Coolest Thing You've Seen at Sea

jennbill

The coolest thing I have seen at sea, was on my first Carnival cruise. It was the Sensation, and we were somewhere far out in the the Gulf of Mexico. The sea was soooooo calm, I mean hardly a ripple on the surface other than the movement created by the ship, and just off the side of the ship was a large school of dolphins. They seemed intent on outracing the ship! The water was the most beautiful color, and clear so you could see them both in and out of the water! Have never seen seas that calm on a ship since. :)

I was out on our balcony late one night, far out at sea. I watched a large meteor come bursting out of a cloud, belching smoke and fire behind it. It was so close it went in front of a cloud that was off the side of the ship. I watched it for a good 10 seconds as it flew by leaving a trail of smoke in the moonlight. It disappeared behind a cloud a few miles off the bow of the ship and I heard a boom very shortly after. Very cool thing to see!

On our cruise in April on the Glory...The very first nite of the cruise we had a pigeon land on our balcony...it hung out even with us out there like we didnt even bother it...we went to sleep round midnite..I woke at 7am to it sitting on one of the chairs...about 815 or so..I watched it fly away..walked out side and it was headed to Cuba..its was quite the sight..

our friend

gloryvacation4-18051.jpg

We were anchored off of Cocco Cay and almost everyone else had gone ashore but the DW and I thought we would stay back and wait till the tenders were less crowded. We were looking off the side of the ship on the opposite side of the tenders and saw the biggest shark we had ever seen and the first in person slowly gliding around under the surface. The water was so clear you could see the bottom and he must have gone twenty feet! We still talk about that to this day.

On the same trip, my SIL and I went up parasailing at St.Martin and saw jellyfish and huge turtles from the air.

A couple of summers ago we were on Caribbean Princess approaching San Juan .It started to rain .We had a half covered half uncovered balcony.My son decided to do a rain dance at the edge of the balcony .We stayed under the covered part

A lightning bolt struck the sea about 50 yards in front of him as he was dancing wildly The Thunder was unbelievably loud.we all jumped and covered our ears .I think it was the loudest sound ..BOOM I ever heard in my life!!!!WE all ran indoors ..My son got REALLY scared but we did laugh about it after ,He promised no more rain dances!!!

Some of my more recent memories:

Rainbow after coming out of a morning rainstorm (6:30am) off of Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa (click for much larger version 4MB):

th_11366_Cruise2010878_122_493lo.JPG

Some nice cloud formations/colors over the Spirit after coming out of the aforementioned storm off Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa (click for much larger version) in the early morning:

th_12123_Cruise2010886_122_547lo.JPG

Nothing like getting up early to a completely empty ship (only a few stragglers) - very peaceful, quiet. All you could hear was a slight wind and water. This was also coming into Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa (click for much larger version)

th_12787_Cruise2010987_122_775lo.JPG

Sunset over Zihuatanejo as the last tenders finished getting passengers (click for much larger version)

th_13379_Cruise20101473_122_345lo.JPG

Beautiful sunset off Baja (click for much larger version)

th_13179_Cruise2010383_122_356lo.JPG

Wife and Daughter enjoying a sunset off Baja - the reason I cruise for memories like this!! (click for much larger version)

th_12886_Cruise2010377_122_70lo.JPG

Only having been on 2 cruises, I don't have much. But, one memorable moment was on our last cruise while we were docked in Nassau. We were on deck outside the lido buffet area looking at the amazing sight of the Oasis that was docked next to us (with an empty slip in between). It was a beautiful dusk. I looked down at the empty slip area and saw a huge ray (sting or manta) meandering around. It was absolutely gigantic and impressive. That was cool!

The coolest thing was on our Conquest cruise...sitting on the balcony ALL evening and night watching a thunderstorm...the light dancing off the water was spectacular. Ever since I have wished for a thunderstorm at sea again(in the distance of course!)

On our cruise in April on the Glory...The very first nite of the cruise we had a pigeon land on our balcony...it hung out even with us out there like we didnt even bother it...we went to sleep round midnite..I woke at 7am to it sitting on one of the chairs...about 815 or so..I watched it fly away..walked out side and it was headed to Cuba..its was quite the sight..

our friend

gloryvacation4-18051.jpg

We had a pigeon visitation on the NCL Jewel. It stayed on the cabin balcony above us for the 5 day cruise. Every afternoon it left the aft and made circles close to the back of the ship (perhaps to do its business :)) We first saw it leaving Florida and again in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Perhaps it was visiting family in the islands.

Here is "Pete" as we named him, looking down from the aft cabin above our cabin.

Pete.pdf

2 years ago we were sailing Celebrity out of Seattle for an Alaskan cruise and set sail on July 4. my kids were commenting that they weren't going to get to see fireworks that night. about 9:30 PM I was sitting on our aft balcony and we were close to the end of land, almost past the last islands before hitting the open water.

All of a sudden I saw fireworks going off - there must have been some small town there that was having a fireworks display and we got a great show from the balcony for about 15 to 20 minutes that night. what a great place to see a 4th of July celebration!

My favorite was sailing from Monte Carlo towards Barcelona. The captain stayed as close to shore as he was allowed and cruised along the Riviera at about 7 knots. We ordered dinner on the balcony and watched the lights come on. We sailed this way for several hours.

our friend

gloryvacation4-18051.jpg

What a cute little passenger!

WE saw a whale once. I thought I was seeing things but come to find out another person in our party saw it too, just at a different part of the ship. So I was NOT crazy.

• 6 months later...

July 2009 on Disney Magic somewhere in the Caribbean I was spraying sunscreen on my son out on the balcony. I heard a splash sound that wasn't the usual lapping of waves against the boat. We were pretty high up--deck 10 I think. I looked down and saw a large pod of dolphins swimming along the side of the ship. Awesome experience!

This past summer we were on Celebrity doing an Alaskan cruise. On one of the days at sea, we were on the bridge doing a tour. It was rather crowed and the weather was dismal that day. Since I couldn't really see the console, I decided to scan the horizon looking for whales. I was growing disappointed, but kept looking. The tour was over, everyone was leaving. I hung back and kept scanning. I was rewarded with two whales breaching the surface out along the horizon. It was an even more awesome experience than the dolphins!

Always keep your eyes open! :p

I've only been on one cruise, but one of the coolest things I saw at sea was this. I was out on our balcony one night just staring out at the sea and the stars. It was so dark so I couldn't see much, but it was still just so, so peaceful feeling so far away from it all, listening to the sound of the waves and just seeing 'nothing' but stars. Then out of 'nowhere' I saw another cruise ship off in the distance, all lit up and it was just so pretty and majestic! I can't even describe the feeling of just being "away" and at total peace - I'm sure you all understand :) It was a cool moment!

Archived