Coolest Thing You've Seen at Sea

jennbill

Watching a lightning storm in the distance, multiple strikes some seen as strikes and some just lighting up the clouds in front of them. But the unique and amazing thing (to me) all the strikes were right to left across the sky - none heading down to earth.

First Cruise, Fantasy out of New Orleans in 2007. Last sea day, early morning, we were probably just into the Gulf of Mexico, i.e.: no where near any land. We notice first a boat in the water, and then the ship began to turn around, go back to the boat. The "door" where the pilot boat person usually opens up and one of the crew asked, "De Donde eres?" (where are you from). One on the boat shouted back "Cuba". There were five or six in the boat, I remember one appeared to be praying/thanking, others were hugging each other. This big ole ship pulled right up to the little boat and took them all aboard. I have a picture of the people on the boat and then it empty. It was humbling to know these people put themselves in this boat out to sea just to have a better life.

pictures:

In the boat

Cruise131.jpg

After they came aboard

Cruise138.jpg

But were they sent back to Cuba?

Last year on the Legend we saw a pod of Dolphins...must have been over a hundred of them just frolicking around...we have seen 3 or 4 but never that many at one time...I managed to get it on video, but it was hard to keep them in sight they were movinf so fast :D

On our cruise on the Holiday in 2006 leaving Mobile i remember seeing a house in the ocean on stilts. I'm not sure what it was used for but it was a house in the ocean, never seen anything like it before.

The little house is actually a lighthouse!

We saw a perfectly formed double rainbow somewhere in the Gulf on our way to Cozumel.

We saw a triple rainbow near costa maya once....did not have the camera with me:(. Saw a waterspout another time....have a picture of that somewhere.

the moon reflecting off of the water from our first balcony....not unusual, but cool...

154690_1746565344839_1259965477_1891986_860921_n.jpg

DH saw a hammerhead shark one morning. By the time I jumped out of my chair it was gone.

another view from the balcony...sun coming through the clouds

155631_1746554224561_1259965477_1891920_7347796_n.jpg

love the iguanas too. This one was at Nachi Cocom

148357_1746558984680_1259965477_1891952_5142060_n.jpg

But were they sent back to Cuba?

Don't know. They were allowed on the ship, kept isolated, then in the evening, just before sundown, a coast gaurd boat came along side and they were transferred to them.

I'm not sure how these things work now but this is the way it used to be...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_feet,_dry_feet_policy

Sailing through the tip of a tropical storm. It was amazing. Dolphins, flying fish, turtles were amazing as well. Last but not least seeing my wife not having to worry about being a mom for the first time in 9 years, and how beautiful she is on a cruise ship!:D

Some guy jumping overboard at 2 am on the Valor and filming the rescue.

Now THAT'S a video I'd love to see!

My video of the flying fish from deck 9 didn't turn out great on youtube; you can barely make out the fish. But the dolphins I shot from Deck 3 while sailing ~20 knots on the Valor last week turned out okay.

Chasing a Russian fast attack Submarine for 3 days while onboard the USS Elliot, a Spruance Class Destroyer used mainly for Anti-Submarine Warfare and then finally making that Russian Sub come up for air. :D We mainly chased them for some Russian Vodka and we gave them Strawberry Ice Cream out in the middle of the Indian Ocean :)

The other is watching Flying Fish fly for long distances in the Indian Ocean while the water was steady and flat like a mirror.

Fred

Watching a US Destroyer coming into Grand Cayman with the crew standing end to end at attention, for hours, as they slowing came into port. It must have been over a hundred degrees and yet, the crew was in full uniform. Fred, was that done to honor the foreign port? At any rate, it was one of my top sights ever.

Rae

We observe the coolest thing every single cruise:

The open sea. Under any condition.

Learned about this several years ago when I fished for fun in waters 80-100 miles offshore.

Open sea. What an incredible escape it is. Unmatched in my lifetime.

The thousands of jellyfish surrounding our boat on the Kenai Fjords excursion

On the last full day in Alaska, finally getting to see a whale breach. Also Hubbard Glacier, I could have stayed and watched all day.

Sailing back to New York City from Canada on our last day at sea surrounded by total fog. The ships horn blew every few minutes all day long.

Our tour in the Dominican Republic. This is still one of my favorites as our guide was born there and he gave us a very detailed description of everyday life. You just can't fully understand how other people live until you experience it first hand. To be so poor, but so very happy with your life is eye opening.

On our Conquest cruise on the second day at sea I awoke to a sail boat off in the distance and thought wow they are really far from shore. Later found out that this was a refugee boat from Cuba and they were having trouble so they all loaded into a small rowboat and were being assisted with tools for repair by the ship. It was scary because there was probably 10 people in the little boat including a couple of children without life vests. The ship actually made a u-turn in the water to offer help.

I remember sitting alone in the sauna where one whole wall was glass and as I sat there I watched a pod of dolphins follow the bow for about 5 minutes.

Also loved the icebergs in Alaska and the many shapes they took--reminded me of looking at clouds and seeing all the different animals they looked like.

Probably the favorite was sitting on our rear wrap balcony as we turned and pulled away from a glacier and with it's magnificent view in site for an easy hour. We were wrapped in our warm and fuzzy robes and sipping a glass of champagne.

pitch black night....limited moon....we stepped out on the balcony and the brightest little dipper and big dipper was right in front of us at eye level not up over our heads like we are used to...it was amazing and the kids were floored. did you ever see the movie bruce almighty?...it was just like that.

i am jealous of all of you that have seen sharks, whales, dolphins.....i have never seen one from the ship but i have tried after hearing "hey look at that....nope too late". maybe next time.

On our first cruise, we were sitting in a window seat. We (hubby & I) both looked out into the water at the same time, and there was a sea turtle riding the waves. It lasted only seconds, it was just amazing that we both looked at just the right time to see it.

Archived