Princess Bedding

southbayer

We have been on 11 cruises with Princess & have never asked for an egg crate, nor have we ever had a problem with the mattresses, so we are not sure what all the fuss is about:) My friend who is a travel agent told us if we ever did have a problem ask the room steward to replace the mattress or go to the purser's desk as they handle the "hotel" side of the ship:D SWEET DREAMS!!

Can someone put this subject to rest - Is Princess Bedding that horrible ? Am I in for a lousy night's rest ? Do they offer egg crates, does this make it better ??
I am confused by your posting and others responses. Your post clearly is asking about bedding. However, a majority of the responses are about the beds.

Would you like to know about bedding or the beds?

I must be dense....if the bedding (mattresses) are that bad...why cruise with this line and not Carnival where the mattresses are supposed to be wonderful. On my Princess cruises, I have not encountered any "bad" mattresses...always got a good night's sleep.

You have a point. We raved about how comfortable the beds were on our Carnival Legend cruise in Feb., 2007. I assumed that Princes would switch to the same bedding when we booked Grand Princess for Feb., 2008. If Princess doesn't improve their bedding there is no reason to book Princess again.

I have a great collection of sunrise photos taken from Princess balconies because my back couldn't take the bed any longer.

You have a point. We raved about how comfortable the beds were on our Carnival Legend cruise in Feb., 2007. I assumed that Princes would switch to the same bedding when we booked Grand Princess for Feb., 2008. If Princess doesn't improve their bedding there is no reason to book Princess again.

I have a great collection of sunrise photos taken from Princess balconies because my back couldn't take the bed any longer.

Carnival bedding is wonderful. However, that would not keep me from Princess. No big deal. We just get a tiopper. My husband has a very bad back and has no problem. The bed is not the reason we cruise. I would rather cruise Princess any day over Carnival. :D

The mattress on our first cruise on the Star Princess was definitely "elcheapo" as we say in my family. It was thin and offered little support. I loved the cruise but hated not getting a restful night's sleep and beingso uncomfortable. I'm female and sleep on my stomach or back which means it puts my back out if the mattress is too flimsey. One positive note..I couldn't wait to get out of bed in the morning. I though about bringing an air mattress and asking them to take the Princess mattress away.

The second cruise was only four nights on the Coral..same mattress.

We are leaving on the Dawn Princess later this month for a ten day cruise. Its nice to know that I can always switch to Carnivale to get a good night's sleep.

What is an Egg crate, and with so many asking do they run out... Thinking how do they store so many of these things?

Yes they do run out. Even asking for one immediately on arrival does not guarantee you will get one....but it is the best way. I keep hearing about the mattresses on the CB being replaced....is this happening yet?

We just got off the Grand last week. We had a balcony cabin on Aloha deck. We had faxed a request for an egg crate and down pillows but the egg crate wasn't on when we arrived but we did have 2 pillows each, one flatter hard one and one nice fluffy one. I'm not sure if it was down but it felt comparable. Our steward put the egg crate on for our first night. The linens were nice soft high thread count and since we found the duvet a bit warm we also asked for a top sheet as well. We both slept very well for 12 nights with no aches and pains. We have a tempurpedic mattress at home so we are spoiled but the mattress with egg crate was fine.

We had also heard the many horror stories re: the beds on Princess - especially on the Grand. We have sailed on the Star and the Sapphire and were just on the Grand in April - we had no complaints on any ship re: mattress comfort - as for the new bedding, we got to experience that on the Grand and it was wonderful - the new duvets are great.:)

The best beds on the high seas are Holland America.....:p

The Diamond Princess has wonderful beds and bedding. I've had 4 back surgeries and slept very well when we cruised! :)

Thats great news to hear me, and DH, and 2 friends will be on the Diamond Princess this oct. we were on the celebrity/Mercury the bed was bad, worn out. it must be good now, went on dry dock.

We will be on our 6th Princess cruise in July and we have never had a problem with the beds. 3 of those cruises were on the Sun Princess and we slept fine...mattress might have been a bit firmer than at home but we had no problems.

FYI-I actually wrote a letter to Princess after a cruise on the Caribbean Princess a few years ago telling them how terrible the beds were. First time I have done something like this, so you know they had to be really bad.

They responded with the suggestion to 'ask for an egg crate' the next cruise. So, they must get a lot of complaints about the mattress' supplied.

Many confuse the 'bedding' with the actual beds I think after reading some of the threads. The new duvets and pillows are great, but what good is a great comforter set placed on top of a terrible, lumpy, hard as a rock mattress?

This thread just prooves how subjective the issue of mattress comfort really is. A couple of years ago, Consumer Reports did a mattress comparison and review. They struggled with their rankings. Even some of the most expensive mattresses money could buy were rated as uncomfortable by some people. They also looked at tempurpedic and sleep number mattresses and had people test them for several months. Half loved them and half hated them.

With that said, we were on the Grand last year and had no problem with the mattress. We slept very well for 12 nights.

Can someone put this subject to rest - Is Princess Bedding that horrible ?

I don't know - I've never even met one, let alone....................:eek: Pretty expensive hobby, I'd have thought.

It took a few seconds for me to "get it", but it's actually very clever!

I've cruised many times with Princess, and the beds are certainly not what I have at home. However, I've tried other lines, and Princess is definitely my top pick for overall cruise experience. I guess it depends on your priorities.

With all the $ they spend on egg crate covers, why don't they just replace the mattresses? :confused: If I FAX Princess to request an egg crate, is it okay if I FAX them now (4 months before cruise) or should I wait until close to my sailing date. I don't want to seem too high falutin' :cool: The mattress issue doesn't really concern me that much, but if an egg crate is offered, I might as well take advantage of it. I use them at home also.

Sleeping with a Princess.......I get it! That is what you meant isn't it?

I think I'm too old for conversations about mattress's!

When I get home from work show me the recliner; the couch or the bed and as long as I can be horizontal, I'm a happy camper! Although some of the beds have not been so terrific....I always slept....you know...the motion of the ocean thing!!!!!!

The only thing that turns me off are the beds that are more like "cots"....you know the ones with the "fold-up" legs! Had one of these on Celebrity.....what a shock! If you leaned on it, it literally traveled across the room! Even an "egg-crate" wouldn't have helped!

Beds: 1 - 10 (10 being best)

Carnival - 9

Celebrity - 2

HAL - 10++++

NCL - 4

Princess - 9

Regent - 10

One thing to note is that Carnival and HAL cruiselines show their beds on their websites and they are so good that they are selling them online. Can't say that for Princess.

Apparently after reading everyone's posts on their experience some are use to sleeping on what the rest of us think are terrible mattresses. I'm use to sleeping on a pillowtop mattress and Carnival was equal to home but Princess was equal to our now adult child's old bed of 23 years old that is lumpy, feel the springs, and the crevices. I have only been in non-suites on Princess and I have heard the suites have been replaced with new mattresses so maybe alot of these people had suites?

Archived