Will someone share photos of Costa Maya?

2PinaColadas

We were there 2 years ago, so I don't know whether things have changed. We did not spend any time at the port facilities, but instead took a taxi to Mahahaul ($5 RT). It is a very small Mexican town with a sand covered street down the middle that has shops and restaurants on one side and a very narrow beach and restaurant tables on the other side. The water is very calm. (As opposed to the manmade beach at the port which is rough and rocky.) We did the tour of Chachobben (sp?) with David and Ivan (can show you pics of that if you want) and then ate and relaxed in Mahahaul before returning to the ship. We actually really enjoyed this port and are looking forward to returning to Costa Maya on our cruise this summer. Here are a few pics taken in Mahahaul.

PICT0086.jpg.302db8f11a245e5973523660d63e3a86.jpg

PICT0089.jpg.9489ee5d2b0adee5c3c3ffde2624292c.jpg

PICT0094.jpg.89c2b4d09864df97af44978d611ef328.jpg

Here are a few photos of Chacchoben. There are several Mayan ruins there.

My photos of Costa Maya aren't that great since it was overcast and rainy the day we were there, but if you do a Cruise Critic search, you can find posts with some really beautiful pictures.

PICT0066.jpg.41f1f26a57609f4c75157f2c93a0cfef.jpg

PICT0075.jpg.9c297110d001729aac0a520a49a9ba4c.jpg

PICT0081.jpg.f39d3d3991f0960f1dc3fd3a38f2bec5.jpg

PICT0082.jpg.c1774e6b61824448c428e508dffb60fb.jpg

wow, Sargent, thank you for sharing your pictures. They were really great! You have a great underwater camera! You are very funny, too, to go through the hole in the fence in Costa Maya. That is something my hubby and I would do, but I'll be with my mom and doubt she'll want to explore like that :)

Thanks for posting, those were the best pics I've seen yet.

Lynn

Cruiser620: What time did D&I start there tour? I was curious if I had time to do the tour (4 hr) then go to town shop a bit, visit cats meow, get a massage and a little beach then back to the pier? Do you think you would have had time for all of that? We will be there from 12:00 pm till 8:00 PM. What time does it get dark there?

Thanks,

Danielle

Danielle, You'll have to check with D&I about what time their tour will leave. Different ships dock at different times, so the time of their tour varies depending on which ship is in port. Since you are in port for 8 hours you should have plenty of time to do everything you want to do. I don't remember what time we docked since it was 2 years ago, but at that time the D&I tour was leaving from Cat's Meow. We got off the ship and took the $3 transportation to Mahahual and met up with our tour group. After the tour we shopped and walked around Mahahual and sat at a table by the beach and ate at a retaurant called Tapas. There was lots of time to relax. We took the $2 cab back to the port and looked around there a little while, but it was very very touristy and felt like a rip off. The time it gets dark depends on what month you are going.

You can check out my photos at http://community.webshots.com/user/DandyTwister

pages 1 - 7 are of Costa Maya.

We did the xtreme speedboating and it was a BLAST!!! This is not the kind of thing we would usually do but decided to step out of our comfort zone because they said the boats are simple to use even for people with no experience...which would be us....and they were right!!! It was a alot of fun, included lunch and a drink and our guide cutting us down coconuts to drink from plus a little time for a swim in the ocean. (you can get out of the boats at the half way point to swim - hubby did but I didn't as there is no ladder to get back on and I didn't think I could haul this big old butt in). There was also plenty of time after the excursion to go back and shop, find a quiet hammock away from the pool (which seemed way to crowded and loud for my liking) have a drink and go swimming in the ocean again.

It was a lot of fun. Enjoy your trip whatever you do there!!

Take care

Tracey

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our day in Majahaul was one of our best cruise days ever! Take a taxi from the cruise ship created port and head to the 'little fishing village' of Majahaul and find a place on the beach to relax, swim and eat local seafood for a very reasonable price.

Here is picture of "Main Street", lined with vendors & restaurants:

1366752588071903042S600x600Q85.jpg

The water was crystal blue & the area is protected by a reef, so it is always calm.

1367851167071903042S600x600Q85.jpg

You can find additional pictures when you click on the link in my signature in the "Explorer of the Seas" album, beginning on page 2.:)

Enjoy your cruise!

The water was crystal blue & the area is protected by a reef, so it is always calm.

1367851167071903042S600x600Q85.jpg

You can find additional pictures when you click on the link in my signature in the "Explorer of the Seas" album, beginning on page 2.:)

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks! The jet ski picture really helped my cause.

My brother & nephew rented them. They just walked down the beach a little ways from where we were planted. I'm not sure of the cost, but since everything else in Majahaul was very reasonable, I'm sure those were, too!:D

Thanks for the input. I am new to these boards and everyone has helped me so much.

When you say "planted" does that mean, they rented the wave runners at the beach in the pier area, or were the wave runners in the majahaul area?

This port tends to confuse me. Costa Maya is not the same as majahaul right? Or is majahaul a beach in Costa Maya? Anyway, thanks for the help.

Thanks for the input. I am new to these boards and everyone has helped me so much.

When you say "planted" does that mean, they rented the wave runners at the beach in the pier area, or were the wave runners in the majahaul area?

This port tends to confuse me. Costa Maya is not the same as majahaul right? Or is majahaul a beach in Costa Maya? Anyway, thanks for the help.

It is really simple. Costa Maya is the made up name for the cruise port. The port has a shopping village next to the pier. Majahual is the actual name of the fishing village nearby about 1 mile away.

They dont rent the Wave Runners at the pier in the port, you have to go into the village for that. Rental cost varies, I have seen it as cheap as $10 and expensive as $60 for 1/2 hour.

They dont have any Seadoos for rent. The one guy who tried it shut down his business because they were constantly breaking down. You can see his units on an empty lot as you go into the village. Most of the vendors uses Yamaha Wave Runners because they are more reliable. Seadoos keep me in business and allows me to take most of my cruises because of all the repairs. :)

The generic term for the units is Personal Watercraft or PWC. The following are brand trademarks Kawasaki=Jetski; Yamaha=WaveRunners; Bombardier=Seadoo; Arctic Cat=Tigershark; and Polaris Industries=Polaris.

Dave

Jetskier answerd most of your question very well, probably better than I could!:) When I said "planted" I just meant the spot on the beach where we chose to "plant ourselves" for the day! Go to Majahaul - it's a great place. Much better than spending the day in the cruise ship craeated port of Costa Maya!:cool:

Thanks for all the great info. Does anyone know if you can rent a car to go to that beach and if so how much.

Thanks again

No car rentals that I am aware of, but you can rent a golf cart. Cars are not allowed on the beach road in town but golf carts are. The town is about 1 mile from the port.

Dave

Archived