Coolest Thing You've Seen at Sea

jennbill

Our first cruise on the Fantasy...Everything was new and I loved it all. Second cruise on the Glory we had our own balcony and saw the flying fish and what appeared to be a giant turtle floating in the ocean and a gorgeous rainbow. And as we were leaving St Thomas all the people on the island in a restaraunt taking pictures of our ship from the windows. But my number one favorite memory was on the Glory on embarkation day, being about 41 miles out to sea and seeing the space shuttle doing a night time launch! It was AWESOME!!!!!!! :eek:

Along with everybody else, I love seeing the wild dolphins. On our first cruise, my husband and middle daughter had seen dolphins a couple of times. My youngest daughter and I were never able to see them, until when we were almost home we both caught site of a pod at the same time. It was a magical moment.

And cruising out of Baltimore, some of our favorite things to see are the Key Bridge, the Bay Bridge, and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, especially at night.

On a pre-inaugural cruise out of Miami, we were told that the windjammer WindSong was

going to rendezvous with us at sea. The deck was packed, and we could see the tiny

blob on the horizon getting bigger and bigger. There she was, all sails spread. She came

around the bow and down our port side. Her deck was packed,too, and with one voice,

they shouted "Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?"......Priceless

Another sight was passing Gibralter at 10pm...dark night. Silhouetted against the

black sky was the Prudential logo........that must be how they drew it so perfectly.

The world is full of wonderful things, and a cruise ship is a remarkable place to see them from.

SHARK SIGHTING!

Triumph cruise 2005, on our way to Cozumel. I just happened to be looking down at the wake from the aft, and saw a big fin poking through. Sure enough, it was a big shark just kinda enjoying the wave action back there - go figure!

The coolest thing we have seen is going out on your balcony in the middle of the night to see the stars in the sky. They look like you could reach out and touch them and they look like a sky full of sparkling diamonds.

What a great topic!!!

I am going to take "at sea" as meaning on board the ship. That being the case, I have always enjoyed seeing other ships at sea as they pass at night. It could be cruise ships or freighters. It is pretty awesome.

I also enjoyed watching whales from the deck of the Song of America (Royal Caribbean). It was the first time I had ever seen whales at sea (1998) and it was amazing. It was the end of January so migration was full on at that time.

Also, I NEVER get tired of listening to the salt spray of the sea in the wake of the ship. It has a certain "foamy" sound that just simply can't be duplicated. Very soothing and relaxing.

On my last cruise to Alaska, I took some friends who had never been on a cruise before. On the last evening as we were enjoying dinner (our table was right at the aft windows), as the ship just started cruising between Vancouver Island and the mainland, a hugh school of dolphins started playing in the wake of the ship. It was an amazing sight to watch them. Couldn't have asked for a better ending to the cruise.

Ok, not necessarly cool, but on our way back for Bermuda last summer, the ship did several 360's in the middle of the atlantic, unaware as passengers the captain was circling a a 35 ft boat that was capsized. As we approached theboat, I was hoping two things, 1. we would find people alive or 2. we would find no people. Finding people dead was not an option in my mind, No one was on the boat that was floating in the atlantic. Been on 25+ cruises and never has this happened. A bit freekie, and uncomfortable. Captain said the ship would radio coast guard and tell them the coordinates of the ship.

First Cruise, Fantasy out of New Orleans in 2007. Last sea day, early morning, we were probably just into the Gulf of Mexico, i.e.: no where near any land. We notice first a boat in the water, and then the ship began to turn around, go back to the boat. The "door" where the pilot boat person usually opens up and one of the crew asked, "De Donde eres?" (where are you from). One on the boat shouted back "Cuba". There were five or six in the boat, I remember one appeared to be praying/thanking, others were hugging each other. This big ole ship pulled right up to the little boat and took them all aboard. I have a picture of the people on the boat and then it empty. It was humbling to know these people put themselves in this boat out to sea just to have a better life.

pictures:

In the boat

Cruise131.jpg

After they came aboard

Cruise138.jpg

The infamous "green flash" that lasts a second or two when the sun sets.

Yep, the same thing that is mentioned in the most recent Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

I agree, we saw the infamous "Green Flash" last year while sitting on our balcony. Until then, I thought it was just something someone made up!

This thread is totally giving me the chills!

I heard that Journey and REO Speedwagon played a similar surprise show on the Pride the week before I was on it. But the coolest thing I have seen has to have been another cruise ship passing by in the blackest part of the night -- all lit up and shiny -- it was a gorgeous sight.

I have to agree, on my last cruise 2 months ago, I was up using the restroom in the middle of the night, and we left our ocean view curtains open to be awakened by sunlight in the morning, and as I was walking back to bed in the dark room, a large cruise ship all lit up passed by, it was quite a sight to see. I wish I would have stumbled to find my camcorder in the dark, but it probably would not have came out anyhow. I will never forget that scene, beautiful and peaceful!!

Going under the bridge as you leave Tampa Bay is fun.

Like many of you, I was fascinated by the flying fish. Some of them went at least 100 yards, and a few times there were 15 to 20 that left the water at once.

This leads me to a question. When a school of flying fish leave the water do they become a flock?

We did a B2B on the Freedom this past October and on the second cruise, in the wee hours of the morning, we sat on our aft balcony and witnessed the most intense lightening storm we have ever witnessed ! (we heard the next day that it had been the tail end of hurricane Otto) I mean, this lightening show was incredible - it lasted nearly 3 hours and mostly comprised of "sheet" lightening, but the flashes were every 3-5 seconds and the entire sky lit up.

We were in Cabo San Lucas in February wrapping up the day sipping cocktails on the Lido Deck. I was watching some people parasail and then all of a sudden a bunch of boats started to gather in that general area. I watched for a few minutes, wondering why they were all gathering then this whale breaches right under the person that was parasailing. What a view they must have had!

Probably the coolest thing I've ever seen was not on a cruise, but whale watching in Monterey Bay. A leatherback sea turtle came right up to our boat and poked his head out, stared at us for a minute then went back under water. Our guide nearly had a heartattack from excitement, I guess the leatherbacks are pretty rare. I've seen the green turtles in the bahamas before, but this thing was HUGE! That same trip we also came across a pod of killer whale. That was another thing I had never seen on a cruise!

I haven´t been on tons of cruise , but the places I´ve been have offered some pretty amazing memories.

The coolest things:

I´d have to say the top thing was getting up in the middle of the night , looking out the sliding doors and seeing an iceberg when going to Antarctica...we had been at sea for 7 days , missed ports due to storms , and it looked like we weren´t going to get there. I then went out to the balcony and soon after , a whale surfaced! Unforgettable.

x4nek3.jpg

On the same cruise , we were in the middle of a storm with 27 ft waves and hurricane force winds...looking out onto that was awe inspiring and scary!

We also saw penguins swimming ,pods of dolphins , whales , seals....a once in a lifetime experience.

Another really cool thing was sailing through the archipelago of Stockholm , watching the sun going down....there are thousands of beautiful islands, Made me want to move there!At the end of the archipelago , we saw this ship...

2ebhax1.jpg

Cruising is a wonderful way to see the world!

Kim

Archived