Baseball caps in the dining room

STEVE- this I paid for it so I can go and do as I please is the cause of many issues of not only cruising and vacationing... but rampant elsewhere... where I won't digress.

You PAID and then AGREED to follow the terms of contract. If hats are not smart casual or formal, and I assure you they are not.... then it's a no go.

Hell, I paid for a suite, I think the pool should be open 24/7, does this give me the right to go in post closing hours (allright bunge jumping in the empty pit, but you get my point).

I hate this response "I paid for it and I can use it" IMHO, it accepts no accountability. You know the rules ahead of time.

Wearing a hat to the dinner table is a symbol of disrespect. It's not simply a hat.

Touche':D :D :D

The only time this was allowed was when shore excursions ran so late that no one had time to return to their rooms and change. So, it was to keep the kitchen running on time.

ROFL This IS funny and I am assuming it's a joke. (because of your wink ;) ) People don't really need time to run to their cabin to look in the mirror in order to get the hat/cap off their head, do they? :D

It would not ruin my vacation if someone wore a hat in the dining room. I am bothered that some people think the rules do not apply to them and I've noticed that some of the people breaking the minor rules, have no problem breaking the major rules too.

Last Friday we went to Cedar Point. There were a lot of High School kids there. We paid a fortune to take the two older boys. There were several attempts to cut in line in front of my kids. my boys did not deserve to be cut in front of. I'm not talking about a few times. I'm talking about every line I was in.

Some kid without a shirt. "Hey, mind if I walk past you? My friends are up there."

me, with a smile. "Please don't."

massive sad face. "But, I've been waiting in line FOREVER and those are my FRIENDS!"

"I'm sorry, but my kids have been waiting just as long as you and everyone is supposed to take turns."

Middle finger raised. "Oh ________ you. I'm going."

Wider smile. "I'll report you."

"Evil _________"

"Yep."

You go girl! ;) I HATE line jumpers too.

And as far as the hats...when we came back from Freedom I said in a post that in PORTOFINO one young guy had a baseball cap (turned sideways), a big oversized t-shirt, baggy jeans and his underwear hanging out while his beautiful dinner companion (a young lady) looked fabulous in a gown. And of course, I got jumped on for stating what HE had on. :rolleyes: Did it ruin MY meal...nope...but come on, if you are in a specialty fine dining restaraunt and your date looks like she is on the red carpet and you look like you should be cleaning the red carpet...maybe you should rethink your wardrobe? :eek:

...but come on, if you are in a specialty fine dining restaraunt and your date looks like she is on the red carpet and you look like you should be cleaning the red carpet...maybe you should rethink your wardrobe? :eek:

VERY nicely said!

Did it ruin MY meal...nope...but come on, if you are in a specialty fine dining restaraunt and your date looks like she is on the red carpet and you look like you should be cleaning the red carpet...maybe you should rethink your wardrobe? :eek:

Snort, funny. :D

It's not that I dislike hats in the dining room which I do but people who think the rules don't apply to them. I ride a motorcycle so have helmet hair alot but I won't even eat in MickyD's with a hat on.

STEVE- this I paid for it so I can go and do as I please is the cause of many issues of not only cruising and vacationing... but rampant elsewhere... where I won't digress.

You PAID and then AGREED to follow the terms of contract. If hats are not smart casual or formal, and I assure you they are not.... then it's a no go.

Hell, I paid for a suite, I think the pool should be open 24/7, does this give me the right to go in post closing hours (allright bunge jumping in the empty pit, but you get my point).

I hate this response "I paid for it and I can use it" IMHO, it accepts no accountability. You know the rules ahead of time.

Wearing a hat to the dinner table is a symbol of disrespect. It's not simply a hat.

A voice of reason. Very well said!!! ITA! :)

life would be so much more enjoyable if people just learned to keep to themselves and not worry about the smaller things in life.

Like posting about people who post too much...Pots and Kettles?

Alan

Hi Shirley,

My name is Bob (am writing on my wife's account).

We love baseball, and that's where we expect to see a ballcap.

Something low class about formal night or even smart casual when a person waltzes in in a tie-die (it happened) shirt and ballcap.

Works very well in the Windjammer.. no problems there..but dang, have a little respect, eh?

What's your next cruise?

Bob & Holly

San Diego, CA

1) Monarch of the Seas, November 1995, Southern Carribbean.

2) Legend of the Seas, October 1999, Barcelona to Athens.

3) Legend of the Seas, January 2001, Sydney to Auckland.

4) Legend of the Seas, December 28 2002-January 2003, Ensenada MX to Honolulu, HI

5) Navigator of the Seas, March 18, 2006, Western Caribbean (MIA)

6) Navigator of the Seas, March 25, 2006, Eastern Caribbean (MIA)

7) Radiance of the Seas, December 23, 2006, Eastern Caribbean (FLL)

8) Radiance of the Seas, June 23, 2007, Alaska, (YVR)

The wearing of any type of hat in a restaurant is of utmost disrespectful and having two Marines in my family...hubby and son...they would be verbal about it.

