Coolest Thing You've Seen at Sea

jennbill

This Island is where the harbor master of Belize is located. We were on the Legend in March and watched the harbor master disembark the Legend and onto a harbor boat. We happened to be on the balcony watching. :cool: The boat then went to that island. It is a beautiful little island. It is also very close to Goff's Caye. We have pics of that island taken while snorkeling on Goff's Caye. If we had known that we would have gone up to take a few photos there but then would have missed the harbor master. :D

Thanks for telling me what that island is! (I posted the original pic in this thread.) I was sitting on my bed waiting for DH to be ready for dinner. I happened to look out the window and saw this island! I grabbed my camera and ran out to my balcony! :D

What an AWESOME thread. Great stories and observations. My "moment" occurred on the Pride in May 2008. I had an aft wrap-around suite. At sunset, with a glass of wine, I sat watching the sun set.....suddenly, in the wake of the ship......appeared about 5 dolphins.....jumping and frolicking in the wake.....in about 5 minutes, the 5 turned into about 200. No exaggeration either. I have heard that they here and feel the ship movement and think it is other dolphins wanting to play. It was a sight.

Then in 2007 on the Glory....it was the birds in the middle of the night. Late at night......of course with more wine......hundreds of chirping birds were flying and dancing for me. It was so strange because we were so far from any mainland. They appeared each night and I considered them my gift for my very first cruise. Later, I figured out that they must be nesting on the Glory.

Thanks for this great thread.

Karen

We were on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam on our Alaska trip. We had spent the day in Glacier Bay and were headed out. I was on the Promenade deck with my camcorder when I noticed this whale playing off the port side of the ship. I caught him breaching a couple of times.

614023312_WhaleBreach-GlacierBay.JPG.7fec9bf1b39ae9b64589df9f14a84b12.JPG

This Island is where the harbor master of Belize is located. We were on the Legend in March and watched the harbor master disembark the Legend and onto a harbor boat. We happened to be on the balcony watching. :cool: The boat then went to that island. It is a beautiful little island. It is also very close to Goff's Caye. We have pics of that island taken while snorkeling on Goff's Caye. If we had known that we would have gone up to take a few photos there but then would have missed the harbor master. :D

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to find it on a marine map and not having any luck. I was wandering the decks when I saw it and got to watch the boat leaving the dock, until it left our ship. I also have a thing for lighthouses. I really need to buy a GPS unit for myself.

Waking up and going to the balcony and seeing the opera house (sydney) rigft there.

Sailing by an active volcano in Hawaii

Alaska offered something every day whales calfing glaciers.

RCCL ice show how do they do it on that small ice.

We are so blessed to travel think of what those that do not miss out on.

Last year, getting ready to dock in Ketchikan, we were out on the "Secret deck" all by ourselves. I have never seen a bald eagle not injured and in captivity and was so anxious to see one in the wild. Anyway, we are standing there looking around the port area and a bald eagle flies right in front of us, swoops down, grabs a fish in its talons and takes back off again.

But, the best thing--seeing my husbands joy that whole week, as his dream of seeing Alaska came to life. He really thought he would never. could never, get there. 'Course now, all he talks about is wanting to do it again. :rolleyes:

One day at lunch during an Alaskan cruise, I happened to look out the window and saw a whale breaching......it was almost totally out of the water! My companions were busy talking and didn't see it, and they thought I was hallucinating!

On that same trip we had a small group of black and white dolphins (they looked like little killer whales) playing in the wake directly under our balcony.

Seeing the dolphins around the ship in galveston and the flying fish

We were up top as we were sailing south past Cabo when we all noticed about 50 dolphins playing in our wake. They would swim from behind the wake and then jump it. They looked like they were really enjoying themselves.

1) Watching the sunrise from the back deck of the Elation. Everyone says it's one of thse things you must do on a cruise but until I did I had no idea what I missed. In summary, breath-taking and not simply a sunset in reverse!

2) Standing on the forward facing public observation deck on the Paradise watching a beautiful sunset and looking down to see a guy drop down onto one knee to propose to his girlfriend. Lots of tears from her, lots of cheering from the rest of us when she nodded yes.

I'm going to tell about one of the strangest things I have seen. One night during a cruise to the Southern Caribbean, my wife and I were on a balcony looking at the ocean and stars. Suddenly, seven stars fell from the sky, came down nearer to the ocean and started moving toward the back of the ship. My wife ran back into the room, extremely startled. I continued to watch this, and the objects went around the back of the ship. I thought of rational explanations, and the only thing that I could come up with was a flock of birds. Maybe the lights from the ship illuminated them as they flew around the ship. But, they originally blended in with the stars.

1. Lava flowing into the ocean in Hawaii at night.

2. Dolphins along the side of the ship.

3. Sea Turtles along the side of the ship while docked.

4. The amazing colour of blue of the ship's wake on every cruise.

5. A woman from Bulgaria winning the hairy chest contest on the Lido deck.

While docked in Key West this March, a mid-sized Navy ship cruised past us with about 200 Sailors standing at attention on the deck, saluting as they passed.

They were like this from the time they came into view, and were still standing, saluting as they passed from view. I had never seen this, it left a lasting impression.

Kurt

• 1 year later...

Archived