Coolest Thing You've Seen at Sea

jennbill

I'll try to post pictures of some of these... if I can figure out how you post pix...

For those of you unsure how to post photos here, this hosting site is very easy to use

http://imagevenue.com/

Open a second webpage so you can run imagevenue at the same time as cruise critics -

Hit the browse button to find the photo on your computer -

Doubleclick on the photo -

Change the select button to "safe for work" -

Click "send file(s)"

Once the image is loaded click on the second "Copy URL"

Click paste onto your post & the URL info should be on your post, always click preview post to ensure your picture has loaded correctly before you submit your post & ......thats it.

Look forward to seeing all your photo's

:) :)

On my first cruise, we had come back on board after Cozumel, gone to our cabin and changed for dinner. Went back up on deck for a bit and found that we were still in port (at least an hour later than we were supposed to be). There were 3 or 4 other ships also in port and it was dark out so they were all lit up and all you could see were the lights. It was so cool. Unfortunately, we didn't get very good pictures because our old camera wasn't very good. But I just remember going up and being completely awed by all the lights surrounding us.

A pod of Orcas in Alaska. Whales frolicking 100 feet from our catamaran in a fjord...I felt the mist from one of the whales spouting from his blow hole...super duper cool...we also saw porpoises, seals, eagles and mountain goats on that trip...nothing like seeing your first american blad eagle...! We saw hundreds of them flocking a cannery in Canada...

A pod of Orcas in Alaska. Whales frolicking 100 feet from our catamaran in a fjord...I felt the mist from one of the whales spouting from his blow hole...super duper cool...we also saw porpoises, seals, eagles and mountain goats on that trip...nothing like seeing your first american blad eagle...! We saw hundreds of them flocking a cannery in Canada...

Eagles are cool. We see them here along the rivers at certain times of the year and it's fun to go and count how many you can see!

Cat94, you win a ship on a stick! Seeing the Space shuttle go up would really be awesome from a ship!

Being from Miami and living on Biscayne Bay I grew up with dolphin, jumping tuna, flying fish etc. Once I was riding the bow of my dad's 25 ft. boat when a hammerhead shark the size of the boat swam alongside and eyed my tootsies hanging over the side! I jumped up fast!!

One of my most memorable sights was pulling away from the New York pier in 1964 with streamers flying and the horn sounding on the Queen Elizabeth. Those were the days!

Seeing my 2 kids faces in their lifejackets at muster drill was precious! Everyone needs one of those in their house displayed with pride.

In Cozumel 2 armed (with machine gun looking weapons) police chased 2 men to our ship where the Captain got involved in a long discussion about what to do with these 2 wayards. Never did find out what they'd done but they were running for their lives. Rumor had it they landed in the brig until next port. Lots of diplomacy by the Captain saved them from a jail term in Cozumel.

I also loved seeing the mountains of Cuba. We seemed to get fairly close once. It really brought tears to my eyes to think what Castro did to that beautiful country. We're getting closer to seeing it as a port. The day he dies Miami will erupt!

I love this thread! I can't wait for my next cruise in August! The coolest things I've seen are watching the flying fish and the wathcing the glacier calving at Glacier Bay. The beauty in Alaska is breathtaking!

Or maybe you can. FLYING COWS, thats right cows, I saw cows fly passed our stateroom window. Sometime around 3 or 4 in the morning the captain made an announcement about possible rough seas due to funnel cload activity in the area. The announcement woke me up and I looked out the window and could have sworn I saw cows flying past. I look away, shook my head, and looked again and did see a funnel cload, but the cows were gone.

I think you had a little to much to drink that night. You didn't notice Dorothy and Todo later did you .:)

When we were on the glory in 2005 we had high winds and got stuck in port several hours. When we finally left around midnight ...we went up on the front of the empress deck and watched the pilot take us out of the port. It was so cool watching the (runway) lights in the dark, that he was using to guide us out. It was also a little scary do to the winds and if he hit the coral reef we would have been in trouble.

Wow. I can't compare with all of the whale and other wildlife sightings. On my first cruise from New Orleanslast August I was checking out my state room and looked out the window right into a Coast Guard helicopter...this thing was only about 50 foot away from the ship....then the boats with the mounted machine guns racing up and down the river. Really exciting now that I know that they were there to patrol for the ship and not hunting terrorists.

We have seen three of these. One time we say a boat load (and I do mean a boat load) of what we were told were Hatians that were following the ship since they have no navigation, they follow the ships and then make a run for the coast when they see and think they can make it.

Second we saw a rescue at sea, a sail boat had lost power and with only one person on board so the life boats went out and rescued him and left his boat to float away.

