Coolest Thing You've Seen at Sea

jennbill

We saw dolphins on our last cruise. We had a OV on the Riviera deck so they were pretty close. I really loved seeing them but the most memorable thing I have seen will seem so ho hum after all the beautiful sights that have been described here; I will always remember the first morning after we set sail on our first cruise and I saw the water. I couldn't believe how dark blue the water was and watching it change color as we got closer to the Bahamas was so cool.

On our first cruise, first morning out, we were crossing the Lido deck when we saw a HUGE water spout in the distance. Living out west, we occasionally see dust devils but nothing like this water spout. We've since been on 6 more cruises & have never seen another one.Another awsome sight was when we left New Orleans on the Conquest several years back. We were surrounded by thunderstorms with amazing clouds (this was at night). Lighting lit them up like the Fourth of July.And...like mentioned in other posts, the stingrays in Stingray City. We have been there 3 times but our first was the best. We were on a small ship & the first to arrive in the early morning. We had all those stingrays to ourselves for a good hour before a big boat with a crowd on board arrived.Awwww.....cruising....... nothing like it!(counting days till Valor 5-25-08!)

This was all from our last cruise

1) Thunderstorm at sea (thunder, lightning, pouring rain)...absolutely awesome!

2) Huge waves when we were at sea (sailing through Tropical Storm Barry)

3) We saw a manatee surface in the water while we were jet skiing at Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas. Scared the hell out of me, and I took off full speed on that jet ski!

......What's the coolest, most memorable thing you've seen while at sea?

The coolest thing I have ever seen at sea was the surface after being underwater for a couple of months on a submarine.

The second coolest thing I have ever seen was a picture of our sub doing an emergency blow from test depth. Seeing the picture of the boat bounce out of the water was really awesome.

sunfish04.jpg

The most amazing thing I've ever seen was when we had a balcony room on the Grand Princess last March and saw the guy who went overboard being found and then pulled to safety. It was truly a miracle that he was found at all! I had new respect and admiration for the captain and crew of the Grand Princess. Sorry to see them leave Galveston.

Alexis in Texas

#1 on my list:

Sailing home from Alaska on our aft balcony on NCL Star with nothing but dark blue waters beneath us at night and the Big Dipper direcly above us in the deep blue skies.

Touching my first sting ray at Sting Ray City. I'm terrified of water, can't swim, but but my first touch of the sea creature's velvet like skin reminded me of petting my first puppy dog when I was a little girl.

Cruising through a gale a couple of years ago and being out on deck to see it raining like crazy on one side of the deck while the skies were blue and dry on the other side. Almost like sailing on two ships at one time.

Dianne

Adding #4 to DW's list:

Last cruise (Valor) after a great MoTown singer they announced a special guest would also sing. Out comes Stevie Wonder, sings Superstion, and leaves stage. He was on for the cruise but no one ever saw him again.

Charlie

This thread is totally giving me the chills!

I heard that Journey and REO Speedwagon played a similar surprise show on the Pride the week before I was on it. But the coolest thing I have seen has to have been another cruise ship passing by in the blackest part of the night -- all lit up and shiny -- it was a gorgeous sight.

May 02 Summit Hawaii to Vancoover. All the usual cools stuff but on the 3rd sea day back aprouching . The most beautuful day with perfect winds. The Capt. turns into the wind and 30 plus passangers from a cruise group, fly all kinds of colorfull kites off the Aft. on two decks ..Was Priceless. I heard it set a record and never beat.

Passing other ships at night is always neat.

Passing under the Veranzano (sp?) Narrows Bridge in NYC and the Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver was special.

Forgot all about those flying fish.

How about that special feeling you get when leaving your embarkation port and seeing all the people ashore watching and waving as you sail out. (I'm going on a cruise and you're not!! LOL) Miami comes to mind for me.

I'm loving this thread, you all are making me want to go out to sea ASAP.

Two more to add to my list:

On our first ever cruise, waking up in the morning (inside cabin), going to the lido deck, and feeling amazed that we were completely surrounded by beautiful blue water, as far as the eye could see. Right then, I was completely hooked.

On our Legend cruise, last sea day before debarkation, the Spirit passed us by, not 100 yards away, the two ships kept honking at each other to say hi, everyone went to the rails on both ships to wave at each other, etc...

Just add my $0.02 worth to this thread.

I would have to say that one of the most memorable things I've seen on a cruise would have to be the first time I saw flying fish jumping out of the water and gliding just above the surface. The there was the time I saw a swoardfish jump out of the water.

But I would have to say that the most memorable time at sea was sitting on the balcony, whatching an intense thunderstorm raging all around the ship.

On our first ever cruise, waking up in the morning (inside cabin), going to the lido deck, and feeling amazed that we were completely surrounded by beautiful blue water, as far as the eye could see. Right then, I was completely hooked.
We had an inside for our first cruise also. It was NCL Majesty.

I can still remember the first morning, sitting at a table on the aft deck having breakfast. DW & I looked at each other and smiled. And, yes, that was the moment that we knew we would be cruisers for life;)

Charlie

My first cruise was on Princess back around '85. I was on deck late one night, around 2am and the canopy of stars were amazing!

On the same cruise looking over ther railing I saw what I thought to be sea turtles swimming by the ship! Boy, was I disappointed to see that the crew was actually tossing bags of trash overboard!!!!

It's always neat to see dolphins and flying fish by the boat. One time in Nassau we say a huge manta ray(sting ray) swimming in the area where the ships dock. It must have been large to have been seen from so far away!

I thought it was neat to see the oil derricks sailing back into New Orleans.

Watching Sea Birds fly around the ship at 3:00am while sitting on our balcony, swooping in, chirping away at night time, flying right past our balcony. It was surreal to see such beautiful birds flying around at night time.

I've seen the sea birds too! I couldn't believe what I was seeing in the middle of the night.

This is a great thread. I can relate to many of these experiences. They explain why I am such a cruise addict. I can hardly wait until my next cruise in December!

Archived