Coolest Thing You've Seen at Sea

jennbill

Don't forget the sea otters laying on giant slabs of ice floating in College fiord!

The humpback whales, I saw several around Juneau!

Sailing into Ketchikan and seeing my brother and his family waving to me from shore! I don't see them too often since they live so far away!

I want to go back....

I agree with all of the above..the glaciers left us silent and lost for words. The valcano in the Med as it throwed its fire high into the sky while the small fishing boats sat near by with no worries. The eagles flying over our ship in Alaska and the blue waters of the Bahamas. All moments that will forever be remembered as great. I only have 2 to add that I guess you could call "Hallmark" moments.

1. Sailing by some homes in Alaska standing on our balcony I see a sign with an American flag on a pole in front. The sign painted in white paint as big as possible said LUCKY ME. I knew I had "found my sign".

2. We were standing on Liberty's deck in 2006 as we pulled into Venice I was shocked at how large the ship was compaired to the size of the buildings. We had been to Venice several times but never on a ship. But what made this time really special was as we were in the canal the ship Captain gave a pull on the horn saying hello to his 80 something year old Papa as he stood in one of the doorways waving. As a parent I shared the pride this father had for his son who started out as a gondolier. (and I also said a pray that he wouldn't hit the cornor of the dock for his home town to see LOL)

Isn't one of the other BEST sights seen while cruising... when pulling into a port and seeing the crystal blue water... seeing the color changes of the coral under the ship as you pass over it.... NOW that is a sight.. makes me wanna jump in before the ship even stops.

My choices:

I'd have to say seeing flying fish.

Going under the Tampa bridge.

I thought it was neat to see the oil derricks sailing back into New Orleans.

On our first ever cruise, waking up in the morning (inside cabin), going to the lido deck, and seeing Cuba in the distance.

My Baby Girl dancing on the tables on the Glory during dinner. (Memories!!!!)

1) Onboard the ship--coming home from Canada in 2003, we were trying to outskirt Hurricane Juan, the first hurricane to hit Canada in 100 years. The pool in the atrium at the front of the ship was still left open, amazingly. Water splashing back and forth like a wave pool at a Six Flags Park (and my idiot husband was in the pool with my friend while I was popping Bonine like Skittles on a lounge chair.....).

2) First cruise--at night--walking around Promenade Deck all by ourselves on Explorer. Almost blew off the front of the ship. But it was our first time out, and looking onto the darkened sea with only the stars in the sky as light, was incredible. Hooked us in really quickly!

3) From the ship--crusing past the Statue of Liberty (native New Yorker, done it three times, and it still never fails to amaze me.) Going under the Verrazano Bridge, when my car is usually up on it paying a $9 toll, always gives me a kick.

3) Entering the Harbor in Bermuda--the British, Bermudian, American and Canadian flags all fluttering in the wind together on shore, next to that amazing aqua water.

Robin

1) Onboard the ship--coming home from Canada in 2003, we were trying to outskirt Hurricane Juan, the first hurricane to hit Canada in 100 years. The pool in the atrium at the front of the ship was still left open, amazingly. Water splashing back and forth like a wave pool at a Six Flags Park (and my idiot husband was in the pool with my friend while I was popping Bonine like Skittles on a lounge chair.....).

2) First cruise--at night--walking around Promenade Deck all by ourselves on Explorer. Almost blew off the front of the ship. But it was our first time out, and looking onto the darkened sea with only the stars in the sky as light, was incredible. Hooked us in really quickly!

3) From the ship--crusing past the Statue of Liberty (native New Yorker, done it three times, and it still never fails to amaze me.) Going under the Verrazano Bridge, when my car is usually up on it paying a $9 toll, always gives me a kick.

3) Entering the Harbor in Bermuda--the British, Bermudian, American and Canadian flags all fluttering in the wind together on shore, next to that amazing aqua water.

Robin

I love #3! Don't you wish you could always go under it to avoid that damn traffic and toll? :D

While leaving Key West, we spotted this small US Navy vessel (I would call it a PT boat) shadowing us as we sailed into the gulf. The pic was taken from quite a distance, and is a little fuzzy.