Third when we were eating dinner on the Seaward, there was no land in sight and a helicopter flew over next to the ship for a few minutes then returned to whatever island it came from.

One other time, we didn't see it, but the Captain later told us. When we left the Port of Miami, in the channel, we were really booking (usually when we left you gradually pick up speed, but not this time). It seemed we going around 20 knots before we hit the open water, later as the Captain told us there was a water spout and he was getting us out of the channel ahead of it.

The amazing blue water in the Gulf

Beautiful sunsets

Watching my husband totally relax for a change

waking up @ 6:30 in the am and being excited about it

visiting my very first country (Mexico)

Getting excited about getting my first stamp in my passport (I know its cheesy) It doesn't take much to make me happy

:D :D :D

On our first cruise we went to Grand Cayman. We went on the stingray excursion and on the way back it looked like it was going to storm. We looked toward the storm and as DH and I were looking we saw a water spout form from the ocean up to the clouds. Basically it was a tornado over water. It was about 100 yards away from the boat and all we could do was watch and see where it would go. Luckily it veered away from us. DH still talks about it now, 6 years later.

Whats funny is the best things I have seen on the boat happened as we were eatting!!

I am a night person so waking up is hard for me. I have always seen a sunset but never a sunrise. On one of our port days, we were arriving at the island at 7 and had the shore excursion at 7:15 so we had to wake up extra early. Well I am eatting breakfast next to the window and when I turn, I see my first sunrise! The colors were unbelieveable! I always thought that a sunrise and sunset would look the same only in reverse, but I was dead wrong!

The second thing was one day we were at sea and having lunch, once again right next to the window. We just started eatting when I looked out and saw what looked like a tiny island ahead of us. I thought it might have been a boat or something but as we got closer it was a tiny deserted island! It looked like one right out of a movie. It had a little house and a boat docked on the side. It only had one palm tree. That was all it could fit! I was so amazed and making such a big deal that everyone around me started looked around too! It was so surreal, I will never forget it! To this day, my hubby, when he is having a bad day, tells me, why don't we go find that little tv island and live off the coconuts!

One of the neatest things that happened on one of our cruises, we were way out to sea and a pelican came and roosted on a deck below us, he slept for about 2 hours, woke up and flew away.

LOL!!! That reminds me....I was on the Ecstasy last month with my mother. I came home and was downloading pics with DH standing over my shoulder watching. He's looking at the pics and goes, "Honey, why did you take a pic of a bird on the ship?" "Well Baby, 'cause we were in the middle of the ocean, miles and miles away from land, where did that bird come from?" He started laughing...."Oh, didn't think of that."

The amazing blue water in the Gulf

Beautiful sunsets

Watching my husband totally relax for a change

waking up @ 6:30 in the am and being excited about it

visiting my very first country (Mexico)

Getting excited about getting my first stamp in my passport (I know its cheesy) It doesn't take much to make me happy

:D :D :D

No lie there! That's funny!!!

I would have to say the most amazing thing(s) I've seen on a ship would be:

1. Sailing between Manaus and Alter do Chao with the lights of the ship illuminating millions of photo phosphorescent plankton in the water, making the water actually sparkle at midnight ...

2. Great flock's of brightly colored parrots flying in mass over the ship as we slowly sailed down the Amazon ...

3. Witnessing the 'wedding of the waters' where the cola colored water from the Rio Negro meets and lingers alongside the sandy-beige water of the Rio Solimones River for mile after mile ...

4. Waking up onboard to find adult hand sized moth's had been called to the ships lights overnight and had landed all over the ship ...

5. Several dozen villagers in dugout canoes coming out to meet and follow the ship as we slowly sailed the "Mighty River" ...

6. The incredible sunset's in the South Pacific ...

7. Sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge ...

8. Steaming past Kilauea Volcano on the big island of Hawaii as the lava pours into the ocean ...

9. And of course sailing Alaska with the bounty of glaciers, wildlife and sea life ...

My husband :)

No really . . . . Sailing into New York, sitting in the Crow's Nest (bar up top of Holland America's Noordam) and watching the city as the sun rose behind us. All of the buildings looked like they had been dipped in gold. The bar was silent as people sat in the recliners and stared.

Reading this has brought back lots of good memories:)

1) Sailing through the reef on Riatea in the South Pacific.

2) Looking for the Southern Cross

3) Numerous beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

4) Watching a pod of whales sail along side on a Trans Atlantic.

5) Sailing through the Panama Canal at night

Thank goodness we love to cruise. Just think what we would have missed.

Dennis

Archived