Capri Pants too casual for casual night on HAL?

cruzinchar

Hello everyone! I've learned so much from reading these boards the last few weeks, and now it's time to pack! I leave tomorrow for four days on our own in Anchorage, then the cruise tour and then onto the Statendam next Sunday out of Seward. We will have four casual nights and I know they don't want jeans or shorts in the dining room on the Statendam and I want to respect that. I just bought a few pairs of those cute capri pants, but they come just below the knees. The longer ones that come halfway between the knees and feet just don't look right on me. I'll be wearing cute tops and sandles. Is that too casual? Too much like shorts? They seem dressed up to me cause I'm usually a shorts and jeans kind of gal. Thanks in advance! (I need to know fairly soon!) :) I also have some long slacks, so if I can only wear those, I'll be ok, but I love these new capris!

Hi:) I haven't been to Alaska (yet);) ...but I am bringing capris next month...going to the Caribbean.....

I have some new capris and pretty new top to match and will be wearing them on one of the casual nights as well!

Personally I wouldn't wear them to dinner. I have seen women do this on Carnival cruises but to me it just looked too casual because that length is more like shorts then pants. As you probally know HAL is more "proper"-I think you know what I mean but maybe "proper" is not the correct term.

Now I do have a pantsuit where the pants are cropped just above the ankles. That would be proper I think for casual nights.

I really think though-looking at the differences in lengths most can tell. Usually a pantsuit is a more dressy material and the clam digger or peddel pusher length (what we called them 40 years ago) are usually more like picnic wear. I know my pantsuit is done in linen where as most of my clam digger length ones are cotton which I wear with tee shirts as they do not look right with a dressier blouse or top.

One thing you could do is pick up a khaki skirt or slacks and take that-often it looks fine with the matching tops to capris-and if the tops are basially a tee shirt just wear a blazer over it-then you will be dressed to "code". I see no problem with you wearing a khaki skirt or slacks more then once-especially with a different top.

PS- I was on Statendam in 2001 and did northbound Alaska. did not see any capris there but then temps ran. like a high of of 55- 60 degrees daytime a low around 35 . Although you don't really need winter wear-summer wear will be a little cool. Our cruise was in late May-Memorial day week. If your cruise is not before the end of August-you can expect similiar temps. although it is usually a little warmer in July. Your capris especially at a shorts length will be a little cool.

The capris will be fine. There are some very chic looking ones out these days and if you put a nice top with them, you have a very good looking outfit. I plan on wearing them to dinner on the Z next month. I even have one suit with cropped pants and jacket that is very elegant looking. I'm planning on wearing that on an informal night. I work for a very conservative lending institution and they have no problem with us wearing them to work if they are coordinated with something that is not too casual. You will see everything I assure you so wear them and enjoy them. I think they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Nasmas:) ..when are you sailing the Z? I will be on her Sept 11th......

Mom, I have some crop pants that (in my opinion) are fine for casual nights. One is part of a 2 piece outfit...

another is pair of black with a floral print.....I don't usually wear a floral bottom but these look nice (to me) with a dressy black silk top.....

I have sailed Celebrity 3 times and I think HAL is probably in the same "dress classification".....I felt totally fine in my casual outfits on X...and thinking I will be right "in step" on HAL too.

Hi 7:D

Mom, I have some crop pants that (in my opinion) are fine for casual nights. One is part of a 2 piece outfit...

another is pair of black with a floral print.....I don't usually wear a floral bottom but these look nice (to me) with a dressy black silk top.....

I have sailed Celebrity 3 times and I think HAL is probably in the same "dress classification".....I felt totally fine in my casual outfits on X...and thinking I will be right "in step" on HAL too.

On our HAL Statendam cruise we saw very few people under the age 65. At the time I was in my mid forties and felt like a spring chicken as my age group and younger was like no more then 30% of the passengers. I saw NO shorts what-so-ever. There was a dome over the pool which was heated so swimming was possible but it was still cool there. I would wear a running suit as a coverup over my swimsuit-not the usual sarong-and I would hit the pool as soon as I stripped off that running suit because it was so cool.

I have friends that went Celebrity the year before on the Labor day week cruise- roundtrip Vancover and they said it was down right cold to them-they did not see the mild days we did. Bye-the-way-the days in the glaciers were COLD as there was a strong blowing windy mist there-so you definetly bundled up then.

