Oosterdam, cabin safes?

englander

This is my first time on HAL. My husband and I are going on May 21,2005 to Alaska. My other cruise was on RCCL's Rhapsody of the Seas. I can't find anywhere on their website to tell me there are safes in each cabin. And are they combination locks?

Also is there self serve laundry on the Oosterdam?

Anyone else going to Alaska, or any already been on Oosterdam have any tips on good excursions?

SME

Yes, there are safes in all cabins on all HAL ships, except the Noordam. Can't tell you whether they are combination type on the Oosterdam, but I think they are. Someone else will know for sure.

No Self-Service laundry facilities on the Oosterdam or any of the Vista ships.

Enjoy Alaska - it's beautiful. If you go to Skagway the White Pass Rail Excursion is excellent, especially if it's a nice day. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

Englander - There are electronic combination safes in the closets on the Oosterdam. Pretty easy to use and big enough for your more important documents, cash, etc. There are no self-service laundry facilities on the Oosterdam or any of HAL's Vista class ships. While my wife and I prefer the smaller HAL ships the Oosterdam is beautiful and we had a great cruise last March on her.

:)

That is one thing I liked about the Oosterdam - the combination locks - much nicer than the card coded ones.

Everyone had hoped that with all the complaints of no self laundries on the Zuiderdam, that some would be put onto the other Vista ships. But it didn't happen. The Vista ships are primarily being used on 7 day cruises and they expect you to have enough clothing for 1 week and no more. They didn't think about the European cruises or people doing back-to-backs and having more clothing.

:)

I just got off the Oosterdam and just loved my Alaskan cruise. Like everyone said, a safe is in the room.

Good shore excursions? Skagway=train, a walk around town.

Sitka=a do it yourself walking tour visiting the St. Michaels Catherdral, Russian Bishop's home, Russian Blockhouse, Shelton Jackson College, Castle Hill, and the Sitka National Historic park. The New Archangel Dancers show is within walking distance but was booked solid the day I was there. I had a tour booking but still had to stand. It's great but last only about 30 minutes. The Rapter center is too far to walk to, but worth the price of a tour ticket.

Juneau= Mendenhall Glacier and Mt. Roberts. This year I did a nature hike and loved it. Great photos there!!

Ketchikan= I did a floatplane/boat to Misty Fjords National Monument. Wonderful! You can walk to Creek Street and Dolly's house from the pier. The Lumberjack show is next to the pier and I am told a lot of fun.

Victoria= High Tea at the spectacular Empress Hotel, city tour and Craigdarrack Castle, was the tour I took. Beautiful city with a European feel!

• 5 months later...

I started thinking about the safes on the Oosterdam after I read a thread over on the RCCL board about a girl that claims her ring was stolen. If you haven't read it, it's a doozy! Read it here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=133434&page=1&pp=25

Anyway, I did a search over here and found this thread. One question I have is about the size of the safe. Would a small lap top fit into the safe? The dimensions are 11 x 7.5 x 2.

Archived