Your favorite river cruise line and why?

hcross888

steamboats:

thanks for the Bavarian recepy site.

For me Quark is something like a coarse soure cream - which of course you can't get here.

And by the way, some years ago a got this marvellous German cook book "Essen wie Kaiser in Deutschland" (I think) and it features about twenty German top chefs (some with Michellin Guides stars - like Wirtzigmann at the Four Seasons in Munich) and their favorite recepies. All traditional German cooking but "modrnized" and deprived of their original heavyness - something like German nouvelle cuisine. "Apfelmaultaschen" are one of my favorites and always a sucess when we have dinner guests. The food on the Amadagio was reminiscent to some dishes I found in this book.

tban,

One of my favorite Bavarian cooks is Alfons Schuhbeck

http://www.schuhbeck.de/

He used to have one Michellin star but decided not to continue that. He´s more on traditional Bavarian cuisine but modernized. He invented the Breznknödel (Bavarian Pretzel Dumplings) which are my favorites. If you know Semmelknödel just replace the rolls/white bread through soft pretzels (o.k., it´s pretty hard to get real Bavarian pretzels in the US). Don´t form any dumplings but a roll, put it into aluminum foil and cook it for 20 min in water. Then slice it and fry it in a pan with butter. Best served with a mushroom sauce! Yummy!!!

I got a whole shelf of cookbooks by Schuhbeck. My Christmas present for my DD and DH was a cooking class at this cooking school here in Munich. Of course he also has a TV show.

If you ever come to Munich definitely visit his shops! His restaurant and the main shops are close to the Hofbräuhaus and there´s another one in the main pedestrian zone. Herbs and spices and delicious ice cream (I had mango chili last time).

steamboats

Hi - we are new to river cruising. We like luxury however- our last cruise was Regents Scandavian. My husband really prefers a balcony - he gets claustrophia in small cabins and the balcony helps. Can anybody suggest the most luxurious boats - we are thinking Danube probably - not France - for summer 2008. Also, we are late 50's Americans - would like to find some English speaking travellers.

As an Aussie I would say that the majority of our countryfolk would use APT as their travel agent for European River Cruises.

We are in fact leaving Budapest on the MS Sound Of Music on July 12th booked with them...see http://www.aptouring.com.au/content.asp?Document_ID=42286

Like many of you we would prefer a mix of Europeans & Yanks on our trip and you are right about one thing...we will be having fun! It won't matter what the food & drink & itinerary is like we are out for a good time with good people.

Mike

Tasmania.

We have found Uniworld to be fine. A trip from Bucharest to Budapest was generally well managed and the food was good, perhaps not great, but good. We had the best tour guide ever in Bucharest and environs. She was well educated and gave us all kinds of interesting information. She also had a great sense of humor.

We never had so much fun as when we were table mates with an Aussie couple several years ago on the old KD line. Actually, he had been a British Royal Marine but then moved to Australia many years ago. His wife was originally from New Zealand.

By the way, is Australia still an island, or did they make it into a continent?

For Budapest, you may be interested in my post on "Money Exchange for Hungary and Czech" or a title close to that on the river threads.

Bob :cool:

To jstroose,

We have taken over 12 Tauck tours (including their small boats) and are now looking into their riverboats. They run a great operation and we have two more tours booked for 2007 and 2008. Their new 2008 European River Cruising Brochure just came out and they have a brand new riverboat, the MS Swiss Sapphire which will be launched in 2008 as well as the MS Swiss Emerald built in 2006. You can also go on their "Ask and Share" board to learn more about their river cruising from other people who have taken their river cruises.

sheila

Theresa - I do not think I sent you an e-mail. I checked my sent folder and cannot find anything. Any idea what it should have been about ? - maybe I stored it somewhere else.

tban

Theresa - I do not think I sent you an e-mail. I checked my sent folder and cannot find anything. Any idea what it should have been about ? - maybe I stored it somewhere else.

tban

When I was in Russia - I had an email from tban as the name on the email. I didn't recognize the name and didn't open it when I was quickly checking my email. Though it didn't look like spam so I didn't delete it on my first stop.

On my second stop - I accidently deleted it when deleted a whole page of advertisements.

If you don't remember, it must not have been important (if you did send me something). I just didn't want to seem unresponsive. If you did send me something - it probably would be to cruise-coral@usa.net around May 30 - June 3rd.

G'day Bob of Bobblsc

Thanks for the comments and your post on Hungary and Czech currency.

Australia is definately a continent, Tasmania is an Island - world's best IMHO!

Less than 2 weeks to our take off, river levels seem good, weather doesn't matter will still be better than our current winter, should be a good challenge to find honest taxi drivers.

Cheers

Macca

Tasmania

Archived