Previous suite guests

woodmill100

To save our blushes on our first proper cruise, what can you tell me about suite life that you wouldn't necessarily know if you haven't done it before?

The reason I ask is I always seem to embarrass myself, ie when we first travelled business class on british airways, we were obviously allowed access to the BA lounge. When we arrived, I asked a chap in a suit for a glass of white wine and a lager, only to establish that he was infact a fellow passenger and that the bar and food was selfserve :o !!

Is there a separate line for boarding the ship on the first day?

Do you just walk into the Neptune lounge and help yourself?

anything else?

Basic stuff but I always seem to get it wrong!

Hi woodmill,

There is a separate line in the boarding area for suite guests. When you walk into the Neptune lounge the concierge will recognize you from your boarding picture but It doesn't hurt to introduce yourself to her. She'll already know your cabin number.

Throughout the cruise you will get invitations to suite functions. When you are among other non-suite passengers you will not be treated differently.

As a suite guest, You may have breakfast in the Pinnacle grill at no charge. At other dining times the pinnacle has a charge for all guests.

You may have hot hors d'oueves delivered to your suite for just yourselves or up to 6 non-suite guests including yourselves (8). If some others are suite guests you can increase the number. You will receive a complimentary bottle of champagne in your cabin at boarding, and dinner menus delivered around noon every day. Corsages and boutonnaires are given to suite guests for the first formal night, but not everyone wears them. I suggest that you take time to read all the info waiting in your room, as at first we missed some amenities.

Enjoy your suite,

GN

Also, some ships require your room key card to enter the Neptune Lounge. Just look for the slot above the handle.

You will also find binoculars and a large umbrella in your suite for your use while cruising.

Yes, there will be a separate check-in line for suite passengers. Normally there is an agent stationed at or near the entrance to the terminal who will direct you to the proper line.

The Neptune Lounge is basically self-service with snacks, juices, coffee, tea, etc. It's a very nice area to sometimes sit and relax but not really meant as a major venue or entertainment area. There is a concierge station with one or two people to take care of your needs like booking a night in the Pinnacle Grill or a shore excursion or pretty much any other service available on or through the ship. The Neptune Lounge is not a lounge in the sense of a bar so it's not a place you go to for a drink.

Once you have checked in at the pier, your ID card will be GOLD. You show this card and you can get right on the ship as soon as they call for the suite passengers.

You also have priority for tender ports. If you are not on a HAL excursion, just go down to the tender area, show your GOLD ID card and join the others in the line to get on the tender.

Don't be surprised if the concierge knows your name by the time you get there. Once the ID picture is taken, they have immediate access to it via their computers.

Also - if you have a special need/request, the Neptune concierge will help you - resolve billing problems, dinner reservations and even get the hotel where you left your charging dock for your electric toothbrush to your suite before sailing! (we had left ours, discovered it at 1530, 1.5 hours prior to sailing and Rommel, Volendam, came through).

You will love the suite life. Here is a page of pictures:

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/zsuite.html

The Neptune Lounge is basically a large living room. There are comfy chairs and tables, books and magazines, and a TV set. There is a coffee/tea/espresso machine and juice. There is a magic little dome which is always filled up with goodies -- continental breakfast, light lunch, hors d'oeuvres and you help yourself. The concierge will perform any functions that you would normally wait in line at the Purser's desk for, make all your reservations, etc. Just ask!

Also laundry is free so let your room steward take care of that.

Rather than showing our card, we received printed priority tender passes in our room.

I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

There is one big negative for most people who book an S suite. After experiencing the whole range of suite amenities plus the larger cabin, it's almost impossible to go back to a regular cabin, as you're hooked on the S life.