Another thing about the HAL Alaska cruise-there were almost as many Europeans as Americans on that ship and we did not see any of them in even jeans during the daytime. People really DRESSED for dinner too-even casual nights-Holly from Scotland who posts here would have been the norm not the exception.

Maybe the original post should just bring a couple of pairs in slacks just in case. The flavor of an Alaska cruise is nothing like a carribbean cruise too-the whole atmosphere is different-so something you may get away with on casual night just is not going to work on a HAL Alaska cruise.

Lois I have also cruised Princess which is considered in the same league as Celebrity and HAL-you know a notch above RCCL, NCL and CCL- but I found on my Princess cruise the average age was 40-45 so people thought younger and dressed younger then HAL.

Also remember the originial post said she liked the capris that hit just below the knee not mid- calf. That does make a difference. Another thing the capri sets are more dressy (yours that you described) then when you buy the capris as separates that you match with a tee. I hate those flowered capris-I haven't seen anyone over a size 3 that looked good in them-they tend to put the weight on you visually in the wrong places and the ones I have seen would not look good with silk tops-not the cotton ones anyway-possibly if they were linen or silk (maybe even rayon-I hate rayon though myself-don't like the way rayon hangs) but I haven't seen any like that.

Anyway we are all different and so our opimions are different. Maybe it would be good if this person posted this same question on the HAL board. HAL was so different I would hate it if the maitr'd did not allow her access in the dinningroom. That is what I am more afraid of-not that I am right or wrong. I just felt you and others who had posted back were not telling this girl everything she needed to know.

Mom, maybe an Alaskan cruise is different than a Caribbean cruise....

long pants might be warmer:)

Anyway, you are correct, we are all different....I used to dislike crop pants (whatever the pattern~hate is kind of strong) but have found a few brands in petite that fit me beautifully....and I like these....so I will be wearing them....I am short so they are a bit longer....with a pretty top, nice jewelery and heels I think I will look more than acceptable.

Oh, I have recently been posting on the HAL board...since I booked my first HAL cruise.....I must take EVERYTHING they say about dress codes with a grain of salt. I know what I like to wear and that I dress appropriately for whatever night might be...formal, etc....

Its good I know the % of people is quite small (compared to who is actually on the ship)...as opposed to those on the boards...or I might be scared to step on a HAL ship.

I am not talking about one individual but the overall mood on the board about dress, and what is acceptable, appropriate, or not.....they seem to have big problems....or attitudes about everyone.

I don't get involved too much with those threads...just read them.

Anyway...hopefully the original poster will have a great cruise:)

Lois I don't blame you for liking the crop pants. My daughter is short also and it is a pain we have to get her slacks cut off and hemmed. She is a size 1 and is 5"1' and we always have to get like 7 inches cut off. It is amazing to me-I am 5"4' and hardly ever have to get a pair of pants hemmed-the only thing I can figure is hers are usually junior sizes and mine are misses. I guess there are a lot of young women who are anorexic or something-hey my daughter only weighs 85 pounds herself and could stand to gain 5 or 10 pounds. For some reason she hates capris-that would make it much more simplier if she would wear those.

Anyway as I said I have only seen a pair or 2 of the shorter capris at dinner even in the caribbean and that was on Carnival where you see more who break the rules. You also see a lot more in the jeans and shorts which is a definite no-no on Carnival. they definetly don't enforce their dresscode. The longer mid-calf capris and the cropped above the ankle I did see alot and as I said-I wear those myself. I do love the shorter capris and they are my standard day wear. Often if it is a sea day and I have not been on a sweaty excursion-I will simply change into a khaki skirt or slacks and throw on my white blazer so I don't look so casual at dinner.

I wore capris last summer on HAL and will again this Dec, also in Caribbean. My capris for casual nights tend to be linen or similar materials, and as they're dry clean only, certainly not real picnic style! I wear my more casual tropical print capris in port or during the day. If you're thinking more on the lines of boutique-y outfits instead of playing with the kids clothes, you should be just fine. Enjoy!

ASM that was the POINT I was trying to make-capris are different-some are dressy-especially the ones that are what I call pantsuits. I have a nice linen set myself which as you say is dryclean only.

The only reason I posted was the woman said hers hit just below the knee. Unless she is like six feet tall I do not think her capris would be dressy enough. I have plenty of those and do love them but they are too casual for daywear. As I have posted I did not see any on my HAL cruise but it was late May and Alaska northbound-in fact the same ship the original post was going on-which is probally why I did not see capris-the weather was cool even though days were mild-hitting 55-60 still too cool for shorts and capris.

