An adventure dealing with Azamara Journey

Jancruz

As a TA I want to see how Journey handles its reservations and clients so my daughters and I are going on Journey September 1, to "compare" to Oceania (the cruiseline AZA want so badly to copy)

First experience:

We booked our reservations on deck 7 Category 1A bought $199 air from cruise line from Los Angeles to Newark round trip..one of my agents called res yesterday and was told we were on a red eye with1 stop..so asked for a non-stop red eye and was told it would be $500 in addition to the $50 deviation fee AND in addition to the $199 we have already paid..now here is my problem with them ...since non stop air from LA to EWR (round trip)is only $383 on almost every airline..I am confused why AZA wants so much additional money making the air $749 from LA..in my mind, that is the 1st strike against Aza..

Jan

As a TA I want to see how Journey handles its reservations and clients so my daughters and I going on Journey September 1, to "compare" to Oceania (the cruiseline AZA want so badly to copy)

First experience:

We booked our reservations on deck 7 Category 1A bought $199 air from cruise line from Los Angeles to Newark round trip..one of my agents called res yesterday and was told we were on a red eye with1 stop..so asked for a non-stop red eye and was told it would be $500 in addition to the $50 deviation fee AND in addition to the $199 we have already paid..now here is my problem with them ...since non stop air from LA to EWR (round trip)is only $383 on almost every airline..I am confused why AZA wants so much additional money making the air $749 from LA..in my mind, that is the 1st strike against Aza..

Jan

Cruise lines buy bulk air from the airlines. That is how they got the low $199 flights. They don't want to handle regular booking of flights which your request would involve.

Charles, I well know that ..since having been in the business 37 years..but the res people at Aza are not even willing to discuss anything with you..I deal with other cruise lines and DO not have this problem..my original post was FYI..

Jan

my original post was FYI..

If you don't want people to respond, then don't post on a forum...

If Azamara wants more money for a flight compared to what you have to pay if you buy direct from the airline, buy direct from the airline! I am sure normal supply and demand will then eventually correct this apparent problem at Azamara.

Best Regards,

Floris

Charles, I well know that ..since having been in the business 37 years..but the res people at Aza are not even willing to discuss anything with you..I deal with other cruise lines and DO not have this problem..my original post was FYI..

Jan

Maybe it was because the $199 air add on fare was part of a particular special offer? I vaguely seem to recall they were having some kind of special offer for some sailings with the air. Perhaps with normal cruise air they would have been willing to discuss it with you.

Don't you have a Captain's Club number? That would wave the air deviation fee.

Well, your beloved Oceania wanted $766 more from my clients when they wanted certain flights.... which when all was said and done.. I took the air credit.. and the clients booked the air themselves.. and saved themselves $$$$$.

I've never known any air/sea department to make any sense. I always laugh at Cunard.. they charge me $504 plus tax for oneway air from Boston to LHR every January. They always offer me Virgin Flight 12. And I always drop Cunard air and purchase the very same flight from Orbitz for $235-239.

When you contract block air, 95% of the time, the airlines will not drop your rates to reflect what is happening in the marketplace. Thus, when I block 20 seats say from SJU to LHR.. and the rate is $1040 rt, and I see the very same air offered on the airlines very own website for $640rt it makes you wonder. Therefore, I refuse to block air for any of my groups. It just doesn't pay.

Bottomline with cruiseline air... it's a profit center.

I don't have any problems with Azamara. But then again, I deal with the STAR desk. One stop shopping.. including custom air.

I've never known any air/sea department to make any sense. I always laugh at Cunard.. they charge me $504 plus tax for oneway air from Boston to LHR every January. They always offer me Virgin Flight 12. And I always drop Cunard air and purchase the very same flight from Orbitz for $235-239.

When you contract block air, 95% of the time, the airlines will not drop your rates to reflect what is happening in the marketplace. Thus, when I block 20 seats say from SJU to LHR.. and the rate is $1040 rt, and I see the very same air offered on the airlines very own website for $640rt it makes you wonder. Therefore, I refuse to block air for any of my groups. It just doesn't pay.

Bottomline with cruiseline air... it's a profit center.

I agree with you 100%, Im only trying to let people know a new cruiseline is not the easiest to deal with for anyone!!

I wont post anymore on this subject..but it truly is an interesting adventure dealing with their res..you are lucky you dont have to..

Have a great day,

Jan

My experience has been very good with Azamara.

My online TA put forward my deviation for the Miami to Santos cruise (November 07) a few days ago. I wanted a daytime flight from San Francisco the day before the cruise, and to add on a few days in Brazil as well as flying back to SFO via Dallas. She got back to me within days to say there was no additional charge for my choices of flights. I'm very pleased! (We're also CC members).

Denise

Just wondering...does anyone have a brochure from Azamara. I went to several travel agents in Oakville, Ontario, Canada over the past few days and only ONE of three offices had even heard of Azamara.

Sounds like poor execution of a marketing plan to me when travel agents are not being promoted a new brand. Lots of action for Oceania on the shelves at each office I visited, but nothing at all from Azamara.

Are they handing out bags, towels, umbrellas, hats, anything with their logo to get the name out to the industry? What about items for paying passengers?

RCI/Celebrity is not the first or only multi line company. They could learn a lesson from the people at Marriott. They have niche markets covered up and down the hospitality price scale, including Ritz-Carlton down to Farifield Inn.

Anytime I have written to Head Office regarding an issue with any Marriott brand, Bill Marriott or another senior exec has personally replied and the matter was handled efficiently and always to my satisfaction. From post to date, it would appear that execs at Azamara could use a refresher course in customer relations.

I am on journey sept 8th,coming from the uk we get no cheap air fare through the cruise line even though we come a long way,i booked my own flight with ba direct for £377. celebrity wanted over £700 which included two transfer flights, one in the uk to london then one in the us, chicago to newyork jfk, putting an extra eight hours or so on my journey, the only down side to going solo is having to make my own tranfer arrangments once i get there! but hey surley a cab from JFK to manhattan wont set me back in excess of £350. ha i hope not

Just wondering...does anyone have a brochure from Azamara. I went to several travel agents in Oakville, Ontario, Canada over the past few days and only ONE of three offices had even heard of Azamara.

Sounds like poor execution of a marketing plan to me when travel agents are not being promoted a new brand. Lots of action for Oceania on the shelves at each office I visited, but nothing at all from Azamara.

Are they handing out bags, towels, umbrellas, hats, anything with their logo to get the name out to the industry? What about items for paying passengers?

RCI/Celebrity is not the first or only multi line company. They could learn a lesson from the people at Marriott. They have niche markets covered up and down the hospitality price scale, including Ritz-Carlton down to Farifield Inn.

Anytime I have written to Head Office regarding an issue with any Marriott brand, Bill Marriott or another senior exec has personally replied and the matter was handled efficiently and always to my satisfaction. From post to date, it would appear that execs at Azamara could use a refresher course in customer relations.

Yes, there is an Exotics brochure with Journey's South American schedule in it. We, as agents, also received a three fold flyer. I suspect agencies who in the past have had focused efforts selling Celebrity would be the most up to speed on Azamara.

Hi profzed,

You may or may not be aware that you do not have to use ship air to piggyback on the ships transfer from airport to pier. If you are flying into an airport within the schedule times that the ship is providing transfer service you can book transfers only for a reasonable cost. You will need to provide them with all your flight information.

Archived