've found was on Princess - they placed the "grab bar" in such a manner that it's like trying to shower with another person in there with you! (not that that's a bad thing, it's just not real convenient when you're trying to get ready:rolleyes: )

I just read on another thread that the showers in the gym are much larger than in the cabin, so you might want to check that out - bring your toiletries with you and enjoy a lot more shower space than in your cabin. You might want to bring along a lightweight dress or cotton pantsuit to wear to and from, rather than parading around the ship in your bathrobe.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

You stole my thunder shower. I used the Princess men's locker room just about everyday. Large sized. The dry sauna was right there, nice, all the sweet smelling shampoo and soap and you use as much as you can pump. Never was there a 2nd person in the 4 showers. They were dry so I doubt they were used very often. Lots of towels, my own spa experience.

And the cabin showers are fitted with wall-mounted, but detachable, hand-held shower heads. You can move the holder up or down, tilt it, and adjust the spray pattern, too. There is an outside, fabric curtain, and an inside, vinyl liner. Although I found the curtain didn't billow often, you could secure it to the 3" high metal panel that goes across the bottom of the stall (at the front, to keep the water in) with a magnet or magnetic clip--like the ones used to hold pictures on the front of the fridge. All in all, the only slight problem can be if your neighbor activates the vacuum-toilet while you are showering--temperature changes happen!!

Hey, what's wrong with billowing shower curtains!;) You, a couple of candles, the chairman of the board in the background, warm water and a shower curtain that billows.....................................Life is good!;) My God, I've been out in the sun too long!:eek: :eek:

Hey, what's wrong with billowing shower curtains!;) You, a couple of candles, the chairman of the board in the background, warm water and a shower curtain that billows.....................................Life is good!;) My God, I've been out in the sun too long!:eek: :eek:

LOL!! And isn't that why we are on vacation? To have FUN??!!?

I will try to put this as delicately as possible. On my previous cruises the showers were tiny, very tiny. Now that could be a relativity issue as I'm not tiny. Are the showers on HAL, particularly in the inside cabins very small? Will an extra fluffy, middle-aged woman be able to use them easily? Do the shower curtains billow out unless secured by clipping on a pack of clothes pins? Any insight will be helpful, thanks.

Our shower was in a tub - so large. I could be wrong but I believe most cabins on HAL have full baths with tub/shower.

Our shower was in a tub - so large. I could be wrong but I believe most cabins on HAL have full baths with tub/shower.
HAL has shower only in the Inside cabins. Me - I'm looking forward to the day has shower only in 25-50% of the outside cabins. My short legs don't like crawling over the high rim of the tub and DH now has balance issues that make if difficult for his long legs getting in/out of the tub.

Thanks for the responses. I got such a chuckle out of the billowing shower curtain as shipboard fun answer. And the parading around in the robe thing YIKES not me LOL. But very helpful info. I will make plans to use the showers associated with the work out area. I never even thought of going to the gym and using their showers but it sounds like a great idea.

I am, dare I say it, a large man. and I fit in the HAL showers very easily. I remeber a shower I had in a hotel in Norway. The whole bathroom wash the showerr with the drain in the middle of the floor. Yep the toilet and sink where there too.:confused:

I was in that same hotel -- in Bergen, 1975! Not only did everything in the bathroom get wet during a shower, the guy next door to Joan and me was on a drinking binge. He kept trying to unlock our door by mistake. At least I think it was a mistake.

The posts made me laugh about the showers....Was on a cruise in the late 90'

s in Russia...the bathroom was the shower also....made it interesting, thats for sure, lots of room though, kinda could have killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Anyhow, thanks for the shower info also.

Most of the showers are small on cruise ships and they all seem to have very "friendly" shower curtains. I've found that a single clothes pin works well enough to keep the curtain a comfortable distance away. The absolute worst shower I've found was on Princess - they placed the "grab bar" in such a manner that it's like trying to shower with another person in there with you! (not that that's a bad thing, it's just not real convenient when you're trying to get ready:rolleyes: )

"friendly" shower curtains. Well put. I'm still giggling over that one. Oh, so true !!!!! LOL!!! Wendy

I'm FAR from being "generously proportioned" (I stay away from chocolate) but have cruised with folks who are.....most recently the Volendam.

Those folks had no problems in the standard showers. The ventilation is fine, as our the little weights on the bottom of the shower curtain.

I loved our whirlpool in our mini-suite, but that's what I'm used to.

I'm guessing that you'll be just fine, SOLO CRUISER. Have a delightful cruise, kiddo! I'm guessing that you'll enjoy HAL! :)

I used to be much larger than I am now, and yet even when I was larger I still didn't have any trouble with the showers. In fact, I like them better than the shower/tubs because they're much easier to get in and out of. My biggest problem is usually not the width of depth of the showers but with the placement of the showerheads (i.e., too low). However, on HAL's vessels the shower heads (hand-held units, actually) is on a sliding bar that enables one to attenuate it to best suit one's height and other needs. This is wonderful.

Here's a helpful photo:

staterm2.jpg

Thanks so much for the picture revneal! I have been wondering what was in store for me on my December cruise, as my only other experience was with an oceanview cabin, tub and all. I'm booked in 7086 on the Volendam and since it is a shower only cabin, I had envisioned myself squished into a little stall, struggling to get clean. So, thanks again, the picture has eliminated my fears of spending 10 days with a teeny tiny shower. :)

I sure did not realize I could adjust the shower head...slow learner here.

Being short I just always assume being half drown in the shower is normal.

Comparing bathrooms from Celebrity, Princess and HAL, my take on it is that HAL has the most generous bathrooms.

I admit not to experiencing the friendly shower curtain but don't doubt the dratted thing exists.

I think HAL makes the most of the square footage allowed for the bathroom.

I am in agreement that I would like to see walk in showers..dream wish with a built in seat at one end.....rather than the tubs.

For short people or ones with balance problems the high rims on the tub are dangerous.

One plus for an inside cabin...a shower. :)

Haligonian, I was in 7083 on the Volendam. The shower is plenty roomy. I don't have a photo, but I seem to remember that the shower in that cabin was more rectangular than in the standard insides.

We had a balcony on our last cruise, but I found the shower to be nice. Actually, we had the Hydrotherapy Pool and Thermal Suite Package, and while DH was fine in our bath/shower, I preferred the showers provided by the spa. They always had more than enough shampoo (unlike those little shampoo bottles), and TONS of room. Plus the views were amazing, the music was nice, and it was just soooo relaxing after a long day in the spa/gym. Plus, those showers have smoked glass doors (unlike curtains found in the rooms).

Every day I would use my HAL bag, fill it with my after shower clothes and bathing suit, and wear my exercise clothes for a trip to the gym. You can get a locker at the front desk to the spa. I would put my bag in the locker, go work out, come back and change for the hydrotherapy pool, and when I was ready come back, shower, and change. Then I'd go back to my room and dry my hair.

PURE HEAVEN! I can't wait to be on a DAM ship again!!

Archived