How do you pronounce HAL

magictam

I agree......rhymes with Pal but I hardly ever say it that way.

I normally say the letters H, A, L.......rather than HAL.

It is like chalk on a blackboard to my ears when I hear someone say, (when referencing the cruise line)......."I called Holland today......."

Holland is a country. Holland America Line is a cruise line. :)

It's HAL, like HAL in 2001.

On that note, I secretly always hope that when they swipe my card for the last time before I get off the ship that the computer will say "I can't let you do that, Dave..."

It is like chalk on a blackboard to my ears when I hear someone say, (when referencing the cruise line)......."I called Holland today......."

Holland is a country. Holland America Line is a cruise line. :)

Holland is a provence; The Nederlands are/is a country.

Holland is a provence; The Nederlands are/is a country.

Wrongo dongo! The official name of the country is the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Two of that country's provinces are named Noord (North) Hollond and Zuid (South) Holland. Even though the name "The Netherlands" is the official name, the country has been referred to as "Holland" for a long, long time. It is an accepted practise.

Wrongo dongo! The official name of the country is the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Two of that country's provinces are named Noord (North) Hollond and Zuid (South) Holland. Even though the name "The Netherlands" is the official name, the country has been referred to as "Holland" for a long, long time. It is an accepted practise.

The "City by the Bay" has been referred to as "Frisco" for a long, long time also - that doesn't make it "accepted"! ;)

:cool: I will stick by my post/ interpretation.....;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas

Holland is a country. Holland America Line is a cruise line.

Well, it isn't a cruise line.

EVERY Dutch person I have asked about the distinction between Holland and Netherlands (and I have asked many) have all told me no difference.

You say America..... we know what you mean.

You say United States of America.... we know what you mean.

You say Holland....we know what you mean.

You say Holland.....I do not think of a cruise line. And that was my point. :)

And I think most know what I mean. :)

There's a debate going on in my family. Some think it is Howl and others think it's Hall.

I know it’s a silly question, but I wanted to check my ticker and see how much closer I’m getting.

Is your ticker working today? I don't see yours ... or mine ... or anybody else's that's using CC's, I think.:confused: :( Atomica/AAron's from echlforums I do see.)

I must be the odd man out. Whenever I reference Holland America Cruise Line in a conversation with a friend/coworker I always say "Holland America". When I post online I use "HAL" and when I read a post that uses "HAL", I read it as rhymes with pal.

Earlier, someone mentioned HAL of 2001 fame. Any idea how HAL got his name? The number 1 name in computers at that time was IBM. Since they obviously couldn't use IBM, they moved all the letters backward one letter, hence HAL. (Just a little trivia for your next boring cocktail party).

I must be the odd man out. Whenever I reference Holland America Cruise Line in a conversation with a friend/coworker I always say "Holland America". When I post online I use "HAL" and when I read a post that uses "HAL", I read it as rhymes with pal.

My experience is the same.....When I am talking to people in person about cruising I say "Holland America".....Online ,when I am posting, I say HAL because they would know what I mean because chances are we are "chatting" on the Holland America Line board.

You say Holland.....I do not think of a cruise line. And that was my point. :)
I agree. I tend to only use HAL here when typing online. When speaking, I say "Holland America."

The "City by the Bay"...
Well, technically the body of water is an estuary and not a bay. At least that is what we were told on a visit there.

some say tomato (toe may toe) some say tomato (toe ma toe)

some say Washington (Washington) some say Warshington (Washington)

some say creek (creek) some say crick (creek)

you're both right

Earlier, someone mentioned HAL of 2001 fame. Any idea how HAL got his name? The number 1 name in computers at that time was IBM. Since they obviously couldn't use IBM, they moved all the letters backward one letter, hence HAL. (Just a little trivia for your next boring cocktail party).
Sorry, that's often repeated, but wrong. From wikipedia.org:

HAL 9000 (Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer) is a fictional character in Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey saga. The novels, along with two films, begin with 2001: A Space Odyssey, released in 1968.

A common misconception is that the name HAL was based on a one letter shift from the name IBM. However, this has been denied by both Clarke and 2001 director Stanley Kubrick. In 2010: Odyssey Two, Clarke even goes so far as to have a reporter pose the question to Dr. Chandra, who replies, "Utter nonsense! [...] I thought that by now every intelligent person knew that H-A-L is derived from Heuristic ALgorithmic"

Also, from a non-wikipedia source:

The HAL 9000 Computer is a non-human and central character in the film by Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke - 2001: A Space Odyssey.

As the brain of the spaceship Discovery, HAL is a robot that uses the mechanical, sensing, and information systems under its control. HAL is an acronym standing for "Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer." "Heuristic" and "Algorithmic" are two primary processes of intelligence.

p.s. - sorry to have to shoot you down on your very first post ... but welcome to the HAL board anyway! :D

Archived