Everyone above has pretty said it all. A couple of Suite perk tips, however. We don't like a full breakfast. Tried it the first day on the cruise and felt like a slug for the next four hours. After that, I just walked to the Neptune and selected some fruit, juice a few rolls and cappucino to bring back to the cabin. You can take it all back with you in one trip if you take the silver tray from beneath your water pitcher. It works and the concierge got a big kick out of it. We like hors doeuvres with cocktails at around 5:00. Tell the concierge you want a standing order for hot hors doeuvres at 5:00 and you get'em. Also, we like our cappucino a little stronger than the machine pours. I found that if you first get a single shot of espresso you can then get the cappucino and you have a better cup of coffee. The cup size just fits. Also...use the concierge. They are great. Will make table reservations and if you ask for a window, you will usually get it. If there are any bumps along the road (our excursion for a 10:15 float plane had been changed for 7:00 -- too early!), they deal with it pronto.

We were just upgraded to an SS suite on the Zuiderdam, but I believe they do not qualify for those extra perks y'all are speaking of.....correct. So when folks say "S suites" getting all the things such as the Neptune.......that does not mean "all S suites", right?? It looks like a great room, though. gg

Those in Deluxe Suites, (SA, SB and SC on the VISTA Class ) as well as the PH are able to take advantage of all suite benefits. When you look at the difference in price associated with these cabins, nothing is "free". These passengers ususally pay a substantial premium for the exclusive benefits associated with booking these cabins. They are also often amongst the first cabins to sell out on a cruise. On a square footage basis, they are good values, compared to all other cabins. Conversely, most of the out of cabin/onboard experience is the same, regardless of cabin.

As to the boutonierre & corsage, we did not get them on our last cruise on the Veendam. I was quite surprised but figured that was another perkHAL was dispensing with.

Also, I had to ask how to work the cappucino machine - such a dummy me!

Sometimes the lid is down over the finger foods that are on ice. Just ask the concierge to open it, or you can use the button on the side of the stand to raise the dome.

To clarify the priority tendering, it does not mean you get to go to the head of the line, you are just allowed to enter the tender line whenever you get there without having to get a tender pass that is numbered.

Happy sailing!

We are in an SY suite. I understand that that level of suite does not have access to the Neptune Lounge. Is that correct? What is the difference in the "suite life"? TIA, Linda

Here's what I found on HAL's website.

VERANDAH SUITES AND SUPERIOR VERANDAH SUITES (SS-SY-SZ)

* Personalized cruise stationary

* Elegant bathrobe for use on your cruise

* Fresh flowers and fruit assortment

* Oversized bath towels

* A selection of pillows (firm, medium and soft) are presented on each bed for the guests' enjoyment.

* Luxurious beds featuring Sealy® Premium Euro-Top mattresses and finely woven cotton linens

* A no-host mini-bar for easy entertaining in your suite

* DVD or VCR player and the use of an extensive DVD or VHS tape library

* 24-HOUR TELEPHONE CONCIERGE - Service available via special dedicated "At Your Service" telephone line

PENTHOUSE VERANDAH SUITES AND DELUXE VERANDAH SUITES (PS-SA-SB-SC)

Include all the Verandah Suite amenities, plus:

* Use of the exclusive Neptune Lounge and personal concierge service

* Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise

* Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers

* Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night

* Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request

* Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise

* Cocktail party with ship officers

* Priority boarding for tender ports of call

* Special disembarkation service

* Priority dining and seating requests

* Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only

* High tea service in suite on request

* A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length (we had the lunch on our last day at sea. Ours was a 7-day cruise, so they may have changed this since we cruised earlier this year)

Conversely, most of the out of cabin/onboard experience is the same, regardless of cabin.

And that's exactly what we saw. We had friends who were in another catagory and they experienced the same level of service that we did.

So if you can't or just don't want to spend the extra money on a deluxe suite, or the penthouse suite, you're still going to have a wonderful experience.

I am not sure if I am honest. We will be on Ryndam in a deluxe verandah suite which is classed as an S Suite.

On that ship, it's the PS and S that get the additional perks. And I think it's the same on all the other similar ships that size. It's the Vista Class that has the mutliple S levels of which the top three (and the PS) get to utilize all the suite perks.