I have two younger boys and they both know not to ever wear a hat indoors. This is just simply....NCAA no class at all....

If I was at the door, they would be told to remove them or eat outdoors.

Esmerelda

.......if you are in a specialty fine dining restaraunt and your date looks like she is on the red carpet and you look like you should be cleaning the red carpet...maybe you should rethink your wardrobe? :eek:

Actually, my DW would haul me out on the carpet, :eek:, for not having on what she wanted. So I don't really have to worry about it. ;)

I've read all the discussions about appropriate dress for the dining room...what is suggested and what is expected. My pet peeve is to see someone sit down to dinner with a hat on their head. Have you ever seen this in the ships dining room? Would you say somthing about it or ignore it? If they wouldn't remove their hat would you leave the table?

Thanks for your opinions.

please have some compassion.

my good friend has cancer and concordantly has lost his hair.

his way of coping with it is wearing his fav ball cap all the time. wigs or showing a bald head is just not for him.

I've read all the discussions about appropriate dress for the dining room...what is suggested and what is expected. My pet peeve is to see someone sit down to dinner with a hat on their head. Have you ever seen this in the ships dining room? Would you say somthing about it or ignore it? If they wouldn't remove their hat would you leave the table?

You cannot tell people what to do, Some people do not know better:mad: They admire the celebrities on television and magazines, but when it is there time to shine, they do not know how to handle themselves:o . I do not know why appropriate dressing is such a bother for some people.:(

You cannot tell people what to do, Some people do not know better:mad: They admire the celebrities on television and magazines, but when it is there time to shine, they do not know how to handle themselves:o . I do not know why appropriate dressing is such a bother for some people.:(

Actually you do! Because it's appropriate! :D

Caps should NOT be worn while dining, though there MAY be mitigating circumstances, such as a medical condition, dining outdoors in direct sunlight, or not wanting to reveal where one is hiding one's handgun.;)

I can recall one time when I dined with my cap on, upon request. Toward the end of a long day at Six Flags Great Adventure with DW and the DS's, after much roller-coastering (when I would sit on it or hook it to my belt) and perspiring (it was blistering most of the day), we went to eat at GA's barbeque restaurant. We got our food, grabbed a table, and (after a really quick Grace), I removed my cap before digging in...at which point my DW offered, "Dear God. Put that thing back on will you? You're embarrassing me and I'm losing my appetite!) I was compelled to oblige.:rolleyes:

So, yes it should not be done, but if I see someone eating in the dining room with a baseball cap on, will it really bother me or get on my nerves? Not really.....unless, of course, it's a Red Sox cap!:eek:

My question is why as a modern society to we worry about such things. A cap in the dinning room, some one will have to tell me why it is rude to wear the cap inside (I have always heard that it is but never why) and why it is acceptable for a lady to wear a cap or a hat. While I would not wear a cap or hat into the formal dinning room (I also do not go to the formal dinning room on formal nights because I do not want to dress up) I do not see what the big deal is.

Now I do know that it is a rule and I do follow that rule in the main dinning room but not in the windjammer (not because I don't think I need to but most of the time I forget) so when the rule is enforced there I am sure I will be more cognizant to follow it.

Having said that I do wear caps out to eat, to bars, night clubs or anywhere else I like because I like to wear caps.

So until someone can come up with a good valid reason not to wear my cap I will continue to do so and should not be criticized for doing so.

Just my honest 2 cents

It was on the Brilliance we saw people asked to remove hats. No shorts were allowed either.

Fran in Toronto

I wonder what happens on cruise to Bermuda. Business people in general wear shorts as part of dress artier.

thanks Sara.

I always thought I could keep my hat on during the national anthem at sports events - that only men were to remove theirs. I stand corrected. :o But it is almost impossible for me to put it back on without a mirror (hair is styled and positioned to accomodate the hat) what to do? :eek:

And yes, I did see it once. A whole table of 10 in the center of the dining room on casual night - the men were wearing swim trunks, tank shirts and baseball hats. The waiter asked them to remove their hats, which they did. They were uproariously loud too. :rolleyes:

Yuck! I wonder what the definition of casual night was on that ship. :confused: I hope that all the new, casual - it's my vacation and I can do what I want - cruisers won't think this is appropriate:eek: , at least until I stop cruising, and I'm on a roll now.:D Nancy

Thanks for your opinions.

Just returned from the Mariner last week and we had late seating and there was a man with group of about 8 and he wore a Orange Nike baseball cap every nite in the dinning room even the formal nights. No one with the cruiseline asked him to remove it or say a word. The only night the whole family dressed up was Saturday nite. The kids at the table wore sleeveless shirts on formal night. Very tacky....

Archived