God Bless our troops!

488006635_2003_02_06HOLIDAYCruise095a.jpg.d2f37342ec79fcfafe76d0da50543915.jpg

All of mine are animals, and I can't choose a favorite.

While waiting for our ship to leave port in Galveston, a hammerhead shark lazily swam right up to the ship and passed by, right at the top of the water. My dh and I just happened to be on our deck looking out, and thanking God we were not in the water!

A humongous pod (hundreds) of dolphins on our way back from Hawaii. They were swimming right up to the ship and leaping out of the water. Amazing. They were so close we could see their spots!

A friend and I saw a whale in the Caribbean. From the deck of the ship, while cruising. Again, we just happened to be there at the perfect time.

And I have to add, cruising the Saginaw River in Canada in October was spectacular. I've never seen anything like it. And we saw Beluga whales there!

Ahhh...

Shay

There are so many, it's hard to pick. So I'll just choose those where I have a picture to share:

- Sunrise taken from our Category 11 Wrap-around balcony on the Spirit as we were arriving in Maui

- The Pitons of St. Lucia

- A giant rainbow at sea while cruising the Hawaiian Islands

1918527142_MauiArrivalSunriseBalcony3.jpg.8762963a2eeb14ad2f0ad5a5d8fb3e0e.jpg

887881335_StLuciaPitonsII.jpg.bc972ce2688fb47fb222de596e07fdb4.jpg

1862445629_RainbowatSea.jpg.5b42cd95ffd8da52aee75f41eb6ad171.jpg

Definately watching the HUGE chunks of ice break off and fall from the glacier in Alaska. Our Captain got the Spirit sooo close, it felt like we could just reach out and touch them. Almost as amazing was the SOUND. I never realized how cool the popping sound was. And it was neat to watch the sea otters (or whatever they were) riding the pieces of ice like a surf board over the waves that were made as the chunks fell.

Forgot about these:

The first time we sailed out of San Juan on the Dawn Princess the seas were horrible. It was late at night and the waves were gigantic at the mouth of San Juan harbor. Then we looked to our right and El Morro was there in all its beauty and below, on the shore was a freighter which had run aground sometime previous. The waves were breaking OVER the bridge of that freighter.

The first time we sailed into San Juan, on the Explorer, it was awesome to sit on our aft balcony eating our Johnny Rockets burgers and seeing El Morro in the daylight.

Jenn remembered this one. When we arrived in Barbados on the Golden Princess we were backed up to this exceptionally large boat. Being in an aft balcony we were treated to the comings and goings of this ship's crew while in port. Turns out this ship was Le Grand Bleu, at the time the third largest private yacht in the world. It was owned by Roman Abromovich who was the second richest person in Russia. The ship is over 350 feet in length. A large crew. A 70 ft. sailboat and a 67 ft. powerboat hang on both sides. The powerboat is/was reported to be worth over $1 million alone. Almost forgot about the Bell helicopter on board. It was fun to watch the activity around this ship.

• 11 months later...

I like this thread and was hoping to bring it back to life.....

One of the coolest things I have seen was when my quiet, shy, ultra conervative uncle entered the hairy chest contest and was pole dancing. I love the way a cruise can bring out the wild and crazy side of a person.

Sometimes it's easy to forget what a wonderous and beautiful world we live in.

How lucky we are to be able to go on these adventures and witness these wonderful things.

As for my most wonderous moments...among them is pulling in to Cozumel very early in the morning, right at sunrise, with my coffee and camera in hand. To this day, I still get wistful when I hear the song "Mexico" by James Taylor. 2470172560071447156S425x425Q85.jpg2999769100071447156S425x425Q85.jpg

Thanks for bringing this back, CruizinBabyGirl. What fun to read!

We've seen dolphins coming out of Galveston and the most beautiful full moon over the smoothest, darkest water. And the turquoise water coming into Cozumel, I will never forget that.

th_HPIM0526.jpg

I'm hoping that with our first balcony in September, we'll be seeing a lot more neat things! :)

Archived