How do you pronounce HAL

magictam

I must be the odd man out. Whenever I reference Holland America Cruise Line in a conversation with a friend/coworker I always say "Holland America". When I post online I use "HAL" and when I read a post that uses "HAL", I read it as rhymes with pal.

And I'm with you as the odd woman out;) . I never refer to "HAL" except here typing as a shortcut. But as I read, it definitely reads to rhyme with "pal" ... can't imagine any other pronunciation.

Generally I shy away from all acronyms ... think they're a lazy way to speak and way overused.

I agree (of course) with John. In a very short way....in the old days, roughly between 1076 and 1579 there was a "graafschap" - (County?) - with the name Holland.After that it became a province of the Republic of the 7 United Nederlands.

By 1815 it became a part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Nowadays there are still 2 provinces Noord and Zuid Holland, but the "old " name Holland is still often used by tourists.

And about jenever, there are 2 version, jonge and oude, old and young.

Young is less sharp and also used in "mixdrinks".

:D Thanks Ine for your kind post...Rob

I agree (of course) with John. In a very short way....in the old days, roughly between 1076 and 1579 there was a "graafschap" - (County?) - with the name Holland.After that it became a province of the Republic of the 7 United Nederlands.

By 1815 it became a part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Nowadays there are still 2 provinces Noord and Zuid Holland, but the "old " name Holland is still often used by tourists.

And about jenever, there are 2 version, jonge and oude, old and young.

Young is less sharp and also used in "mixdrinks".

Hi Ine, how 'bout a jonge straight up?;) (Can't get them here) Weather getting better in Assen-Delft? E-mail is still coming believe it or not; Been having some e-mail problems. Say hi to Ton:)

Generally I shy away from all acronyms ... think they're a lazy way to speak and way overused.

It's so funny you never use acronyms. I grew up on a military base and all I saw was acronyms (military is famous for them).

One day, when I was driving over the Kolekole Pass at Schofield I noticed a sign that said D.I.P. I immediately called my dad to see what it meant as I was approaching a practice firing range. As I was asking him what D.I.P. meant my car bottomed out on a Dip in the road. To this day I have never lived it down. :p

For this reason. I try not to use acronyms unless I'm typing something. :D

One day, when I was driving over the Kolekole Pass at Schofield I noticed a sign that said D.I.P. I immediately called my dad to see what it meant as I was approaching a practice firing range. As I was asking him what D.I.P. meant my car bottomed out on a Dip in the road. To this day I have never lived it down. :p

Mary, I love it!!!:D See the trouble it can get you in?

Hi Ine, how 'bout a jonge straight up?;) (Can't get them here) Weather getting better in Assen-Delft? E-mail is still coming believe it or not; Been having some e-mail problems. Say hi to Ton:)

John,

Do you mean you are having problems with e-mail from the Netherlands?....or e-mail from anywhere?

The reason I ask is that I had a lot of questions in my last e-mail to you and I never heard back.

Of course, if I am being a pest , I will understand if you don't write back.:) I do get obsessive sometimes.:o

John,

Do you mean you are having problems with e-mail from the Netherlands?....or e-mail from anywhere?

The reason I ask is that I had a lot of questions in my last e-mail to you and I never heard back.

Of course, if I am being a pest , I will understand if you don't write back.:) I do get obsessive sometimes.:o

Sean, can you send it again - Had some problems receiving and sending e-mails

:D My spelling sucks, I know that. I never learned to type either. I obviously do not comprehend all the niceties and protocol of these boards....:D Rob...

Rob,

Actually, the protocol of the boards is not to point out spelling or grammar errors or we would all be called out at one time or another, so it's on me, but I certainly never meant to offend. It's just that your particular spelling fit so well with the way the thread had gone to that point(waaaaaaayyy off topic, as I recall :D ), morphing into a discussion about place names, and I couldn't help but notice that you had actually written provence, which I have visited and enjoyed very much. Good rose wine, but not much gin as I recall!

My post was meant in the spirit of fun, much along the lines of a thread a while ago where someone, I forget who, missed a comma in his post listing common complaints, and we all fell about concerning smoking diapers in the pool.