Also on that cruise it was around 70% over 65 and like 40% European. We saw very few jeans in the daytime. Hubby still wore his jeans and flannel shirts on excursions-which I thought was fine for that-he loves his flannel in the winter time and he wore his khakis and a very nice sweathers to dinner on casual nights which I felt was fine-but mostly people were a whole lot dressier-now not formal or anything-the men were in dark slacks and sweathers or nice shirts- no ties or jackets- the women in pantsuits and dresses.

I did not feel out of place or anything-I really felt it was more the age group we were cruising with and the fact that many were European who tend not to be as casual as Americans. Younger ones were a little more casual that we saw-it was just there were not that many of us "spring chickens" there-hey I really felt it was kind of funny that I could consider myself a "spring chicken." I am FAR from that now-just turned 50.

Lois you won't believe this but this morning I turned on QVC the morning show and there Pat James Demetri was wearing a pair of floral print black and white cropped pants that were cropped like just a couple of inches above her ankle.

So I admit I WAS WRONG. When you mentioned floral print capris I had in mind those alot shorter which very much looked like "picnic wear" and not dressy enough in my mind to wear to dinner on ship. You know what we see all the young teenage girls and young women wearing. Hey she looked nice in them too-they did not put any extra "pounds" on her either. Now I see there are floral cropped pants nice enough for casual night.

Hey Mom:D .......ahhh....it is a wonderful world!..thanks for your thoughts....:)

I was wearing mine anyway LOL...just teasing you;) .

Mine are almost to the ankles too!.......like I said, I don't normally wear florals on the bottom....(scarey) LOL.....but these look really nice!

Lois I don't really care what other people wear- even if you wore your flowered knee-lenght capris-lol-funny-I could go by and say "HI Lois I am finially meeting you in person"-you think-ha-ha-I won't do certain things myself but I am that way because I do not desire to stick out like a sore thumb. I sort of feel that those who post here asking questions because they too don't want to do a fauxpaux and I just feel we should give them all the angles.

As we know some do dress this way on purpose on cruises-you know the types-"I paid for this cruise with my hard earned cash and I will do what I want" -type attitude. I really don't believe those posting here though asking if this or that is all right would be among that group.

I am beginning to feel more and more from reading these boards and as most cruise ships have more then one dinningroom or at least a upper and lower deck dinnningroom that maybe we should be allowed the option whether we want to "dress" for dinner or not. Many of us like me enjoy that and that is why I pick cruising over somewhere like Disneyworld for example- to me it is part of the vacation experience-but others who choose not-really should have better food then the lido I think-I can see their thinking-why should they miss out on lobster, escargot, a staff to wait on them etc.

To be honest the only time I really felt offended and felt the maitr'd should have denied admittance to the dinningroom was when a table next to me a family of Grandma-Mom and Dad and kids-not only came dressed in old worn out clothes-but were dirty, sweaty and their hair not even combed. This was on formal night and I could only think they did this in protest of formal night or possibly as we had been in port that day they had been fishing or something and returned too late to clean up. I can't believe they could not afford better-this was on Carnival Miracle-when she was only 6 weeks old- and I know we ourselves paid more for this 3 day cruise then we had for our 7 day cruise on Inspiration a couple of months earlier. Plus I noticed them the next night and they were clean and in nice casual clothes then.

Anyway I have never seen anything like this before on any cruise and I know I myself would not have gone in public anywhere dressed this way-even K-Marts and MacDonalds-except maybe the hospital emergency in a life or death situation-otherwise NEVER.

It does seem though you see more of the dress code offenders on Carnival then the other lines.

Hello, Lois. We'll pass you on the gangplank. We'll be sadly getting off when you board. We're leaving the 4th. I really dont' think anyone will look down on us for wearing our crops to dinner. I did last year and I never felt uncomfortable or even considered someone would think I was too casual. I've worn them on informal nights too with nice shoes and a dressier top. I think they're here to stay, thank goodness. I've even seen them for fall with boots. Not my thing but I'm a little too long in the tooth for these current trends, except capris. Do you remember in the early 80's they were fashionable for an ever so short while. I dont' know why they didnt' take off then, but I'm so glad they are back. I still wear shorts sometimes but I am a little more comfortable in capris. Cover a little more of the cellulite. I"M READY FOR MY CRUISE NOW.

Archived