Our TA covered all this with us, and I have to admit, I didn't get it all the first time (or even the second time). I think calling other levels "suites" is a bit misleading...to a certain extent. But that's just me...confused a lot and easily. :)

I am getting really exicted reading these posts. My cruise leaves in 2 weeks!!!:)

My brother and I are taking my parents along with some other family members to celebrate their 50th Anniversary and my Dad's 80th Birthday. We were originally booked many months ago to sail on the Noordam leaving July 8th but evidently they had 3 large groups and became extremely overbooked. They wanted our 3 rooms so bad that they kept making upgrade offers to get us to give up our rooms which were VD Guarantee. We finally decided the offer was too good to give up...so we are now in 3 SA Suites on the Oosterdam leaving only a day earlier than originally planned. I am afraid I will never be able to cruise again after getting a taste of the Suite life. But I am so excited that we are able to add this extra perk to our Parent's special vacation. They have no idea we made the switch yet...it will be quite a surprise! :D

As to the boutonierre & corsage, we did not get them on our last cruise on the Veendam. I was quite surprised but figured that was another perkHAL was dispensing with.

Also, I had to ask how to work the cappucino machine - such a dummy me!

Sometimes the lid is down over the finger foods that are on ice. Just ask the concierge to open it, or you can use the button on the side of the stand to raise the dome.

To clarify the priority tendering, it does not mean you get to go to the head of the line, you are just allowed to enter the tender line whenever you get there without having to get a tender pass that is numbered.

Happy sailing!

The "boutinerre & corsage" on the Noordam in May were simply small carnations with pins...very boring.

The cappacino machine is WONDERFUL! Oh, as to that. I embarrassed myself one morning when I woke up earlier than I had pre-ordered room service and sat there like a dummy wanting coffee. My brain finally woke up enough to realize all I had to do was walk down the hall to the Neptune Lounge and I could have all the coffee, fruit and danish I wanted!:p I'm really NO GOOD without coffee, obviously! Oh, and you can walk down there in your bathrobe if you like as well. Some may frown on it, but others do it to.

As to the tender line, Sitka was the only place we had to tender but there was a very long line to get on them, but when I showed my suite card I was directed another way around all the waiting people and directly onto a tender....so it DOES get you to the head of the line.:D

They wanted our 3 rooms so bad that they kept making upgrade offers to get us to give up our rooms which were VD Guarantee. We finally decided the offer was too good to give up...so we are now in 3 SA Suites on the Oosterdam leaving only a day earlier than originally planned. I am afraid I will never be able to cruise again after getting a taste of the Suite life.

Wow, that is a HUGE upgrade. You are going to LOVE it!!! What a sweet deal...glad it worked out for you and your family.

And the Suite Life is very addictive. :)

What a wonderful way to celebrate a 50th anniversary, and 80th birthday. You are in for such a treat! And what a wonderful surprise it will be for them...being in an SA Suite. :)

Wow, that is a HUGE upgrade. You are going to LOVE it!!! What a sweet deal...glad it worked out for you and your family.

And the Suite Life is very addictive. :)

What a wonderful way to celebrate a 50th anniversary, and 80th birthday. You are in for such a treat! And what a wonderful surprise it will be for them...being in an SA Suite. :)

Thanks twinkletoes!!

I really can't wait! I know this is not a typical upgrade...I have been told its extremely rare to get upgraded from a VD all the way to SA. Originally we were assigned a VB cabin from the VD guarantee but I guess since we had 3 rooms to give up and they were really desperate for rooms, they went over and above the norm. In addition to the cabin upgrade, we got on board credits, transfers from airport to ship, ship to hotel and hotel to airport again along with a post night at the Fairmont Olympic in Seattle.

I think since they had these 3 large groups, it was hard for them to find anyone to actually switch to another cruise. We had our hearts set on the Noordam but after everything they offered we decided the Oosterdam sounded pretty comparable and all those perks were too hard to pass up! And it didn't interfere with our original flight plans!!! My parents are going to be floored! :D

Kris - Windy City -As for the lack of corsage and boutonniere on the Veendam, I thought that I had just forgotten to look in the refrigerator and laughed at myself for forgetting. Did they never deliver them?

Also, was that the night that you had your renewal of vows ceremony?

Roberta

Roberta

Archived