Dave

Y'all are a hoot!

Who would have ever imagined one little question resulting in 3 pages of answers?

I guess it's not only how you would pronounce it, but what accent you speak with. Cuz in my little world HOWL rhymes with PAL. I never thought of using that method as an example.

I also don't believe there is a correct pronunciation of it, as it is a acronym. Who amongst us can truly say what the correct pronunciation should be?

I've enjoyed the posts!

Y'all are a hoot!

I also don't believe there is a correct pronunciation of it, as it is a acronym. Who amongst us can truly say what the correct pronunciation should be?

I've enjoyed the posts!

That was my original thought.....how does one pronounce something that isn't even a word?

Cuz in my little world HOWL rhymes with PAL.
Linguistically, it rhymes only if you pronounce it "powel." :D

...how does one pronounce something that isn't even a word?
Oh, but it IS a word. A male given name, a form of Harold.

Fellow HAL loves,

My last name is CANADA (you know the country North of our Border) and do you know I have been called a fungus candidias, asked to spell it, asked if I live there, asked if it is CANADAY, called CANDADA..

HAL is simply Hal the name we love to dream about when sailing away on the deep blue sea.

Linda

Rob,

Actually, the protocol of the boards is not to point out spelling or grammar errors or we would all be called out at one time or another, so it's on me, but I certainly never meant to offend. It's just that your particular spelling fit so well with the way the thread had gone to that point(waaaaaaayyy off topic, as I recall :D ), morphing into a discussion about place names, and I couldn't help but notice that you had actually written provence, which I have visited and enjoyed very much. Good rose wine, but not much gin as I recall!

My post was meant in the spirit of fun, much along the lines of a thread a while ago where someone, I forget who, missed a comma in his post listing common complaints, and we all fell about concerning smoking diapers in the pool.

Dave

:cool: As an old "Middy" [class of 1954] how could I ever take offense to anything a "Mustang" might say? It was a Mustang Exec aboard DD694 that kept me above water when I had the CON....My post was directed elsewhere....AH...the Rose of Provence...My wifes favorite wine but up here on the Island it is not available...She especially likes the bottles that have the traditional shape similar to "Mrs. Butterworths' syrup"...Go figure....Thanks for the Hailing Mustang....Rob.:D

Sun is shining and still waiting......

Hal is a word....a name.....HAL....three caps is not.:)

But capitalization is such a personal thing here on CC -

SOME POST IN ALL CAPS.

Some Simply Capitalize Each Word.

and some belong to the e e cummings school of capitalization

:rolleyes:

I usually pronounce acronyms as words if they make a word or near to one.

Um, Judy? If it doesn't make a pronounceable word then it isn't an acronym:

"ac·ro·nym (ăk'rə-nĭm') n.

A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging."

[American Heritage Dictionary]

Otherwise, it's just an abbreviation.

;)

Sometimes I say ...dam (Hoover Dam) and sometimes I say ...dom (like the name Don, but with an m), depending on which ship I'm mentioning. What is the 'correct' pronounciation?

Hoping this does not open up ANOTHER can of worms.

Sometimes I say ...dam (Hoover Dam) and sometimes I say ...dom (like the name Don, but with an m), depending on which ship I'm mentioning. What is the 'correct' pronounciation?

Strictly speaking it should be dom as in Dominick ... and strictly speaking the ships should be called Vain-dom, Foal-en-dom, Om-ster-dom, (and the car should be Folks-voggen), etc ... But hardly anyone except the crew ever pronouces them that way. Do you want to be correct, or in the majority? :D

Strictly speaking it should be dom as in Dominick ... and strictly speaking the ships should be called Vain-dom, Foal-en-dom, Om-ster-dom, (and the car should be Folks-voggen), etc ... But hardly anyone except the crew ever pronouces them that way. Do you want to be correct, or in the majority? :D

The heck with the majority - let's do it the way we want to - since I always use "dom", that's obviously :D the correct way. Oh, and if you're from northern California, San Francisco is usually just called "the city". Nancy

Archived